Sleep in Behçet’s disease
Sleep disorders in Behçet’s disease, and their relationship with fatigue and quality of life
Article first published online: 17 OCT 2011
© 2011 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 21, Issue 3, pages 281–288, June 2012
How to Cite
TASCILAR, N. F., TEKIN, N. S., ANKARALI, H., SEZER, T., ATIK, L., EMRE, U., DUYSAK, S. and CINAR, F. (2012), Sleep disorders in Behçet’s disease, and their relationship with fatigue and quality of life. Journal of Sleep Research, 21: 281–288. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2011.00976.x
- Issue published online: 19 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 17 OCT 2011
- Accepted in revised form 11 September 2011; received 13 July 2011
- AASM (American Academy of Sleep Medicine). ICSD-2-International Classification of Sleep Disorders, 2nd edn. Diagnostic and Coding Manual, American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Westchester, Illinois, 2005.
- Sleep and rheumatologic disorders. Sleep Med. Rev., 2008, 12: 211–228. , and
- The validity and reliability of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index. Turk. Psikiyatri. Derg., 1996, 7: 107–111. (Turkish with an English abstract). , and
- Reliability and validity of the Turkish version of the Hamilton depression rating scale. Compr. Psychiatry, 2001, 42: 161–165. , , , , and
- Restless legs syndrome: diagnostic criteria, special considerations, and epidemiology. A report from the restless legs syndrome diagnosis and epidemiology workshop at the National Institutes of Health. Sleep Med., 2003, 4: 101–119. , , et al.
- Über rezidivierende, aphthose, durch ein Virus verursachte Geschwüre am Mund, Am Auge und an Genitalien. Dermatol. Wochenschr., 1937, 105: 1152–1157.
- Quality of life and life satisfaction in patients with Behçet’s disease: relationship with disease activity. Clin. Rheumatol., 2006, 25: 329–333. , , , and
- Surgical treatment of sleep apnea. Arch. Otolaryngol., 1983, 109: 506–512. and
- Serum ferritin in recurrent oral ulceration. J. Oral Pathol., 1983, 12: 290–299. , , and
- Periodic movements in sleep (nocturnal myoclonus) and Restless Legs Syndrome. In: C. Guileminault (Ed.) Sleeping and Walking Disorders. Addison-Wesley, Menlo Park, CA, 1982: 265–295.
- Lipoprotein (a) and nitrites in Behcet’s disease: relationship with disease activity and vascular complications. Eur. J. Dermatol., 2006, 16: 67–71. , , , , and
- Serum leptin concentration is increased in patients with Behçet’s syndrome and is correlated with disease activity. Br. J. Dermatol., 2002, 147: 331–336. , , et al.
- Clinical staging for sleep-disordered breathing. Otolaryngol. Head Neck Surg., 2002, 127: 13–20. , and
- Fatigue in neuroimmunological diseases. J. Neurol., 2007, 254: II/102–II/106. , , and
- Clinical features and evaluation of obstructive sleep apnea-hypopnea syndrome and upper airway resistance syndrome. In: M. H. Kryger, T. Roth and W. C. Dement (Eds) Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine. W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia, 2005: 1043–1052. and
- Evaluation of the Turkish translation of a disease activity form for Behçet’s syndrome. Rheumatology (Oxford), 1999, 38: 734–736. , , et al.
- Oxidative stress: correlation with Behçet’s disease duration, activity and severity. Eur. J. Intern. Med., 2008, 19: 541–547. , , and
- for the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. The AASM Manual for the Scoring of Sleep and Associated Events: Rules, Terminology and Technical Specifications, 1st edn. American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Westchester, Illinois, 2007. , , and ,
- ISGBD (International Study Group for Behçet’s Disease).Evaluation of diagnostic (“classification”) criteria in Behçet’s disease: towards internationally agreed criteria. Br. J. Rheumatol., 1992, 31: 299–308.
- A new method for measuring daytime sleepiness: the Epworth sleepiness scale. Sleep, 1991, 14: 540–545.
- Fatigue and sleep disturbance in multiple sclerosis. Eur. J. Neurol., 2006, 13: 1333–1339. , , et al.
- Increased insulin resistance and serum resistin in Korean patients with Behçet’s disease. Arch. Med. Res., 2010, 41: 269–274. , , , , and
- The fatigue severity scale. Application to patients with multiple sclerosis and systemic lupus erythematosus. Arch. Neurol., 1989, 46: 1121–1123. , , and
- Disorders of wakefulness and sleep in blind patients. Rev. Neurol. (Paris), 2001, 157: S135–S139. , , , and
- Restless legs syndrome and periodic limb movements during sleep. In: M. H. Kryger, T. Roth and W. C. Dement (Eds) Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine. W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia, 2005: 839–852. , , and
- Behçet’s syndrome patients have high levels of functional disability, fatigue and pain as measured by a Multi-Dimensional Health Assessment Questionnaire (MDHAQ). Clin. Exp. Rheumatol., 2008, 26: S110–S113. , and
- Cross validation of the Turkish version of dermatology life quality index. Int. J. Dermatol., 2006, 45: 1300–1307. , , and
- Sleep apnea and palatal myoclonus in a patient with neuro-Behçet syndrome. Intern. Med., 1993, 32: 336–339. , , , and
- Unexpectedly low prevalence and unusual characteristics of RLS in Mersin, Turkey. Neurology, 2003, 61: 1562–1569. , , et al.
- Health-related quality of life in Behçet patients with ocular involvement. Jpn. J. Ophthalmol., 2003, 47: 85–92. , , , , and
- Does obesity play a major role in the pathogenesis of sleep apnoea and its associated manifestations via inflammation, visceral adiposity, and insulin resistance? Arch. Physiol. Biochem., 2008, 114: 211–223.
- Hamilton anxiety rating scale: interrater reliability and validity study. Turk. Psikiyatri. Derg., 1998, 9: 114–117. , , , and
- Elevated serum interleukin 1 receptors, interleukin 1B in patients with Behçet’s disease: correlation with disease activity and severity. Isr. J. Med. Sci., 1995, 32: 245–248. , , , and
- Obstructive sleep apnea syndrome is a systemic disease. Current evidence. Eur. J. Intern. Med., 2008, 19: 390–398. , and