Sleep disturbances and health
Sleep disturbance is associated with cardiovascular and metabolic disorders
Version of Record online: 12 DEC 2011
© 2011 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 21, Issue 4, pages 427–433, August 2012
How to Cite
GRANDNER, M. A., JACKSON, N. J., PAK, V. M. and GEHRMAN, P. R. (2012), Sleep disturbance is associated with cardiovascular and metabolic disorders. Journal of Sleep Research, 21: 427–433. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2011.00990.x
- Issue online: 10 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 12 DEC 2011
- Accepted in revised form 11 November 2011; received 6 September 2011
- Diabetes and sleep: a complex cause-and-effect relationship. Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract., 2010, 91: 129–137. and
- Short and long sleep are positively associated with obesity, diabetes, hypertension, and cardiovascular disease among adults in the United States. Soc. Sci. Med., 2010, 71: 1027–1036. and
- Sleep restriction for 1 week reduces insulin sensitivity in healthy men. Diabetes, 2010, 59: 2126–2133. , , , , and
- Centers for Disease Control. Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA, 2007a.
- Centers for Disease Control. BRFSS 2006 Summary Data Quality Report. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA, 2007b.
- The effect of short sleep duration on coronary heart disease risk is greatest among those with sleep disturbance: a prospective study from the Whitehall II cohort. Sleep, 2010, 33: 739–744. , , , and
- Use of patient-reported sleep measures in clinical trials of pain treatment: a literature review and synthesis of current sleep measures and a conceptual model of sleep disturbance in pain. Clin. Ther., 2007, 29(Suppl.): 2580–2588. , and
- Institute of Medicine Committee on Sleep Medicine and Research. Sleep Disorders and Sleep Deprivation: An Unmet Public Health Problem. Institute of Medicine, National Academies Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2006. , and
- Epidemiological evidence for the links between sleep, circadian rhythms and metabolism. Obes. Rev., 2009, 10(Suppl. 2): 37–45.
- Prospective study of obstructive sleep apnea and incident coronary heart disease and heart failure: the Sleep Heart Health Study. Circulation, 2010, 122: 352–360. , , et al.
- Criterion validity of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index: investigation in a non-clinical sample. Sleep Biol. Rhythms, 2006, 4: 129–136. , , and
- Problems associated with short sleep: bridging the gap between laboratory and epidemiological studies. Sleep Med. Rev., 2010a, 14: 239–247. , , , and
- Who gets the best sleep? Ethnic and socioeconomic factors related to sleep disturbance. Sleep Med., 2010b, 11: 470–479. , , et al.
- Mortality associated with sleep duration: the evidence, the possible mechanisms, and the future. Sleep Med. Rev., 2010c, 14: 191–203. , , and
- Obesity, diabetes, and exercise associated with sleep-related complaints in the American population. J. Public Health, 2011, 19: 463–474. , , et al.
- Age and sleep disturbances among American men and women: it’s more complicated than we thought. Sleep, in press. , , et al.
- The course of insomnia over one year: a longitudinal study in the general population in Sweden. Sleep, 2008, 31: 881–886. and
- Short sleep duration and incident coronary artery calcification. JAMA, 2008, 300: 2859–2866. , , , , and
- Short sleep mediates the association between long work hours and increased body mass index. J. Behav. Med., 2010, 34: 83–91. , and
- Short sleep duration as a possible cause of obesity: critical analysis of the epidemiological evidence. Obes. Rev., 2010, 12: 78–92. , and
- Obstructive sleep apnea: role in the risk and severity of diabetes. Best Pract. Res. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab., 2010, 24: 703–715. , and
- Association between sleep architecture and measures of body composition. Sleep, 2009, 32: 483–490. , , , , and
- Obstructive sleep apnea–hypopnea and incident stroke: the Sleep Heart Health Study. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2010, 182: 269–277. , , et al.
- Sleep duration and cardiovascular disease: results from the National Health Interview Survey. Sleep, 2010, 33: 1037–1042. and
- Disturbed glucoregulatory response to food intake after moderate sleep restriction. Sleep, 2011, 34: 371–377. , , et al.
- Sleep-disordered breathing and cardiovascular disease: cross-sectional results of the Sleep Heart Health Study. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2001, 163: 19–25. , , et al.
- Slow-wave sleep and the risk of type 2 diabetes in humans. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 2008, 105: 1044–1049. , , and
- Sleep symptoms predict the development of the metabolic syndrome. Sleep, 2010, 33: 1633–1640. , , et al.
- Insomnia with objective short sleep duration is associated with a high risk for hypertension. Sleep, 2009, 32: 491–497. , , , and
- Association of short sleep duration with weight gain and obesity at 1-year follow-up: a large-scale prospective study. Sleep, 2010, 33: 161–167. , , and