Detection of sleep-wakefulness
A hybrid approach for continuous detection of sleep-wakefulness fluctuations: validation in patients with Cheyne–Stokes respiration
Article first published online: 1 OCT 2011
© 2011 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 21, Issue 3, pages 342–351, June 2012
How to Cite
PINNA, G. D., ROBBI, E., LA ROVERE, M. T. and MAESTRI, R. (2012), A hybrid approach for continuous detection of sleep-wakefulness fluctuations: validation in patients with Cheyne–Stokes respiration. Journal of Sleep Research, 21: 342–351. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2011.00960.x
- Issue published online: 19 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 1 OCT 2011
- Accepted in revised form 18 August 2011; received 28 April 2011
- Multivariate Interpretation of Clinical Laboratory Data. Marcel Dekker, New York, 1987. and
- Upper airway occlusion during sleep in patients with Cheyne-Stokes respiration. Am. Rev. Respir. Dis., 1986, 133: 42–45. , and
- American Sleep Disorders Association. EEG arousals: scoring rules and examples: a preliminary report from the Sleep Disorders Atlas Task Force of the American Sleep Disorders Association. Sleep, 1992, 15: 173–184.
- Random Data: Analysis and Measurement Procedures, 2nd edn. John Wiley, New York, 1986. and
- Cheyne-Stokes respiration and obstructive sleep apnoea are independent risk factors for malignant ventricular arrhythmias requiring appropriate cardioverter-defibrillator therapies in patients with congestive heart failure. Eur. Heart J., 2011, 32: 61–74. , , et al.
- Respiration and wakefulness in man. Acta Physiol. Scand., 1963, 59: 1–110.
- Second by second patterns in cortical electroencephalograph and systolic blood pressure during Cheyne-Stokes. Eur. Respir. J., 1999, 14: 940–945. , , , and
- The boundary between wakefulness and sleep: quantitative electroencephalographic changes during the sleep onset period. Neuroscience, 2001a, 107: 1–11. , and
- Antero-posterior EEG changes during the wakefulness-sleep transition. Clin. Neurophysiol., 2001b, 112: 1901–1911. , , and
- Interaction of chemical and state effects on ventilation during sleep onset. J. Appl. Physiol., 1996, 81: 2235–2243. , and
- Respiration and abnormal sleep in patients with congestive heart failure. Chest, 1989, 96: 480–488. , , , , and
- Spatiotemporal changes of EEG activity during waking-sleeping transition period. Int. J. Neurosci., 1985, 27: 101–114.
- for the American Academy of Sleep Medicine The AASM Manual for the Scoring of Sleep and Associated Events: Rules, Terminology and Technical Specifications, 1st edn. American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Westchester, Illinois, 2007. , , and
- Central sleep apnea, right ventricular dysfunction, and low diastolic blood pressure are predictors of mortality in systolic heart failure. J. Am. Coll. Cardiol., 2007, 49: 2028–2034. , , and
- Changes in airway resistance during sleep onset. J. Appl. Physiol., 1994, 76: 1600–1607. , , and
- Sleep-induced periodic breathing and apnea: a theoretical study. J. Appl. Physiol., 1991, 70: 2014–2024. , and
- Clinical relevance of short-term day-time breathing disorders in chronic heart failure patients. Eur. J. Heart Fail., 2007, 9: 949–954. , , et al.
- Fluctuations of the fractal dimension of the electroencephalogram during periodic breathing in heart failure patients. J. Comput. Neurosci., 2010, 28: 557–565. , , and
- The process of falling asleep. Sleep Med. Rev., 2001, 5: 247–270.
- Sleep-disordered breathing in patients with symptomatic heart failure: a contemporary study of prevalence in and characteristics of 700 patients. Eur. J. Heart Fail., 2007, 9: 251–257. , , , , and
- Mechanisms of ventilatory periodicities. Ann. Biomed. Eng., 1993, 21: 537–544. and
- Computer based sleep recording and analysis. Sleep Med. Rev., 2000, 4: 131–148. and
- Control of breathing during asleep. In: N. S. Cherniack and J. G. Widdicombe (Eds) Handbook of Physiology, Section 3, The Respiratory System, Part II. American Physiological Society, Bethesda, MD, 1986: 649–689. and
- Periodic breathing in heart failure patients: testing the hypothesis of instability of the chemoreflex loop. J. Appl. Physiol., 2000, 89: 2147–2157. , , , , and
- Pathophysiological and clinical relevance of simplified monitoring of nocturnal breathing disorders in heart failure patients. Eur. J. Heart Fail., 2009, 11: 264–272. , , et al.
- Periodicity of obstructive sleep apnea in patients with and without heart failure. Chest, 2005, 127: 536–542. and
- The EEG of drowsiness in normal adults. J. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1987, 4: 327–382. and
- Overnight shift from obstructive to central apneas in patients with heart failure: role of PCO2 and circulatory delay. Circulation, 2001, 103: 238–243. , , and
- Respiratory instability during sleep onset. J. Appl. Physiol., 1992, 73: 2462–2469. , , and
- Activity of respiratory pump and upper airway muscles during sleep onset. J. Appl. Physiol., 1998, 85: 908–920. , , , and
- Interaction of hyperventilation and arousal in the pathogenesis of idiopathic central sleep apnea. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 1994, 150: 489–495. , , , and
- Central sleep apnea and Cheyne-Stokes respiration. Proc. Am. Thorac. Soc., 2008, 5: 226–236. and