Sleep apnoea phenotypes
Variability of human upper airway collapsibility during sleep and the influence of body posture and sleep stage
Version of Record online: 9 MAY 2011
© 2011 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 20, Issue 4, pages 533–537, December 2011
How to Cite
ONG, J. S. L., TOUYZ, G., TANNER, S., HILLMAN, D. R., EASTWOOD, P. R. and WALSH, J. H. (2011), Variability of human upper airway collapsibility during sleep and the influence of body posture and sleep stage. Journal of Sleep Research, 20: 533–537. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2011.00925.x
- Issue online: 14 NOV 2011
- Version of Record online: 9 MAY 2011
- Accepted in revised form 5 March 2011; received 13 December 2010
- Measurement in medicine: the analysis of method comparison studies. J. R. Stat. Soc. Series D, Statistician, 1983, 32: 307–317. and
- Mouth-opening increases upper-airway collapsibility without changing resistance during midazolam sedation. J. Dent. Res., 2004, 83: 718–722. , , et al.
- Abbreviated method for assessing upper airway function in obstructive sleep apnea. Chest, 2000, 118: 1031–1041. , , et al.
- Random effects models in clinical research. Int. J. Clin. Pharmcol. Ther., 2008, 46: 421–427. and
- Upper airway collapsibility in snorers and in patients with obstructive hypopnea and apnea. Am. Rev. Respir. Dis., 1991, 143: 1300–1303. , , , , and
- Upper airway collapsibility during sleep in upper airway resistance syndrome. Chest, 2002, 121: 1531–1540. , , and
- The AASM Manual for the Scoring of Sleep and Associated Events: Rules, Terminology and Technical Specifications, 1st edn. American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Westchester, IL, 2007. , , and
- Relationship between surface tension of upper airway lining liquid and upper airway collapsibility during sleep in obstructive sleep apnea hypopnea syndrome. J. Appl. Physiol., 2003, 95: 1761–1766. , , , and
- Performance characteristics of upper airway critical collapsing pressure measurements during sleep. Sleep, 2011, 34: 459–467. , , et al.
- Effect of sleep position and sleep stage on the collapsibility of the upper airways in patients with sleep apnea. Sleep, 2001, 24: 90–95. , , , and
- Upper airway function and arousability to ventilatory challenge in slow wave versus stage 2 sleep in obstructive sleep apnoea. Thorax, 2010, 65: 107–112. , , et al.
- Pathogenesis of upper airway occlusion during sleep. J. Appl. Physiol., 1978, 44: 931–938. , , and
- The hypotonic upper airway in obstructive sleep apnea: role of structures and neuromuscular activity. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 1998, 157: 1051–1057. , , et al.
- Effect of end-expiratory lung volume on upper airway collapsibility in sleeping men and women. J. Appl. Physiol., 2010, 109: 977–985. , , , , and
- Evaluation of pharyngeal shape and size using anatomical optical coherence tomography in individuals with and without obstructive sleep apnoea. J. Sleep Res., 2008a, 17: 1–9. , , et al.
- Influence of head extension, flexion, and rotation on collapsibility of the passive upper airway. Sleep, 2008b, 31: 1440–1447. , , , and