Sleep in infants and children
Parental report of infant sleep behavior by electronic versus paper-and-pencil diaries, and their relationship to actigraphic sleep measurement
Version of Record online: 27 JUN 2011
© 2011 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 20, Issue 4, pages 598–605, December 2011
How to Cite
MÜLLER, S., HEMMI, M. H., WILHELM, F. H., BARR, R. G. and SCHNEIDER, S. (2011), Parental report of infant sleep behavior by electronic versus paper-and-pencil diaries, and their relationship to actigraphic sleep measurement. Journal of Sleep Research, 20: 598–605. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2011.00926.x
- Issue online: 14 NOV 2011
- Version of Record online: 27 JUN 2011
- Accepted in revised form 7 April 2011; received 23 June 2010
- The role of actigraphy in the study of sleep and circadian rhythms. Sleep, 2003, 26: 342–392. , , , , and
- Parental diary of infant cry and fuss behavior. Arch. Dis. Child., 1988, 63: 380–387. , , , and
- Statistical methods for assessing agreement between two methods of clinical measurement. Lancet, 1986, 1: 307–310. and
- Diary methods: capturing life as it is lived. Annu. Rev. Psychol., 2003, 54: 579–616. , and
- A practical guide to experience-sampling procedures. J. Happiness Stud., 2003, 4: 53–78. , , , and
- Despite technical problems personal digital assistants outperform pen and paper when collecting patient diary data. J. Clin. Epidemiol., 2007, 60: 8–17. and
- Sleep-related respiratory abnormalities and arousal pattern in achondroplasia during early infancy. J. Pediatr., 2009, 155: 510–515. , , , , and
- Actigraphic assessment of sleep-wake rhythm during the first 6 months of life. Clin. Neurophysiol., 2002, 113: 1815–1821. , and
- Daily health status registration (patient diary) in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a comparison between personal digital assistant and paper-pencil format. Arthritis Rheum., 2007, 57: 454–460. , , et al.
- Increased carrying reduces infant crying: a randomized controlled trial. Pediatrics, 1986, 77: 641–648. and
- Sleep as a window on the developing brain. Curr. Probl. Pediatr., 1998, 28: 73–92.
- Electronic and paper diary recording of infant and caregiver behaviors. J. Dev. Behav. Pediatr., 2010, 31: 685–693. , , et al.
- Symptom recording in a randomised clinical trial: paper diaries vs. electronic or telephone data capture. Control. Clin. Trials, 2004, 25: 585–597. , , et al.
- Wireless real-time electronic data capture for self-assessment of motor function and quality of life in Parkinson’s disease. Mov. Disord., 2004, 19: 446–451. , and
- A randomized trial of electronic versus paper pain diaries in children: impact on compliance, accuracy, and acceptability. Pain, 2004, 107: 213–219. , and
- Computerized voiding diary. Neurourol. Urodyn., 1993, 12: 541–552. , and
- “Compu-void II”: the computerized voiding diary. J. Med. Syst., 1996, 20: 19–34. , and
- Assessment of intervention for infant night waking: parental reports and activity-based home monitoring. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol., 1994, 62: 63–68.
- Evaluating night wakings in sleep-disturbed infants: a methodological study of parental reports and actigraphy. Sleep, 1996, 19: 757–762.
- Actigraphically based automatic bedtime sleep-wake scoring: validity and clinical applications. J. Ambul. Monit., 1989, 2: 209–216. , , and
- The role of actigraphy in the evaluation of sleep disorders. Sleep, 1995a, 18: 288–302. , , and
- Activity-based assessment of sleep-wake patterns during the 1st year of life. Infant Behav. Dev., 1995b, 18: 329–337. , , , and
- Actigraphy correctly predicts sleep behavior in infants who are younger than six months, when compared with polysomnography. Pediatr. Res., 2005, 58: 761–765. , , and
- The use of actigraphy for assessment of the development of sleep/wake patterns in infants during the first 12 months of life. J. Sleep Res., 2007, 16: 181–187. , and
- Patient compliance with paper and electronic diaries. Control. Clin. Trials, 2003, 24: 182–199. , , , and
- Diaries in clinical psychology and psychotherapy: a selective review. Clin. Psychol. Psychother., 2002, 9: 1–37. , and
- The use of electronic diaries in respiratory studies. Drug Inf. J., 1997, 31: 759–764. , , et al.