Progressive dopamine and hypocretin deficiencies in Parkinson’s disease: is there an impact on sleep and wakefulness?
Article first published online: 2 JUL 2012
© 2012 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 21, Issue 6, pages 710–717, December 2012
How to Cite
WIENECKE, M., WERTH, E., PORYAZOVA, R., BAUMANN-VOGEL, H., BASSETTI, C. L., WELLER, M., WALDVOGEL, D., STORCH, A. and BAUMANN, C. R. (2012), Progressive dopamine and hypocretin deficiencies in Parkinson’s disease: is there an impact on sleep and wakefulness?. Journal of Sleep Research, 21: 710–717. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2012.01027.x
- Issue published online: 27 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 2 JUL 2012
- Accepted in revised form 15 May 2012; received 25 Febrary 2012
- Hallucinations, REM sleep, and Parkinson’s disease: a medical hypothesis. Neurology, 2000, 55: 281–288. , , et al.
- Parkinson’s disease and sleepiness: an integral part of PD. Neurology, 2002, 58: 1019–1024. , , et al.
- Hypocretins (orexins) and sleep–wake disorders. Lancet Neurol., 2005, 4: 673–682. and
- Normal CSF hypocretin-1 (orexin A) levels in dementia with Lewy bodies associated with excessive daytime sleepiness. Eur. Neurol., 2004, 52: 73–76. , , and
- Parkinsonism with excessive daytime sleepiness—a narcolepsy-like disorder? J. Neurol., 2005, 252: 139–145. , , , and
- Hypocretin (orexin) deficiency predicts severe objective excessive daytime sleepiness in narcolepsy with cataplexy. J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry, 2006, 77: 402–404. , , and
- Sleep–wake disturbances 6 months after traumatic brain injury: a prospective study. Brain, 2007, 130: 1873–1883. , , , and
- Inter-rater reliability for identification of REM sleep in Parkinson’s disease. Sleep, 2000, 23: 671–676. , , , and
- Idiopathic Parkinson’s disease: possible routes by which vulnerable neuronal types may be subject to neuroinvasion by an unknown pathogen. J. Neural. Transm., 2003, 110: 517–536. , , and
- Sleep disturbances in untreated Parkinson’s disease. J. Neurol., 2011, 258: 2254–2259. , , et al.
- Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Prevalence and correlates of periodic limb movements in older women. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2006, 2: 438–445.
- Is obstructive sleep apnea a problem in Parkinson’s disease? Sleep Med., 2010, 11: 247–252. , , et al.
- Polysomnographic sleep measures in Parkinson’s disease patients with treatment-induced hallucinations. Ann. Neurol., 1993, 34: 710–714. , and
- Cerebrospinal hypocretin, daytime sleepiness and sleep architecture in Parkinson’s disease dementia. Brain, 2009, 132: 3308–3317. , , et al.
- CSF hypocretin-1 levels in narcolepsy, Kleine–Levin syndrome, and other hypersomnias and neurological conditions. J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry, 2003, 74: 1667–1673. , , et al.
- Restoration of normal motor control in Parkinson’s disease during REM sleep. Brain, 2007, 130: 450–456. , , et al.
- Sleep apnea syndrome in Parkinson’s disease. A case–control study in 49 patients. Mov. Disord., 2005, 20: 1413–1418. , , et al.
- UPDRS program members. In: Fahn, S., Marsden, C. D., Goldstein, M., Calne, D. B., editors. Recent developments in Parkinsons disease, Vol. 2. Florham Park, NJ: Macmillan Healthcare Information; 1987: 153–163. , ,
- Hypocretin (orexin) loss in Parkinson’s disease. Brain, 2007, 130: 1577–1585. , , et al.
- REM sleep behavior disorder and REM sleep without atonia in Parkinson’s disease. Neurology, 2002, 59: 585–589. , , et al.
- Diagnostic criteria for Parkinson disease. Arch. Neurol., 1999, 56: 33–39. , and
- Excessive daytime sleepiness in Parkinson disease: is it the drugs or the disease? Neurology, 2006, 67: 853–858. , , , and
- Perception of sleep: subjective versus objective sleep parameters in patients with Parkinson’s disease in comparison with healthy elderly controls. Sleep perception in Parkinson’s disease and controls. J. Neurol., 2005, 252: 936–943. , , et al.
- Parkinsonism: onset, progression, and mortality. 1967. Neurology, 2001, 57: S11–S26. and
- The AASM Manual for the Scoring of Sleep and Associated Events: Rules, Terminology and Technical Specifications, 1st edn. American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Westchester, IL, 2007. , , and
- Sleep symptoms and polysomnographic architecture in advanced Parkinson’s disease after chronic bilateral subthalamic stimulation. J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry, 2002, 72: 661–664. , , , and
- Correlates of sleep-onset REM periods during the Multiple Sleep Latency Test in community adults. Brain, 2006, 129: 1609–1623. , , et al.
- Vigilance troubles in Parkinson’s disease: a subjective and objective polysomnographic study. Sleep Med., 2006, 7: 448–453. , , et al.
- Polysomnographic diagnosis of idiopathic REM sleep behavior disorder. Mov. Disord., 2010, 25: 2044–2051. , , et al.
- Predictors of impaired daytime sleep and wakefulness in patients with Parkinson disease treated with older (ergot) vs newer (nonergot) dopamine agonists. Arch. Neurol., 2004, 61: 97–102. , and
- Assessment of sleepiness and unintended sleep in Parkinson’s disease patients taking dopamine agonists. Sleep Med., 2003, 4: 275–280. , , et al.
- Daytime sleepiness in Parkinson’s disease. J. Sleep Res., 2000, 9: 63–69. , , and
- Associated factors for REM sleep behavior disorder in Parkinson disease. Neurology, 2011, 77: 1048–1054. , , and
- Daytime sleepiness and alertness in patients with Parkinson disease. Sleep, 2004, 27: 967–972. , and
- Hypocretin (orexin) cell loss in Parkinson’s disease. Brain, 2007, 130: 1586–1595. , and
- Systematic review of levodopa dose equivalency reporting in Parkinson’s disease. Mov. Disord., 2010, 25: 2649–2653. , , , , and
- No increased risk of obstructive sleep apnea in Parkinson’s disease. Mov. Disord., 2010, 25: 2246–2249. and
- Fatigue and excessive daytime sleepiness in idiopathic Parkinson’s disease differently correlate with motor symptoms, depression and dopaminergic treatment. Eur. J. Neurol., 2010, 17: 1428–1436. , , , , and
- Comparison of sleep disturbance in mild versus severe Parkinson’s disease. Sleep, 2002, 25: 573–577. , , , , and