These authors contributed equally to this work.
The effectiveness of community day-long CBT-I workshops for participants with insomnia symptoms: a randomised controlled trial
Version of Record online: 18 AUG 2011
© 2011 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 21, Issue 3, pages 270–280, June 2012
How to Cite
SWIFT, N., STEWART, R., ANDIAPPAN, M., SMITH, A., ESPIE, C. A. and BROWN, J. S. L. (2012), The effectiveness of community day-long CBT-I workshops for participants with insomnia symptoms: a randomised controlled trial. Journal of Sleep Research, 21: 270–280. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2011.00940.x
- Issue online: 19 MAY 2012
- Version of Record online: 18 AUG 2011
- Accepted in revised form 20 June 2011; received 18 November 2010
- Characteristics of insomnia in the United States: results of the 1991 National Sleep Foundation survey. Sleep, 1999, 22: 347–353. and
- Development and evaluation of a large-scale self-referral CBT-I intervention for men who have insomnia: an exploratory study. Behav. Cogn. Psychother., 2009, 37: 239–248. , , , , and
- Client satisfaction questionnaire (CSQ-8). In: K. Corcoran and J. Fischer (Eds) Measures for Clinical Practice: A Sourcebook. Vol. 2, 3rd edn. Free Press, New York, 1987.
- Validation of the Insomnia Severity Index as an outcome measure for insomnia research. Sleep Med., 2001, 2: 297–307. , and
- Cognitive behavioural therapy for insomnia: comparison of individual therapy, group therapy, and telephone consultations. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol., 2004, 72: 653–659. , , , and
- An inventory for measuring depression. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 1961, 4: 561–571. , , , and
- Large-scale health promotion stress workshops for the general public: a controlled evaluation. Behav. Cogn. Psychother., 2000, 28: 139–151. , and
- Meeting the unmet need for depression services with psycho-educational self-confidence workshops: preliminary report. Br. J. Psychiatry, 2004, 185: 511–515. , , , and
- The economic burden of insomnia: direct and indirect costs for individuals with insomnia syndrome, insomnia symptoms, and good sleepers. Sleep, 2009, 32: 55–64. , , , and
- A primary care ‘friendly’ cognitive behaviour insomnia therapy. Sleep, 2003, 26: 177–182. and
- ‘Stepped care’: a health technology solution for delivering cognitive behavioral therapy as a first line insomnia treatment. Sleep, 2009, 3: 1549–1558.
- Randomized clinical effectiveness trial of nurse-administered small-group cognitive behavior therapy for persistent insomnia in general practice. Sleep, 2007, 30: 574–584. , , et al.
- Computer, internet and email use among older adults: benefits and barriers. Educ. Gerontol., 2008, 34: 800–811. and
- Comparative meta-analysis of behavioral interventions for insomnia and their efficacy in middle-aged adults and in older adults 55+ years of age. Health Psychol., 2006, 25: 3–14. , and
- Cognitive behavior therapy and pharmacotherapy for insomnia. a randomized controlled trial and direct comparison. Arch. Intern. Med., 2004, 164: 1888–1896. , , and
- Evaluation and Treatment of Insomnia. Oxford University Press, New York, 1984. and
- Despite effectiveness, behavioural therapy for chronic insomnia still under used. JAMA, 2008, 300: 2474–2475.
- Psychiatric aspects of late-life insomnia. Sleep Med. Rev., 2004, 8: 31–45. , , and
- Insomnia: A Clinical Guide to Assessment and Treatment. Klewer Academic/Plenum, New York, 2003. and
- Nonpharmacological interventions for insomnia: a meta-analysis of treatment efficacy. Am. J. Psychiatry, 1994, 151: 1172–1180. , and
- Nonpharmacologic treatment of chronic insomnia. Sleep, 1999, 22: 1134–1156. , , , , and
- Psychological and behavioural treatment of insomnia: update of the recent evidence (1998–2004). Sleep, 2006a, 29: 1398–1414. , , , , and
- Epidemiology of insomnia: prevalence, self-help treatments, consultations, and determinants of help-seeking behaviors. Sleep Med., 2006b, 7: 123–130. , , , and
- Identifying effective psychological treatments for insomnia: a meta-analysis. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol., 1995, 63: 79–89. , and
- National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE). TA77: Guidance on the Use of Zaleplon, Zolpidem and Zopiclone for the Short-Term Management of Insomnia. NICE, London, 2004.
- National Institute of Health (NIH). Manifestations and management of chronic insomnia in adults. State Sci Statements, 2005, 22: 1–36.
- Epidemiology of insomnia: what we know and what we still need to learn. Sleep Med. Rev., 2002, 6: 97–111.
- Place of chronic insomnia in the course of depressive and anxiety disorders. J. Psychiatr. Res., 2003, 37: 9–15. and
- DSM-IV and ICSD-90 insomnia symptoms and sleep dissatisfaction. Br. J. Psychiatry, 1997, 171: 382–388. , , and
- Efficacy of an internet-based behavioral intervention for adults with insomnia. Arch Gen Psychiatry, 2009, 66: 692–698. , , , et al.
- Daytime consequences and correlates of insomnia in the United States: results of the 1991 National Sleep Foundation survey. II. Sleep, 1999, 22: 354–358. and
- Insomnia. Lancet, 2004, 364: 1959–1973. and
- Psychiatric morbidity among adults living in private households, 2000. Office of National Statistics Reports, London, 2001: 1–154. , , , and
- Insomnia comorbidity and impact and hypnotic use by age group in a national survey population aged 16 to 64 years. Sleep, 2006, 29: 1391–1397. , , et al.
- Barriers to treatment seeking in primary insomnia in the United Kingdom: a cross-sectional perspective. Sleep, 2006, 29: 1643–1646. , and
- A pilot study of cognitive-behavioral therapy of insomnia in people with mild depression. Behav. Ther., 2007, 38: 49–57. , , , and
- Treatment preference and patient satisfaction in chronic insomnia. Sleep, 2001, 11: 488–496. and