Sleep apnoea phenotypes
Phenotyping interindividual variability in obstructive sleep apnoea response to temazepam using ventilatory chemoreflexes during wakefulness
Version of Record online: 14 JUN 2011
© 2011 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 20, Issue 4, pages 526–532, December 2011
How to Cite
WANG, D., MARSHALL, N. S., DUFFIN, J., YEE, B. J., WONG, K. K., NOORI, N., NG, S. S. W. and GRUNSTEIN, R. R. (2011), Phenotyping interindividual variability in obstructive sleep apnoea response to temazepam using ventilatory chemoreflexes during wakefulness. Journal of Sleep Research, 20: 526–532. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2011.00931.x
- Issue online: 14 NOV 2011
- Version of Record online: 14 JUN 2011
- Accepted in revised form 7 May 2011; received 1 February 2011
- AASM Task Force. Sleep-related breathing disorders in adults: recommendations for syndrome definition and measurement technique in clinical research. Sleep, 1999, 22: 667–689.
- American Sleep Disorders Association. EEG arousals: scoring rules and examples: a preliminary report from the Sleep Disorders Atlas Task Force of the American Sleep Disorders Association. Sleep, 1992, 15: 173–184.
- Efficacy of mirtazapine in obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Sleep, 2007, 30: 35–41. , , and
- Obstructive sleep apnea syndrome: from phenotype to genetic basis. Curr. Genomics, 2009, 10: 119–126. , , , , and
- The ventilatory responsiveness to CO(2) below eupnoea as a determinant of ventilatory stability in sleep. J. Physiol., 2004, 560: 1–11. , , et al.
- Pathophysiology of sleep apnea. Physiol. Rev., 2010, 90: 47–112. , , and
- Measuring the ventilatory response to hypoxia. J. Physiol., 2007, 584: 285–293.
- A model of the chemoreflex control of breathing in humans: model parameters measurement. Respir. Physiol., 2000, 120: 13–26. , , , and
- The influence of obstructive sleep apnea and gender on genioglossus activity during rapid eye movement sleep. Chest, 2009, 135: 957–964. , , , and
- Effect of octreotide, a somatostatin analog, on sleep apnea in patients with acromegaly. Ann. Intern. Med., 1994, 121: 478–483. , and
- Pharmacological treatment of sleep apnea: current situation and future strategies. Sleep Med. Rev., 2008, 12: 33–47. , and
- Nitrazepam in patients with sleep apnoea: a double-blind placebo-controlled study. Eur. Respir. J., 1994, 7: 2011–2015. , , , , and
- Instability of ventilatory control in patients with obstructive sleep apnea. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 1998, 158: 1142–1149. , , and
- Anatomy of pharynx in patients with obstructive sleep apnea and in normal subjects. J. Appl. Physiol., 1997, 82: 1319–1326. , , , , and
- Determinants of ventilatory instability and variability. Respir. Physiol., 2000, 122: 167–182.
- The interactions between hypoxia and other ventilatory stimuli. In: J. D. Hatcher and D. B. Jennings (Eds) Proceedings of the International Symposium on Cardiovascular and Respiratory Effects of Hypoxia. Karger, Basel, 1966.
- Determinants of ventilatory instability in obstructive sleep apnea: inherent or acquired? Sleep, 2009, 32: 1355–1365. , , et al.
- Analysis of the interplay between neurochemical control of respiration and upper airway mechanics producing upper airway obstruction during sleep in humans. Exp. Physiol., 2008, 93: 271–287. , and
- Two randomized placebo-controlled trials to evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of mirtazapine for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep, 2008, 31: 824–831. , , et al.
- Treatment with leuprolide acetate decreases the threshold of the ventilatory response to carbon dioxide in healthy males. J. Physiol., 2004, 561: 637–646. , , , , and
- A clinical method for assessing the ventilatory response to carbon dioxide. Australas. Ann. Med., 1967, 16: 20–32.
- A Manual of Standardized Terminology, Techniques and Scoring Systems for Sleep Stages of Human Subjects. Public Health Services, US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, 1968. and
- The genetics of sleep apnea. Sleep Med. Rev., 2000, 4: 583–602. and
- The phenotype and genotype of adult obstructive sleep apnoea/hypopnoea syndrome. Eur. Respir. J., 2009, 33: 646–655. , and
- A pilot study evaluating acute use of eszopiclone in patients with mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Sleep Med., 2007, 8: 464–470. , , and
- Chronic CO2 drive in patients with obstructive sleep apnea and effect of CPAP. Respir. Physiol., 1995, 101: 279–287. , , , , and
- Association between ventilatory response to hypercapnia and obstructive sleep apnea–hypopnea index in asymptomatic subjects. Sleep Breath., 2007, 11: 103–108. , and
- Adherence to continuous positive airway pressure therapy: the challenge to effective treatment. Proc. Am. Thorac. Soc., 2008, 5: 173–178. and
- Ventilatory control and airway anatomy in obstructive sleep apnea. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2004, 170: 1225–1232. , , et al.
- Effect of oxygen in obstructive sleep apnea: role of loop gain. Respir. Physiol. Neurobiol., 2008, 162: 144–151. , , , , and
- Pathogenesis of obstructive and central sleep apnea. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2005, 172: 1363–1370.
- Sexual influence on the control of breathing. J. Appl. Physiol. Resp. Environ. Exerc. Physiol., 1983, 54: 874–879. , , , and
- Contributions of upper airway mechanics and control mechanisms to severity of obstructive apnea. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2003, 168: 645–658.
- Role of respiratory control mechanisms in the pathogenesis of obstructive sleep disorders. J. Appl. Physiol., 2008, 105: 1389–1405.
- Chemical control stability in patients with obstructive sleep apnea. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2001, 163: 1181–1190. , , , and