Effect of upper airway surgery on heart rate variability in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome
Article first published online: 17 OCT 2011
© 2011 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 21, Issue 3, pages 316–321, June 2012
How to Cite
CHOI, J. H., YI, J. S., LEE, S. H., KIM, C. S., KIM, T. H., LEE, H. M., LEE, B.-J., LEE, S. H. and CHUNG, Y.-S. (2012), Effect of upper airway surgery on heart rate variability in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome. Journal of Sleep Research, 21: 316–321. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2011.00978.x
- Issue published online: 19 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 17 OCT 2011
- Accepted in revised form 10 September 2011; received 20 February 2011
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine. The International Classification of Sleep Disorders: Diagnostic and Coding Manual, 2nd edn. American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Westchester, IL, 2005.
- Atlas Task Force of the American Sleep Disorders Association. EEG arousals: scoring rules and examples: a preliminary report from the Sleep Disorders Atlas Task Force of the American Sleep Disorders Association. Sleep, 1992, 15: 173–184.
- Interpretation of normalized spectral heart rate variability indices in sleep research: a critical review. Sleep, 2007, 30: 913–919.
- Autonomic cardiac modulation in obstructive sleep apnea: effect of an oral jaw-positioning appliance. Chest, 2006, 130: 1362–1368. , , et al.
- Clinical guideline for the evaluation, management and long-term care of obstructive sleep apnea in adults. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2009, 5: 263–276. , and et al.
- Obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. A review. Psychiatr. Clin. North Am., 1987, 10: 607–621.
- Does uvulopalatopharyngoplasty inhibit automobile accidents? Laryngoscope, 1995, 105: 657–661. , , and
- Is high and fluctuating muscle nerve sympathetic activity in the sleep apnoea syndrome of pathogenetic importance for the development of hypertension? J. Hypertens. Suppl., 1988, 6: S529–S531. , , , and
- Reduction in sympathetic activity after long-term CPAP treatment in sleep apnoea: cardiovascular implications. Eur. Respir. J., 1995, 8: 222–229. , , , and
- The effects of 1-year treatment with a herbst mandibular advancement splint on obstructive sleep apnea, oxidative stress, and endothelial function. Chest, 2007, 131: 740–749. , , et al.
- Treatment effect of uvulopalatopharyngoplasty on autonomic nervous activity during sleep in patients with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Chin. Med. J. (Engl)., 2004, 117: 761–763. , , , and
- Sleep apnoea in a hypertensive population. Lancet, 1984, 2: 1005–1008. , , et al.
- Spectral indices of cardiac autonomic function in obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep, 1999, 22: 443–451. , and
- Cardiac autonomic control in obstructive sleep apnea: effects of long-term CPAP therapy. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2001, 164: 807–812. , , and
- Objective measurement of patterns of nasal CPAP use by patients with obstructive sleep apnea. Am. Rev. Respir. Dis., 1993, 147: 887–895. , , et al.
- Practice parameters for the use of continuous and bilevel positive airway pressure devices to treat adult patients with sleep-related breathing disorders. Sleep, 2006a, 29: 375–380. , , et al.
- Practice parameters for the treatment of snoring and Obstructive Sleep Apnea with oral appliances: an update for 2005. Sleep, 2006b, 29: 240–243. , , et al.
- Adult obstructive sleep apnea: pathophysiology and diagnosis. Chest, 2007, 132: 325–337. , , and
- Increased incidence of cardiovascular disease in middle-aged men with obstructive sleep apnea: a 7-year follow-up. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2002, 166: 159–165. , , , and
- Effective compliance during the first 3 months of continuous positive airway pressure. A European prospective study of 121 patients. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 1999, 160: 1124–1129. , , et al.
- Contemporary surgery for obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Clin. Exp. Otorhinolaryngol., 2009, 2: 107–114.
- Heart rate variability: a review. Med. Biol. Eng. Comput., 2006, 44: 1031–1051. , , , and
- Non-CPAP therapies in obstructive sleep apnoea. Eur. Respir. J., 2011, 37: 1000–1028. , , et al.
- University of California Los Angeles. Brain Information Service and NINDB Neurological Information Network (US). A Manual of Standardized Terminology, Techniques and Scoring System for Sleep Stages of Human Subjects. US National Institute of Neurological Diseases and Blindness, Neurological Information Network, Bethesda, MD, 1968. and ;
- Surgery and obstructive sleep apnea: long-term clinical outcomes. Otolaryngol. Head Neck Surg., 2000, 122: 415–421. , , , and
- Reduced cardiac sympathetic autonomic tone after long-term nasal continuous positive airway pressure in obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome. Clin. Physiol., 1999, 19: 127–134. , , et al.
- The efficacy of surgical modifications of the upper airway in adults with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Sleep, 1996, 19: 156–177. , and
- Sympathetic neural mechanisms in obstructive sleep apnea. J. Clin. Invest., 1995, 96: 1897–1904. , , and
- Obstructive sleep apnea. N. Engl. J. Med., 1996, 334: 99–104. and .
- Task Force of the European Society of Cardiology and the North American Society of Pacing and Electrophysiology. Heart rate variability: standards of measurement, physiological interpretation and clinical use. Circulation, 1996, 93: 1043–1065.
- Survival of veterans with sleep apnea: continuous positive airway pressure versus surgery. Otolaryngol. Head Neck Surg., 2004, 130: 659–665. , and
- Obstructive sleep apnea as a risk factor for stroke and death. N. Engl. J. Med., 2005, 353: 2034–2041. , , , , and