Spontaneous adverse event reports associated with zolpidem in Australia 2001–2008
Version of Record online: 11 APR 2011
© 2011 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 20, Issue 4, pages 559–568, December 2011
How to Cite
BEN-HAMOU, M., MARSHALL, N. S., GRUNSTEIN, R. R., SAINI, B. and FOIS, R. A. (2011), Spontaneous adverse event reports associated with zolpidem in Australia 2001–2008. Journal of Sleep Research, 20: 559–568. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2011.00919.x
- Issue online: 14 NOV 2011
- Version of Record online: 11 APR 2011
- Accepted in revised form 12 March 2011; received 18 January 2011
- Australian Adverse Drug Reactions Advisory Committee (ADRAC). Zolpidem and bizarre sleep related effects. Aust. Adv. Drug React. Bull., 2007, 26: 2.
- Hypnosedative-induced complex behaviours: incidence, mechanisms and management. CNS Drugs, 2008, 22: 1021–1036. and
- Adverse drug reactions: definitions, diagnosis, and management. Lancet, 2000, 356: 1255–12159. and
- ‘Stepped care’: a health technology solution for delivering cognitive behavioral therapy as a first line insomnia treatment. Sleep, 2009, 32: 1549–1558.
- Zolpidem in insomnia: a 3-year post-marketing surveillance study in Switzerland. J. Int. Med. Res., 1995, 23: 61–73. , , , and
- Safety and tolerance of zolpidem in the treatment of disturbed sleep: a post-marketing surveillance of 16944 cases. Int. Clin. Psychopharmacol., 1998, 13: 157–167. and
- Anxiolytic, hypnotic and sedative medication use in Australia. Pharmacoepidemiol. Drug Saf., 2010, 19: 280–288. and
- Zolpidem-induced sleepwalking, sleep related eating disorder, and sleep-driving: fluorine-18-flourodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography analysis, and a literature review of other unexpected clinical effects of zolpidem. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2009, 5: 471–476. and
- Risk predictors for hypnosedative-related complex sleep behaviors: a retrospective, cross-sectional pilot study. J. Clin. Psychiatry, 2010, 71: 1331–1335. , , , and
- Institute of Medicine (USA). Sleep Disorders and Sleep Deprivation: An Unmet Public Health Problem. Institute of Medicine, Washington, DC, 2006.
- late-afternoon ethanol intake affects nocturnal sleep and the sleep EEG in middle-aged men. J. Clin. Psychopharmacol., 1996, 16: 428–436. , , and
- Zolpidem and sleep deprivation: different effect on EEG power spectra. J. Sleep Res., 2000, 9: 175–183. , , , , and
- Prevalence and correlates of frequent nightmares: a community-based 2-phase study. Sleep, 2010, 33: 774–780. , , and
- Anxiolytics, hypnotics, and antidepressants dispensed to adolescents in a French region in 2002. Pharmacoepidemiol. Drug Saf., 2006, 15: 494–503. , , et al.
- Zolpidem-induced psychosis. Ann. Clin. Psychiatry, 1996, 8: 89–91. and
- Parasomnias: an overview. Ind. J. Med. Res., 2010, 131: 333–337. and
- Sleepwalking associated with zolpidem. J. Clin. Psychopharmacol., 1994, 14: 150.
- Conventional and power spectrum analysis of the effects of zolpidem on sleep EEG in patients with chronic primary insomnia. Sleep, 2000, 23: 1075–1084. , and
- Amnestic sleep-related eating disorder associated with zolpidem. Sleep Med., 2002, 3: 323–327. and
- Cognitive behavioral therapy, singly and combined with medication, for persistent insomnia: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA, 2009, 301: 2005–2015. , , et al.
- NIH Statement Regarding Treatment of Insomnia. National Institutes of Health State of the Science Conference Statement on Manifestations and Management of Chronic Insomnia in Adults. Sleep, 2005, 28: 1049–1057.
- Hypnotic hazards: adverse effects of zolpidem and other z-drugs. Aust. Prescriber, 2008, 31: 146–149.
- The direct and indirect costs of untreated insomnia in adults in the United States. Sleep, 2007, 30: 263–273. , and
- No scientific evidence that alcohol causes sleepwalking. J. Sleep Res., 2008, 17: 473–474. , , and
- Prevalence and cost of insomnia in a state Medicaid fee-for-service population based on diagnostic codes and prescription utilization. Sleep Med., 2010, 11: 462–469. and
- Detection of adverse drug reactions through the minimum basic data set. Pharm. World Sci., 2010, 33: 322–328. , , et al.
- Open long-term trials with zolpidem in insomnia. In: J. Sauvanet, S. Langer and P. Morselli (Eds) Imidazopyridines in Sleep Disorders. Raven Press, New York, 1988: 339–349. , , , , and
- Zolpidem-induced sleep related eating disorder (SRED) in 19 patients. Sleep, 2005, 28: A259. , and
- Clinical guideline for the evaluation and management of chronic insomnia in adults. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2008, 4: 487–504. , , , and
- Prevalence, burden, and treatment of insomnia in primary care. Am. J. Psychiatry, 1997, 154: 1417–1423. and
- Zolpidem-induced amnesia and somnambulism: rare occurrences? Eur. Neuropsychopharmacol., 2009, 19: 74–76. , , et al.
- A comparison of measures of disproportionality for signal detection in spontaneous reporting systems for adverse drug reactions. Pharmacoepidemiol. Drug Saf., 2002, 11: 3–10. , , , , and
- Sleep-related eating disorder and zolpidem: an open interventional cohort study. J. Clin. Psychiatry, 2010, 71: 653–656. , , , and