Ageing and muscle tone during REM sleep
A quantitative analysis of the submentalis muscle electromyographic amplitude during rapid eye movement sleep across the lifespan
Article first published online: 28 SEP 2011
© 2011 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 21, Issue 3, pages 257–263, June 2012
How to Cite
FERRI, R., BRUNI, O., FULDA, S., ZUCCONI, M. and PLAZZI, G. (2012), A quantitative analysis of the submentalis muscle electromyographic amplitude during rapid eye movement sleep across the lifespan. Journal of Sleep Research, 21: 257–263. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2011.00958.x
- Issue published online: 19 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 28 SEP 2011
- Accepted in revised form 18 August 2011; received 28 July 2011
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine. International Classification of Sleep Disorders, 2nd edn: Diagnostic and Coding Manual. American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Westchester, IL, 2005.
- REM sleep behavior disorder: updated review of the core features, the REM sleep behavior disorder-neurodegenerative disease association, evolving concepts, controversies, and future directions. Ann. N Y Acad. Sci., 2010, 1184: 15–54.
- EEG arousal norms by age. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2007, 3: 271–274. and
- Effect of age on EEG arousals in normal sleep. Sleep, 1998, 21: 351–357. , , and
- Unraveling the mechanisms of REM sleep atonia. Sleep, 2008, 31: 1492–1497. and
- EMG variance during polysomnography as an assessment for REM sleep behavior disorder. Sleep, 2007, 30: 1771–1778. , , , , and
- Endogenous excitatory drive modulating respiratory muscle activity across sleep-wake states. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2006, 174: 1264–1273. , , and
- Evidence that glycine mediates the postsynaptic potentials that inhibit lumbar motoneurons during the atonia of active sleep. J. Neurosci., 1989, 9: 743–751. , and
- REM sleep-like atonia of hypoglossal (XII) motoneurons is caused by loss of noradrenergic and serotonergic inputs. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2005, 172: 1322–1330. , and
- Searching for a marker of REM sleep behavior disorder: submentalis muscle EMG amplitude analysis during sleep in patients with narcolepsy/cataplexy. Sleep, 2008a, 31: 1409–1417. , , et al.
- A quantitative statistical analysis of the submentalis muscle EMG amplitude during sleep in normal controls and patients with REM sleep behavior disorder. J. Sleep Res., 2008b, 17: 89–100. , , et al.
- Improved computation of the atonia index in normal controls and patients with REM sleep behavior disorder. Sleep Med., 2010, 11: 947–949. , , et al.
- Development of REM sleep atonia. Acta Neurol. Scand., 1999, 99: 368–373. , and
- REM sleep behavior disorder. In: M. Kryger, T. Roth and W. Dement (Eds) Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine. WB Saunders, Philadelphia, PA, 2000: 724–741. and
- Searching for marker of REM sleep behavior disorder: submentalis muscle EMG amplitude analysis during sleep in patients with narcolepsy/cataplexy. Sleep, 2009, 32: 137. and
- Quantification of tonic and phasic muscle activity in REM sleep behavior disorder. J. Clin. Neurophysiol., 2008, 25: 48–55. , , et al.
- Role of inhibitory amino acids in control of hypoglossal motor outflow to genioglossus muscle in naturally sleeping rats. J. Physiol., 2003, 552: 975–991. , , et al.
- REM behavior disorder (RBD) can be one of the first symptoms of childhood narcolepsy. Sleep Med., 2007, 8: 784–786. , , , and
- Development of states in infants. In: C. D. Clement, D. P. Purpura and F. E. Mayer (Eds) Sleep and the Maturing Nervous System. Academic Press, New York, 1972: 199–228. and
- Cyclic alternating pattern (CAP) in normal sleep: polysomnographic parameters in different age groups. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1998, 107: 439–450. , , , and
- Relationship of slow and rapid EEG components of CAP to ASDA arousals in normal sleep. Sleep, 2001, 24: 881–885. , , and
- A Manual of Standardized Terminology, Techniques, and Scoring System for Sleep Stages of Human Subjects. Washington Public Health Service, US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, 1968. and
- Rapid eye movement sleep, motoneurone inhibition, and apneic spells in preterm infants. Pediatr. Res., 1977, 11: 709–713. , and
- REM-sleep motor disorder in children. J. Child Neurol., 1998, 13: 257–260. and
- Rapid eye movement sleep behaviour disorder in children and adolescents. Dev. Med. Child Neurol., 2008, 50: 728–732.
- Narcolepsy in children: a single-center clinical experience. Pediatr. Neurol., 2008, 38: 314–320. , , , and
- State-dependent control of lumbar motoneurons by the hypocretinergic system. Exp. Neurol., 2010, 221: 335–345. , , and