Evaluation of a new simple treatment for positional sleep apnoea patients
Version of Record online: 22 OCT 2011
© 2011 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 21, Issue 3, pages 322–329, June 2012
How to Cite
VAN MAANEN, J. P., RICHARD, W., VAN KESTEREN, E. R., RAVESLOOT, M. J. L., LAMAN, D. M., HILGEVOORD, A. A. J. and DE VRIES, N. (2012), Evaluation of a new simple treatment for positional sleep apnoea patients. Journal of Sleep Research, 21: 322–329. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2011.00974.x
- Issue online: 19 MAY 2012
- Version of Record online: 22 OCT 2011
- Accepted in revised form 28 August 2011; received 18 May 2011
- Posture of patients with sleep apnea during sleep. Acta Otolaryngol. Suppl., 2003, 550: 41–45. , , , , and
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine Task Force. Sleep-related breathing disorders in adults: recommendations for syndrome definition and measurement techniques in clinical research. Sleep, 1999, 22: 667–689.
- Poor long-term patient compliance with the tennis ball technique for treating positional obstructive sleep apnea. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2009, 5: 428–430. , , et al.
- Effect of sleep position on sleep apnea severity. Sleep, 1984, 7: 110–114.
- The effect of sleep posture and sleep stage on apnea frequency. Sleep, 1991, 14: 351–353. , and
- Investigating the relationship between stroke and obstructive sleep apnea. Stroke, 1996, 27: 401–407. , , , and
- Clinical practice. Obstructive sleep apnea. N. Engl. J. Med., 2002, 347: 498–504.
- Sleep apnea and automobile crashes. Sleep, 1999, 22: 790–795. and
- Sleep apnea and body position during sleep. Sleep, 1988, 11: 90–99. , and
- The influence of sleep position and obesity on sleep apnea. Psychiatry Clin. Neurosci., 2000, 54: 340–341. , , and
- Comparison of therapeutic and subtherapeutic nasal continuous positive airway pressure for obstructive sleep apnoea: a randomised prospective parallel trial. Lancet, 1999, 353: 2100–2105. , , and
- Impact of sleeping position on central sleep apnea/Cheyne–Stokes respiration in patients with heart failure. Sleep Med., 2010, 11: 143–148. , , and
- Long-term cardiovascular outcomes in men with obstructive sleep apnoea–hypopnoea with or without treatment with continuous positive airway pressure: an observational study. Lancet, 2005, 365: 1046–1053. , , and
- OSA therapy with a new supine position preventing vest. Dtsch. Med. Wochenschr., 2003, 128: 71–75. , , , and
- Positional vs nonpositional obstructive sleep apnea patients. Chest, 1997, 112: 629–639. , , and
- Association of body position with severity of apneic events in patients with severe nonpositional obstructive sleep apnea. Chest, 2000, 118: 1018–1024. , , and
- Positional therapy for obstructive sleep apnea patients: a 6-month follow-up study. Laryngoscope, 2006, 116: 1995–2000. , , and
- Prospective study of the association between sleep-disordered breathing and hypertension. N. Engl. J. Med., 2000, 342: 1378–1384. , , and
- Comparison of positional therapy to CPAP in patients with positional obstructive sleep apnea. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2010, 6: 238–243. , , et al.
- Mandibular advancement devices: rate of contraindications in 100 consecutive obstructive sleep apnea patients. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2002, 166: 274–278. , , , , and
- Sleep apnea—a major public health problem. N. Engl. J. Med., 1993, 328: 1271–1273.
- Reliable calculation of the efficacy of non-surgical and surgical treatment of obstructive sleep apnea revisited. Sleep, 2011, 34: 105–110. and
- The role of sleeping position in obstructive sleep apnea. Eur. Arch. Otorhinolaryngol., 2006, 263: 946–950. , , , , and
- Acceptance and long-term compliance of nCPAP in obstructive sleep apnea. Eur. Arch. Otorhinolaryngol., 2007, 264: 1081–1086. , , et al.
- Oral appliances for the treatment of snoring and obstructive sleep apnea: a review. Sleep, 1995, 18: 501–510. , , , , and
- Sleep-disordered breathing and cardiovascular disease: cross-sectional results of the Sleep Heart Health study. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2001, 163: 19–25. , , et al.
- Obstructive sleep apnea, implications for cardiac and vascular disease. JAMA, 2003, 290: 1906–1914. , and
- The efficacy of surgical modifications of the upper airway in adults with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Sleep, 1996, 19: 156–177. , and
- Lateral sleeping position reduces severity of central sleep apnea/Cheyne–Stokes respiration. Sleep, 2006, 29: 1045–1051. , , and
- Quantitative effects of trunk and head position on the apnea hypopnea index in obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep, 2011, 34: 1075–1081. , , , and
- Efficacy and longterm compliance of the vest preventing the supine position in patients with obstructive sleep apnea. Laryngorhinootologie, 2007, 86: 579–583. , , and
- The occurrence of sleep-disordered breathing among middle-aged adults. N. Engl. J. Med., 1993, 328: 1230–1235. , , , and
- Estimation of the clinically diagnosed proportion of sleep apnea syndrome in middle-aged men and women. Sleep, 1997, 20: 705–706. , , and