Sleep in infants and children
Knowledge of childhood sleep: a possible variable in under or misdiagnosis of childhood sleep problems
Version of Record online: 26 APR 2011
© 2011 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 20, Issue 4, pages 589–597, December 2011
How to Cite
SCHRECK, K. A. and RICHDALE, A. L. (2011), Knowledge of childhood sleep: a possible variable in under or misdiagnosis of childhood sleep problems. Journal of Sleep Research, 20: 589–597. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2011.00922.x
- Issue online: 14 NOV 2011
- Version of Record online: 26 APR 2011
- Accepted in revised form 25 March 2011; received 9 November 2010
- Australasian Sleep Association. Australasian Sleep Association Newsletter, September, 2009. Australasian Sleep Association, Blacktown, NSW, 2009.
- Nocturnal difficulties in a population of mentally handicapped children. Br. J. Ment. Subnorm., 1985, 31: 54–59. , and
- Child Development, 6th edn. Allyn & Bacon, Boston, 2006.
- Sleep problems associated with poor outcomes in remedial teaching programmes: a preliminary study. J. Paediatr. Child Health, 2007, 44: 237–242. and
- Are sleep problems under-recognised in general practice? Arch. Dis. Child., 2004, 89: 708–712. , , , , and
- Resident training in developmental/behavioral pediatrics: where do we stand? Clin. Pediatr., 2007, 46: 135–145. , , and
- Sleep quality and psychological wellbeing in mothers of children with developmental disabilities. Res. Dev. Disabil., 2009, 30: 1512–1522. and
- Sleep problems and daytime behaviour problems in children with intellectual disability. J. Intellect. Disabil. Res., 2002, 46: 537–547. , , , and
- Sleepiness in children and adolescents: clinical implications. Sleep Med. Rev., 2002, 6: 287–306. , and
- Sleep problems of parents of typically developing children and parents of children with autism. J. Genet. Psychol., 2008, 169: 245–259. , , , and
- Sleep and sleep disorders in children and adolescents. Psychiatr. Clin. North Am., 2006, 29: 1059–1076. and
- Relationship between child sleep disturbances and maternal sleep, mood, and parenting stress: a pilot study. J. Fam. Psychol., 2007, 21: 67–73. and
- Clinical psychology training in sleep and sleep disorders. J. Clin. Psychol., 2009, 65: 305–318. , and
- Sleep disorders in children. Health Psychol., 1993, 12: 151–162.
- Sleep problems in pediatric practice: clinical issues for the pediatric nurse practitioner. J. Pediatr. Health Care, 2003, 17: 324–331. and
- Pediatricians and sleep disorders: training and practice. Pediatrics, 1994, 94: 194–200. , , , and
- Behavioral treatment of bedtime problems and night wakings in infants and young children. Sleep, 2006, 29: 1263–1276. , , , and
- Physician education in sleep disorders. J. Med. Educ., 1980, 55: 367–369. , , and
- The practice of pediatric sleep medicine: results of a community survey. Pediatrics, 2001, 108: 755. Available at: http://www.pediatrics.org/cgi/content/full/108/3/e51 (accessed 14 April 2011).
- Pediatric sleep medicine: priorities for research, patient care, policy, and education. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2005, 2: 77–88. and
- Sleep problems in primary school children: comparison between mainstream and special school children. Child Care Health Dev., 2001, 27: 201–221.
- What do mothers know? Maternal knowledge of child development. Infant Ment. Health J., 2005, 26: 143–156.
- Sleep problems in children with an intellectual disability: parental views of treatment, satisfaction and effectiveness. Child Care Health Dev., 2004, 30: 139–150. and
- Pediatric Sleep Medicine. W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia, PA, 1992. , and
- A Clinical Guide to Sleep Disorders in Children and Adolescents. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2001.
- Parental understanding and attitudes of pediatric obstructive sleep apnea and adenotonsillectomy. Int. J. Pediatr. Otorhinolaryngol., 2007, 71: 1709–1715. and
- Low-income adolescent mother’s knowledge about domains of child development. Inf. Mental Health J., 2002, 23: 88–103. , and
- Risk factors and consequences of early childhood dyssomnias: new perspectives. Sleep Med. Rev., 2009, 13: 355–361. , , and
- Sleep problems in children with severe intellectual disabilities: what help is being provided? J. Appl. Res. Intellect. Disabil., 1996, 9: 159–164. and
- Factors affecting parental reports of the sleep patterns in children with severe learning disabilities. Br. J. Health Psychol., 1998, 3: 345–359. and