Snoring and atherosclerosis
Association of self-reported snoring with carotid artery intima-media thickness and plaque
Version of Record online: 14 JUL 2011
© 2011 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 21, Issue 1, pages 87–93, February 2012
How to Cite
LI, Y., LIU, J., WANG, W., YONG, Q., ZHOU, G., WANG, M., SUN, J. and ZHAO, D. (2012), Association of self-reported snoring with carotid artery intima-media thickness and plaque. Journal of Sleep Research, 21: 87–93. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2011.00936.x
- Issue online: 20 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 14 JUL 2011
- Accepted in revised form 6 June 2011; received 24 February 2011
- Snoring-related energy transmission to the carotid artery in rabbits. J. Appl. Physiol., 2006, 100: 1547–1553. , , , and
- The severity of oxygen desaturation is predictive of carotid wall thickening and plaque occurrence. Chest, 2005, 128: 3407–3412. , , et al.
- Early cardiovascular abnormalities in newly diagnosed obstructive sleep apnea. Vasc. Health Risk Manage., 2009, 5: 1063–1073. , , , , and
- Relation of intima-media thickness to atherosclerotic plaques in carotid arteries. The Vascular Aging (EVA) Study. Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol., 1996, 16: 310–316. , , et al.
- Snoring every night as a risk factor for myocardial infarction: a case control study. BMJ, 1990, 300: 1557–1558. , , et al.
- Early signs of atherosclerosis in obstructive sleep apnea. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2005, 172: 613–618. , , , , and
- Snoring, asthma and sleep disturbance in Britain: a community-based survey. Eur. Respir. J., 1993, 6: 531–535. , , , , and
- Prevalence of symptoms and risk of sleep apnea in the US population: results from the National Sleep Foundation Sleep in America 2005 poll. Chest, 2006, 130: 780–786. , , and
- Oscillatory pressure wave transmission from the upper airway to the carotid artery. J. Appl. Physiol., 2007, 103: 1622–1627. , , et al.
- Snoring and risk of cardiovascular disease in women. J. Am. Coll. Cardiol., 2000, 35: 308–313. , , et al.
- Carotid atherosclerosis is a stronger predictor of myocardial infarction in women than in men: a 6-year follow-up study of 6226 persons: the Tromsø Study. Stroke, 2007, 38: 2873–2880. , , et al.
- Underdiagnosis of sleep apnea syndrome in U.S. communities. Sleep Breath., 2002, 6: 49–54. , , , , and
- Snoring as a risk factor for ischaemic heart disease and stroke in men. BMJ (Clin. Res. edn), 1987, 294: 16–19. , , , , and
- Heavy snoring as a cause of carotid artery atherosclerosis. Sleep, 2008, 31: 1207–1213. , , et al.
- Pattern of simulated snoring is different through mouth and nose. J. Appl. Physiol., 1991, 70: 2736–2741. , and
- Predictive value for the Chinese population of the Framingham CHD risk assessment tool compared with the Chinese Multi-Provincial Cohort Study. JAMA, 2004, 291: 2591–2599. , , et al.
- Does snoring intensity correlate with the severity of obstructive sleep apnea? J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2010, 6: 475–478. and
- Relation between blood pressure variability and carotid artery damage in hypertension: baseline data from the European lacidipine study on atherosclerosis (ELSA). J. Hypertens., 2001, 19: 1981–1989. , , et al.
- Habitual snoring as a risk factor for brain infarction. Acta Neurol. Scand., 1995, 92: 63–68. , , , , and
- Snoring and breathing pauses during sleep: telephone interview survey of a United Kingdom population sample. BMJ, 1997, 314: 860–863. , , and
- Snoring and the risk of ischemic brain infarction. Stroke, 1991, 22: 1021–1025.
- Intimal plus medial thickness of the arterial wall: a direct measurement with ultrasound imaging. Circulation, 1986, 74: 1399–1406. , , , and
- Carotid intima media thickness and plaques can predict the occurrence of ischemic cerebrovascular events. Stroke, 2008, 39: 2470–2476. , , et al.
- Chronic intermittent hypoxia induces atherosclerosis. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2007, 175: 1290–1297. , , et al.
- Intima-media thickness: a new tool for diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular risk. J. Hypertens., 2002, 20: 159–169. , , , and
- The occurrence of sleep-disordered breathing among middle-aged adults. N. Engl. J. Med., 1993, 328: 1230–1235. , , , , and
- Estimation of the clinically diagnosed proportion of sleep apnea syndrome in middle-aged men and women. Sleep, 1997, 20: 705–706. , , and
- Ten-year cardiovascular disease risk of metabolic syndrome without central obesity in middle-aged Chinese. Am. J. Cardiol., 2007, 100: 835–839. , , et al.