Probabilistic sleep architecture models in patients with and without sleep apnea
Version of Record online: 28 SEP 2011
© 2011 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 21, Issue 3, pages 330–341, June 2012
How to Cite
BIANCHI, M. T., EISEMAN, N. A., CASH, S. S., MIETUS, J., PENG, C.-K. and THOMAS, R. J. (2012), Probabilistic sleep architecture models in patients with and without sleep apnea. Journal of Sleep Research, 21: 330–341. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2011.00937.x
- Issue online: 19 MAY 2012
- Version of Record online: 28 SEP 2011
- Accepted in revised form 1 June 2011; received 25 October 2010
- The role of actigraphy in the study of sleep and circadian rhythms. Sleep, 2003, 26: 342–392. , , , , and
- Obstructive sleep apnea alters sleep stage transition dynamics. PLoS ONE, 2010, 5: e11356. , , , and
- Dynamics of sleep-wake cyclicity in developing rats. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 2005, 102: 14860–14864. , , and
- The Epworth Sleepiness Scale may not reflect objective measures of sleepiness or sleep apnea. Neurology, 1999, 52: 125–131. and
- Sleep stage dynamics differ between children with and without obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep, 2009, 32: 1325–1332. , , , and
- Power law versus exponential state transition dynamics: application to sleep-wake architecture. PLoS ONE, 2010, 5: e14204. , and
- Delayed orexin signaling consolidates wakefulness and sleep: physiology and modeling. J. Neurophysiol., 2008, 99: 3090–3103. , , , and
- Neurobiology of the sleep-wake cycle: sleep architecture, circadian regulation, and regulatory feedback. J. Biol. Rhythms, 2006, 21: 482–493. , and
- The pontine REM switch: past and present. J. Physiol., 2007, 584: 735–741. , and
- Relation of sleepiness to respiratory disturbance index: the Sleep Heart Health Study. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 1999, 159: 502–507. , , et al.
- Kv3 potassium channels control the duration of different arousal states by distinct stochastic and clock-like mechanisms. Eur. J. Neurosci., 2006, 23: 1567–1574. , and
- Simulation of human hypnograms using a Markov chain model. Sleep, 1986, 9: 405–414. and
- Markov analysis of sleep dynamics. Phys. Rev. Lett., 2009, 102: 178104. , , and
- Older people awaken more frequently but fall back asleep at the same rate as younger people. Sleep, 2004, 27: 793–798. , , , and
- NREM sleep EEG frequency spectral correlates of sleep complaints in primary insomnia subtypes. Sleep, 2002, 25: 630–640. , , and
- Common scale-invariant patterns of sleep-wake transitions across mammalian species. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 2004, 101: 17. , , et al.
- Daytime sleepiness and neural cardiac modulation in sleep-related breathing disorders. J. Sleep Res., 2008, 17: 263–270. , , et al.
- A putative flip-flop switch for control of REM sleep. Nature, 2006, 441: 589–594. , , and
- Sleep continuity measured by survival curve analysis. Sleep, 2006, 29: 1625–1631. , , , and
- From wakefulness to excessive sleepiness: what we know and still need to know. Sleep Med. Rev., 2008, 12: 129–141.
- Modeling hypersomnolence in sleep-disordered breathing. A novel approach using survival analysis. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 1999, 159: 1703–1709. , , et al.
- The Sleep Heart Health Study: design, rationale, and methods. Sleep, 1997, 20: 1077–1085. , , et al.
- The visual scoring of sleep in adults. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2007, 3: 121–131. , , et al.
- Characterizing sleep structure using the hypnogram. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2008, 4: 349–355. , , and
- Arousals in sleep-disordered breathing: patterns and implications. Sleep, 2003, 26: 1042–1047.
- Sleep fragmentation and arousals from sleep-time scales, associations, and implications. Clin. Neurophysiol., 2006, 117: 707–711.
- Impaired sleep quality in fibromyalgia: detection and quantification with ECG-based cardiopulmonary coupling spectrograms. Sleep Med., 2010, 11: 497–498. , , , , and
- Sleep structure and sleepiness in chronic fatigue syndrome with or without coexisting fibromyalgia. Arthritis Res. Ther., 2008, 10: R56. , , , , and
- Does sleep fragmentation impact recuperation? A review and reanalysis J. Sleep Res., 1999, 8: 237–245. , and
- Reliability of scoring respiratory disturbance indices and sleep staging. Sleep, 1998, 21: 749–757. , , et al.
- The use of a semi-Markov model for describing sleep patterns. Biometrics, 1973, 29: 667–676. and
- Sleep state instabilities in major depressive disorder: detection and quantification with electrocardiogram-based cardiopulmonary coupling analysis. Psychophysiology, 2010, 48: 285–291. , , et al.
- Modelling and exploring human sleep with event history analysis. J. Sleep Res., 1999, 8: 25–36. , , and