Sleep apnea and diabetes
Differences in relationships among sleep apnoea, glucose level, sleep duration and sleepiness between persons with and without type 2 diabetes
Article first published online: 9 FEB 2012
© 2012 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 21, Issue 4, pages 410–418, August 2012
How to Cite
HARADA, Y., OGA, T., CHIN, K., TAKEGAMI, M., TAKAHASHI, K.-I., SUMI, K., NAKAMURA, T., NAKAYAMA-ASHIDA, Y., MINAMI, I., HORITA, S., OKA, Y., WAKAMURA, T., FUKUHARA, S., MISHIMA, M. and KADOTANI, H. (2012), Differences in relationships among sleep apnoea, glucose level, sleep duration and sleepiness between persons with and without type 2 diabetes. Journal of Sleep Research, 21: 410–418. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2012.00997.x
- Issue published online: 10 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 9 FEB 2012
- Accepted in revised form 22 December 2011; received 27 July 2011
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine Task Force. Sleep-related breathing disorders in adults: recommendations for syndrome definition and measurement techniques in clinical research. Sleep, 1999, 22: 667–689.
- Impact of untreated obstructive sleep apnea on glucose control in type 2 diabetes. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2010, 181: 507–513. , , and
- Insulin resistance and daytime sleepiness in patients with sleep apnoea. Thorax, 2008, 63: 946–950. , , et al.
- Diabetes in Asia: epidemiology, risk factors, and pathophysiology. JAMA, 2009, 301: 2129–2140. , , et al.
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine; American Thoracic Society; American College of Chest Physicians. Practice parameters for the use of portable monitoring devices in the investigation of suspected obstructive sleep apnea in adults. Sleep, 2003, 26: 907–913. , and
- Associations between obstructive sleep apnea, metabolic syndrome and sleep duration, as measured with an actigraph, in an urban male working population in Japan. Sleep, 2010, 33: 89–95. , , et al.
- Portable Monitoring Task Force of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. Clinical guidelines for the use of unattended portable monitors in the diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea in adult patients. Portable Monitoring Task Force of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2007, 3: 737–747. , and et al.
- Comparison of full in laboratory polysomnography to a portable sleep data acquisition device. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2003, 167: A405. , , and
- Accuracy of an ambulatory device for the diagnosis of sleep disordered breathing. Indian J. Sleep Med., 2009, 4: 143–148. , and
- Prevalence of sleep apnea in a population of adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Endocr. Pract., 2007, 13: 355–362. , , , , and
- Sleep AHEAD Research Group. Obstructive sleep apnea among obese patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care, 2009, 32: 1017–1019. , , et al.
- Effects of the presence of hypertension on the relationship between obstructive sleep apnoea and sleepiness. J. Sleep Res., 2011, 20: 538–543. , , et al.
- HIPOP-OHP Research Group. A prospective study of passive smoking and risk of diabetes in a cohort of workers: the High-Risk and Population Strategy for Occupational Health Promotion (HIPOP-OHP) study. Diabetes Care, 2008, 31: 732–734. , , et al.
- International Diabetes Federation. Sleep apnoea and type 2 diabetes. 2010. http://www.idf.org/sleep-apnoea-and-type-2-diabetes. [accessed 25 November 2011].
- Characteristics of sleep-disordered breathing in Japanese patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Metabolism, 2010, 59: 690–696. , , et al.
- Cross-sectional associations between measures of sleep and markers of glucose metabolism among subjects with and without diabetes: the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) Sleep Study. Diabetes Care, 2011, 34: 1171–1176. , , , and
- Practice parameters for the indications for polysomnography and related procedures: an update for 2005. Sleep, 2005, 28: 499–521. , , et al.
- Is sleep apnea an independent risk factor for prevalent and incident diabetes in the Busselton Health Study? J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2009, 5: 15–20. , , , , and
- Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare. Report of national health and nutrition survey 2007. 2008. http://www.mhlw.go.jp/houdou/2008/12/dl/h1225-5d.pdf. [accessed 25 November 2011].
- Standards of Practice Committee; American Academy of Sleep Medicine. Practice parameters for the use of actigraphy in the assessment of sleep and sleep disorders: an update for 2007. Sleep, 2007, 30: 519–529. , , et al.
- Sleep-disordered breathing in the usual lifestyle setting as detected with home monitoring in a population of working men in Japan. Sleep, 2008, 31: 419–425. , , et al.
- Sleep Heart Health Study Investigators. Sleep-disordered breathing, glucose intolerance, and insulin resistance: the Sleep Heart Health Study. Am. J. Epidemiol., 2004, 160: 521–530. , , , , and
- Diabetes in Asia. Lancet, 2010, 375: 408–418. , and
- Sleep Heart Health Study. Diabetes and sleep disturbances: findings from the Sleep Heart Health Study. Diabetes Care, 2003, 26: 702–709. , , et al.
- Effects of poor and short sleep on glucose metabolism and obesity risk. Nat. Rev. Endocrinol., 2009, 5: 253–261. , , and
- Development of a Japanese version of the Epworth Sleepiness Scale (JESS) based on item response theory. Sleep Med., 2009, 10: 556–565. , , et al.
- Reduced sleep duration or quality: relationships with insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. Prog. Cardiovasc. Dis., 2009, 51: 381–391. , and
- Disagreement between subjective and actigraphic measures of sleep duration in a population-based study of elderly persons. J. Sleep Res., 2008, 17: 295–302. , , et al.
- The occurrence of sleep-disordered breathing among middle-aged adults. N. Engl. J. Med., 1993, 328: 1230–1235. , , , , and