Sleep and decision making
Sleep-dependent modulation of affectively guided decision-making
Version of Record online: 27 APR 2011
© 2011 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 21, Issue 1, pages 30–39, February 2012
How to Cite
PACE-SCHOTT, E. F., NAVE, G., MORGAN, A. and SPENCER, R. M. C. (2012), Sleep-dependent modulation of affectively guided decision-making. Journal of Sleep Research, 21: 30–39. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2011.00921.x
- Issue online: 20 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 27 APR 2011
- Accepted in revised form 25 March 2011; received 6 December 2010
- Insensitivity to future consequences following damage to human prefrontal cortex. Cognition, 1994, 50: 7–15. , , and
- Deciding advantageously before knowing the advantageous strategy. Science, 1997, 275: 1293–1295. , , and
- Different contributions of the human amygdala and ventromedial prefrontal cortex to decision-making. J. Neurosci., 1999, 19: 5473–5481. , , and
- Regional cerebral blood flow throughout the sleep-wake cycle. An H2(15)O PET study. Brain, 1997, 120(Pt 7): 1173–1197. , , et al.
- The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index: a new instrument for psychiatric practice and research. Psychiatry Res., 1989, 28: 193–213. , ., , and .
- REM, not incubation, improves creativity by priming associative networks. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 2009, 106: 10130–10134. , , , and
- Functional imaging of working memory following normal sleep and after 24 and 35 h of sleep deprivation: correlations of fronto-parietal activation with performance. Neuroimage, 2006, 31: 419–428. , , , , and
- Revised NEO Personality Inventory (NEO-PI-R) and NEO Five-Factor Inventory (NEO-FFI) Professional Manual. Psychological Assessment Resources, Odessa, FL, 1992. and
- Sleep enhances category learning. Learn. Mem., 2009, 16: 751–755. , , , , and
- Effects of two nights sleep deprivation and two nights recovery sleep on response inhibition. J. Sleep Res., 2006, 15: 261–265. , and
- Human relational memory requires time and sleep. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 2007, 104: 7723–7728. , , , and
- Somatic markers and explicit knowledge are both involved in decision-making. Neuropsychologia, 2009, 47: 2120–2124. , , , , and
- The impact of sleep deprivation on decision making: a review. J. Exp. Psychol. Appl., 2000, 6: 236–249. and
- Quantification of sleepiness: a new approach. Psychophysiology, 1973, 10: 431–436. , , , and
- A self-assessment questionnaire to determine morningness-eveningness in human circadian rhythms. Int. J. Chronobiol., 1976, 4: 97–110. and
- Sleepiness in different situations measured by the Epworth Sleepiness Scale. Sleep, 1994, 17: 703–710.
- Impaired decision making following 49 h of sleep deprivation. J. Sleep Res., 2006, 15: 7–13. , and
- The effects of 53 hours of sleep deprivation on moral judgment. Sleep, 2007, 30: 345–352. , , , , and
- Distinct roles of prefrontal cortical subregions in the Iowa Gambling Task. Cereb. Cortex, 2009, 19: 1134–1143. , , , and
- The Iowa Gambling Task in fMRI images. Hum. Brain Mapp., 2010, 31: 410–423. , , , and
- The effects of sleep deprivation on information-integration categorization performance. Sleep, 2009, 32: 1439–1448. , , et al.
- Increased activation of anterior paralimbic and executive cortex from waking to rapid eye movement sleep in depression. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 2004, 61: 695–702. , , et al.
- Awareness modifies the skill-learning benefits of sleep. Curr. Biol., 2004, 14: 208–212. , and
- The kappa statistic in reliability studies: use, interpretation, and sample size requirements. Phys. Ther., 2005, 85: 257–268. and
- Sleep does not benefit probabilistic motor sequence learning. J. Neurosci., 2007, 27: 12475–12483. , and .
- Sleep-dependent consolidation of contextual learning. Curr. Biol., 2006, 16: 1001–1005. , and
- Sleep deprivation elevates expectation of gains and attenuates response to losses following risky decisions. Sleep, 2007, 30: 603–609. , , and
- Affective guidance in the Iowa gambling task. Cogn. Affect. Behav. Neurosci., 2006, 6: 277–290. and
- Sleep inspires insight. Nature, 2004, 427: 352–355. , , , and
- Sleep, memory, and plasticity. Annu. Rev. Psychol., 2006, 57: 139–166. and
- Using cognitive models to map relations between neuropsychological disorders and human decision-making deficits. Psychol. Sci., 2005, 16: 973–978. Direct Link:, , and
- Shifting from implicit to explicit knowledge: different roles of early- and late-night sleep. Learn. Mem., 2008, 15: 508–515. , , , , and