Obesity and sleep
Exenatide improves excessive daytime sleepiness and wakefulness in obese patients with type 2 diabetes without obstructive sleep apnoea
Article first published online: 20 JUN 2012
© 2012 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 70–75, February 2013
How to Cite
IDRIS, I., ABDULLA, H., TILBROOK, S., DEAN, R. and ALI, N. (2013), Exenatide improves excessive daytime sleepiness and wakefulness in obese patients with type 2 diabetes without obstructive sleep apnoea. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 70–75. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2012.01030.x
- Issue published online: 16 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 20 JUN 2012
- Accepted in revised form 19 May 2012; received 7 February 2012
- Oxyntomodulin and glucagon-like peptide-1 differentially regulate murine food intake and energy expenditure. Gastroenterology, 2004, 127: 546–558. , , and
- Weight-related quality of life, health utility, psychological well-being, and satisfaction with exenatide once weekly compared with sitagliptin or pioglitazone after 26 weeks of treatment. Diabetes Care, 2011, 34: 314–319. , , et al.
- Excessive daytime sleepiness in a general population sample: the role of sleep apnoea, age, obesity, diabetes and depression. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab., 2005, 90: 4510–4515. , , , , and
- Daytime sleepiness: an epidemiological study of young adults. Am. J. Public Health, 1997, 87: 1646–1653. , , and
- Metabolic effects of two years of exenatide treatment on diabetes, obesity, and hepatic biomarkers in patients with type 2 diabetes: an interim analysis of data from the open-label, uncontrolled extension of three double-blind, placebo-controlled trials. Clin. Ther., 2007, 29: 139–153. , , et al.
- Epidemiologic study of sleep disturbances and psychiatric disorders. An opportunity for prevention. JAMA, 1989, 262: 1479–1484. and
- Simulated driving performance in patients with obstructive sleep apnea. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 1996, 154: 175–181.
- Obstructive sleep apnoea is independently associated with the metabolic syndrome but not insulin resistance state. Cardiovasc. Diabetol., 2006, 5: 22. , , , and
- Excess day-time sleepiness in patients with diabetes: relationship between HbA(1c), BMI and vascular complications. Diabet. Med., 2007, 24: 1175–1176. , and
- Comparison of the maintenance of wakefulness test (MWT) to a modified behavioral test (OSLER) in the evaluation of daytime sleepiness. J. Sleep Res., 2004, 13: 407–411. , , , and
- Which parts of the road guide steering?Nature, 1995, 377: 339–340. and
- Orexin receptor 2 expression in the posterior hypothalamus rescues sleepiness in narcoleptic mice. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 2011, 108: 4471–4476. , , et al.
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). Type 2 diabetes: newer agents for blood glucose control in type 2 diabetes (Clinical Guideline 87). 2009. Available at: http://www.nice.org.uk/CG8 (last accessed 21 April 2012).
- the Sleep Heart Health Study Research Group. Relation of sleep-disordered breathing to cardiovascular disease risk factors: the Sleep Heart Health Study. Am. J. Epidemiol., 2001, 154: 50–59. , , et al. ,
- Hypothalamus, hypocretins/orexins, and vigilance control. Handb. Clin. Neurol., 2011, 99: 765–782.
- Differential patterns of neuronal activation in the brainstem and hypothalamus following peripheral injection of GLP-1, oxyntomodulin and lithium chloride in mice detected by manganese-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging (MEMRI). Neuroimage, 2009, 44: 1022–1031. , , et al.
- the Sleep Heart Health Study Research Group. Diabetes and sleep disturbances: findings from the Sleep Heart Health Study. Diabetes Care, 2003, 26: 702–709. , , et al. ,
- Low sleep quality and daytime sleepiness in obese patients without obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome. J. Intern. Med., 2003, 253: 536–543. , , et al.
- The Association of British Clinical Diabetologists (ABCD) nationwide exenatide audit. Pract. Diabetes Int., 2010, 27: 352–357. , , , , and
- Acute effects of recombinant human interleukin-6 on endocrine and central nervous sleep functions in healthy men. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab., 1998, 83: 1573–1579. , , et al.
- Drugs for sleep disorders: mechanisms and therapeutic prospects. Br. J. Clin. Pharmacol., 2006, 61: 761–766.
- Obesity without sleep apnea is associated with daytime sleepiness. Arch. Intern. Med., 1998, 158: 1333–1337. , , , , and
- Circadian interleukin-6 secretion and quantity and depth of sleep. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab., 1999, 84: 2603–2607. , , et al.
- Marked decrease in sleepiness in patients with sleep apnea by etanercept, a tumor necrosis factor-alpha antagonist. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab., 2004, 89: 4409–4413. , , , , and
- Prevalence of obstructive sleep apnoea in men with type 2 diabetes. Thorax, 2006, 61: 945–950. , and