Depression and Insomnia
Modeling the direction of causation between cross-sectional measures of disrupted sleep, anxiety and depression in a sample of male and female Australian twins
Article first published online: 27 JUN 2012
© 2012 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 21, Issue 6, pages 675–683, December 2012
How to Cite
GILLESPIE, N. A., GEHRMAN, P., BYRNE, E. M., KENDLER, K. S., HEATH, A. C. and MARTIN, N. G. (2012), Modeling the direction of causation between cross-sectional measures of disrupted sleep, anxiety and depression in a sample of male and female Australian twins. Journal of Sleep Research, 21: 675–683. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2012.01026.x
- Issue published online: 27 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 27 JUN 2012
- Accepted in revised form 29 April 2012; received 9 November 2011
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-IV, 4th edn. American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC, 1994.
- Sleep and emotions: a focus on insomnia. Sleep Med. Rev., 2010, 14: 227–238. , , and
- Insomnia as a predictor of depression: a meta-analytic evaluation of longitudinal epidemiological studies. J. Affect. Disord., 2011, 135: 10–19. , , et al.
- Genetics of educational attainment in Australian twins: sex differences and secular changes. Behav. Genet., 1996, 26: 89–102. , , , and
- The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic, and statistical consideration. J. Pers. Soc. Psychol., 1986, 51: 1173–1182. and
- Sleep and psychiatric disorders. a meta-analysis. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 1992, 49: 651–668; discussion 69–70. , , and
- The theoretical status of latent variables. Psychol. Rev., 2003, 110: 203–219. , and
- Comorbidity: a network perspective. Behav. Brain Sci., 2010, 33: 137–150; discussion 50–93. , , and
- Sleep disorders in psychiatric diseases. epidemiological aspects. L’Encephale, 1992, 18: 331–340.
- Residual symptoms and recurrence during maintenance treatment of late-life depression. J. Affect. Disord., 2007, 103: 77–82. , , et al.
- Inferring the direction of causation in cross-sectional twin data: theoretical and empirical considerations [see comments]. Genet. Epidemiol., 1994, 11: 483–502. and
- Genetic and environmental risk factors for depression assessed by subject-rated symptom check list versus structured clinical interview. Psychol. Med., 2001, 31: 1413–1423. , and
- The genetics of insomnia. Sleep Med. Clin., 2011, 6: 191–202. , , and
- The genetic aetiology of somatic distress. Psychol. Med., 2000, 30: 1051–1061. , , , and
- Direction of causation modeling between measures of distress and parental bonding. Behav. Genet., 2003, 33: 383–396. , , , and
- The direction of longitudinal associations between sleep problems and depression symptoms: a study of twins aged 8 and 10 years. Sleep, 2009, 32: 189–199. , , , and
- Sleep and circadian functioning: critical mechanisms in the mood disorders? Annu. Rev. Clin. Psychol., 2011, 7: 297–319.
- Testing hypotheses about direction of causation using cross-sectional family data. Behav. Genet., 1993, 23: 29–50. , , , , and
- A review and meta-analysis of the genetic epidemiology of anxiety disorders. Am. J. Psychiatry, 2001, 158: 1568–1578. , and
- The environment and disease: association or causation? Proc. R. Soc. Med., 1965, 58: 295–300.
- The association of insomnia with anxiety disorders and depression: exploration of the direction of risk. J. Psychiatr. Res., 2006, 40: 700–708. , and
- Symptoms of anxiety and depression in a volunteer twin population. The etiologic role of genetic and environmental factors. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 1986, 43: 213–221. , , and
- Toward scientifically useful quantitative models of psychopathology: the importance of a comparative approach. Behav. Brain Sci., 2010, 33: 163–164. , and
- Extensions to pedigree analysis. II. Recurrence risk calculation under the polygenic threshold model. Hum. Hered., 1976, 26: 337–348. , and
- Methodology for Genetic Studies of Twins and Families, 1st edn. Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht, 1992. and
- Depression and parental bonding: cause, consequence, or genetic covariance? Genet. Epidemiol., 1994, 11: 503–522. , , et al.
- Statistical Modeling, 7th edn. Department of Psychiatry, Richmond, VA, 2006. , , and
- Primary insomnia: a risk factor to develop depression? J. Affect. Disord., 2003, 76: 255–259. and
- Genetic epidemiology of major depression: review and meta-analysis. Am. J. Psychiatry, 2000, 157: 1552–1562. , and
- Sleep and depression. J. Clin. Psychiatry, 2005, 66: 1254–1269. , and
- Overnight therapy? The role of sleep in emotional brain processing Psychol. Bull., 2009, 135: 731–748. and
- The method of path coefficients. Annals Math. Stat., 1934, 5: 161–215.