Sleep and fibromyalgia
Determinants of sleep quality in middle-aged women with fibromyalgia syndrome
Article first published online: 26 MAY 2011
© 2011 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 21, Issue 1, pages 73–79, February 2012
How to Cite
MUNGUÍA-IZQUIERDO, D. and LEGAZ-ARRESE, A. (2012), Determinants of sleep quality in middle-aged women with fibromyalgia syndrome. Journal of Sleep Research, 21: 73–79. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2011.00929.x
- Issue published online: 20 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 26 MAY 2011
- Accepted in revised form 27 April 2011; received 6 February 2011
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th edn. American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC, 1994.
- Fibromyalgia syndrome: practical strategies for improving diagnosis and patient outcomes. Am. J. Med., 2010, 123: S2. and
- BDI-II. Inventario de Depresión de Beck, 2nd edn. Editorial Paidos, Buenos Aires, 2006. , and
- An internet survey of 2,596 people with fibromyalgia. BMC Musculoskelet. Disord., 2007, 8: 27. , , , and
- Sleep disturbances in fibromyalgia syndrome: relationship to pain and depression. Arthritis Rheum., 2008, 59: 961–967. , , and
- Effects of exercise training on older patients with major depression. Arch. Intern. Med., 1999, 159: 2349–2356. , , et al.
- Sleep stage dynamics in fibromyalgia patients and controls. Sleep Med., 2008, 9: 689–696. , and
- The prevalence and associations of sleep disturbances in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Mod. Rheumatol., 2009, 19: 407–415. , , et al.
- Objective measures of disordered sleep in fibromyalgia. J. Rheumatol., 2009, 36: 2009–2016. , , et al.
- Sleep in fibromyalgia patients: subjective and objective findings. Am. J. Med. Sci., 1998, 315: 367–376.
- The multidimensionality of sleep quality and its relationship to fatigue in older adults with painful osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage, 2010, 18: 1365–1371. , , et al.
- The relationship between insomnia and depressive symptoms: genuine or artifact? Neuropsychiatr. Dis. Treat., 2011, 7: 57–63. and
- Moderate-intensity exercise and self-rated quality of sleep in older adults. A randomized controlled trial. JAMA, 1997, 277: 32–37. , , , and
- Influence of depression on fibromyalgia: a systematic review. Schmerz, 2010, 24: 326–333. and
- Anthropometric Standardization Reference Manual. Human Kinetics Books, Champaign, 1988. , and
- La versión española del índice de calidad de sueño de Pittsburg. Informaciones Psiquiátricas, 1996, 146: 465–472. and
- Prevalence and impact of fibromyalgia on function and quality of life in individuals from the general population: results from a nationwide study in Spain. Clin. Exp. Rheumatol., 2008, 26: 519–526. , , et al.
- Sleep and fibrositis syndrome. Rheum. Dis. Clin. North Am., 1989, 15: 91–103.
- Assessment of the effects of aquatic therapy on global symptomatology in patients with fibromyalgia syndrome: a randomized controlled trial. Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil., 2008, 89: 2250–2257. and
- Transcultural adaptation and psychometric properties of a Spanish-language version of physical activity instruments for patients with fibromyalgia. Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil., 2011, 92: 284–294. , and
- The contribution of pain, reported sleep quality, and depressive symptoms to fatigue in fibromyalgia. Pain, 2002, 100: 271–279. , , and
- Influence of exercise on human sleep. Exerc. Sport Sci. Rev., 1995, 23: 105–134. and
- Relationship between fibromyalgia and obesity in pain, function, mood, and sleep. J. Pain, 2010, 11: 1329–1337. , , and
- Sleep quality in patients with fibromyalgia using the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index. J. Rheumatol., 2006, 33: 1863–1865. , , and
- The relationships between sleep and measures of health and well-being in college students: a repeated measures approach. Behav. Med., 1998, 23: 170–178. and
- Relationship of anxiety disorders, sleep quality, and functional impairment in a community sample. J. Psychiatr. Res., 2009, 43: 926–933. , , et al.
- The Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire: a validated Spanish version to assess the health status in women with fibromyalgia. Clin. Exp. Rheumatol., 2004, 22: 554–560. and
- Multidisciplinary treatment for chronic pain: a systematic review of interventions and outcomes. Rheumatology (Oxford), 2008, 47: 670–678. , , et al.
- STAI: Manual del Cuestionario de Ansiedad Estado-Rasgo, 6th edn. TEA Ediciones, Madrid, 2002. , and
- Exercise, sleep quality, and mediators of sleep in breast and prostate cancer patients receiving radiation therapy. Community Oncol., 2010, 7: 463–471. , , et al.
- Prevalence and correlates of clinical insomnia co-occurring with chronic back pain. J. Sleep Res., 2007, 16: 85–95. , and
- Chronic pain after spinal injury: interference with sleep and daily activities. Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil., 2001, 82: 1571–1577. , and
- The American College of Rheumatology 1990 Criteria for the Classification of Fibromyalgia. Report of the Multicenter Criteria Committee. Arthritis Rheum., 1990, 33: 160–172. , , et al.
- The American College of Rheumatology preliminary diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia and measurement of symptom severity. Arthritis Care Res. (Hoboken), 2010, 62: 600–610. , , et al.