Sleep state independent changes in the EEG
Developmental changes in the sleep electroencephalogram of adolescent boys and girls
Version of Record online: 13 JUN 2011
© 2011 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 21, Issue 1, pages 59–67, February 2012
How to Cite
BAKER, F. C., TURLINGTON, S. R. and COLRAIN, I. (2012), Developmental changes in the sleep electroencephalogram of adolescent boys and girls. Journal of Sleep Research, 21: 59–67. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2011.00930.x
- Issue online: 20 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 13 JUN 2011
- Accepted in revised form 7 May 2011; received 7 February 2011
- EEG sleep slow-wave activity as a mirror of cortical maturation. Cereb. Cortex, 2011, 21: 607–615. , , et al.
- Longitudinal trajectories of non-rapid eye movement delta and theta EEG as indicators of adolescent brain maturation. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 2009, 106: 5177–5180. and
- Sleep EEG evidence of sex differences in adolescent brain maturation. Sleep, 2005, 28: 637–643. , , , and
- A self-administered rating scale for pubertal development. J. Adolesc. Health, 1993, 14: 190–195. and
- Evolution of Sleep and Daytime Sleepiness in Adolescents. Raven Press, New York, 1983. , and
- Age and sex effects in the EEG: development of the normal child. Clin. Neurophysiol., 2001, 112: 806–814. , , and
- Electroencephalographic sleep of healthy children. Part II: findings using automated delta and REM sleep measurement methods. Sleep, 1987, 10: 551–562. , , and
- Changes in sleep as a function of adolescent development. Neuropsychol. Rev., 2011, 21: 5–21. and
- The N550 component of the evoked K-complex: a modality non-specific response? J. Sleep Res., 1999, 8: 273–280. , and
- Independent contributions of cortical gray matter, aging, sex and alcoholism to K-complex amplitude evoked during sleep. Sleep, 2011, 34: 787–795. , , et al.
- Scalp topography of the auditory evoked K-complex in stage 2 and slow wave sleep. J. Sleep Res., 1999, 8: 263–272. , , and
- Pubertal development scale: pubertal categories. Unpublished thesis. University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, 1988.
- Cerebral correlates of delta waves during non-REM sleep revisited. Neuroimage, 2005, 28: 14–21. , , et al.
- Accuracy of pubertal Tanner staging self-reporting. J. Pediatr. Endocrinol. Metab., 2006, 19: 213–221. , , and
- Independent sleep EEG slow-wave and spindle band dynamics associated with 4 weeks of continuous application of short-half-life hypnotics in healthy subjects. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1999, 110: 1965–1974. , , , and
- Schizophrenia: caused by a fault in programmed synaptic elimination during adolescence? J. Psychiatr. Res., 1982, 17: 319–334.
- Sleep EEG changes during adolescence: an index of a fundamental brain reorganization. Brain Cogn., 2010, 72: 56–65. and
- Effects of hypnotics on the sleep EEG of healthy young adults: new data and psychopharmacologic implications. J. Psychiatr. Res., 2000, 34: 423–438. , and
- The adolescent decline of NREM delta, an indicator of brain maturation, is linked to age and sex but not to pubertal stage. Am. J. Physiol. Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol., 2006, 291: R1724–R1729. , , and
- Topographic differences in the adolescent maturation of the slow wave EEG during NREM sleep. Sleep, 2011, 34: 325–333. , , and
- Topographic mapping of the spectral components of the cyclic alternating pattern (CAP). Sleep Med., 2005, 6: 29–36. , , and
- Functional topography of the human nonREM sleep electroencephalogram. Eur. J. Neurosci., 2001, 13: 2282–2290. , and
- Development of the EEG of school-age children and adolescents. II. Topography. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1988a, 69: 100–109. , , , and
- Development of the EEG of school-age children and adolescents. I. Analysis of band power. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1988b, 69: 91–99. , , and
- Brain development during childhood and adolescence: a longitudinal MRI study. Nat. Neurosci., 1999, 2: 861–863. , , et al.
- Spectral analysis of the sleep electroencephalogram during adolescence. Sleep, 2004, 27: 774–783. and
- Regional differences of the sleep electroencephalogram in adolescents. J. Sleep Res., 2005, 14: 141–147. , and
- Longitudinal sleep patterns during pubertal growth: four-year follow up. Pediatr. Res., 1975, 9: 842–846. , , , and
- Schedule for Affective Disorders and Schizophrenia for School-Age Children-Present and Lifetime Version (K-SADS-PL): initial reliability and validity data. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry, 1997, 36: 980–988. , , et al.
- Characteristics of sleep slow waves in children and adolescents. Sleep, 2010a, 33: 475–480. , , , , and
- Mapping of cortical activity in the first two decades of life: a high-density sleep electroencephalogram study. J. Neurosci., 2010b, 30: 13211–13219. , , , , and
- Microstructural maturation of the human brain from childhood to adulthood. Neuroimage, 2008, 40: 1044–1055. , , , and
- The sleep slow oscillation as a traveling wave. J. Neurosci., 2004, 24: 6862–6870. , , , and
- A Manual of Standardized Terminology, Techniques, and Scoring System for Sleep Stages of Human Subjects. National Institutes of Health Publication No. 204, US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, 1968. and
- Neurodevelopmental trajectories of the human cerebral cortex. J. Neurosci., 2008, 28: 3586–3594. , , et al.
- A novel slow (<1 Hz) oscillation of neocortical neurons in vivo: depolarizing and hyperpolarizing components. J. Neurosci., 1993, 13: 3252–3265. , and
- Brain maturation in adolescence and young adulthood: regional age-related changes in cortical thickness and white matter volume and microstructure. Cereb. Cortex, 2009, 20: 534–548. , , , , and
- Developmental changes in the human sleep EEG during early adolescence. Sleep, 2010, 33: 801–809. and
- Brain maturation in adolescence: concurrent changes in neuroanatomy and neurophysiology. Hum. Brain Mapp., 2007, 28: 228–237. , , , , and