Stress and sleep
Stress vulnerability and the effects of moderate daily stress on sleep polysomnography and subjective sleepiness
Article first published online: 27 JUL 2012
© 2012 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 50–57, February 2013
How to Cite
PETERSEN, H., KECKLUND, G., D'ONOFRIO, P., NILSSON, J. and ÅKERSTEDT, T. (2013), Stress vulnerability and the effects of moderate daily stress on sleep polysomnography and subjective sleepiness. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 50–57. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2012.01034.x
- Issue published online: 16 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 27 JUL 2012
- Accepted in revised form 8 June 2012; received 29 November 2012
- AASM. The International Classification of Sleep Disorders. Diagnostic and Coding Manual. American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Westchester, Illinois, 2005.
- Subjective and objective sleepiness in the active individual. Int. J. Neurosci., 1990, 52: 29–37. and
- Impaired sleep after bedtime stress and worries. Biol. Psychol., 2007, 76: 170–173. , and
- Good sleep – its timing and physiological sleep characteristics. J. Sleep Res., 1997, 6: 221–229. , , and
- Work load and work hours in relation to disturbed sleep and fatigue in a large representative sample. J. Psychosom. Res., 2002a, 53: 585–588. , , and
- Sleep disturbances, work stress and work hours. A cross-sectional study. J. Psychosom. Res., 2002b, 53: 741–748. , , , , and
- Characteristics of insomnia in the United States: results of the 1991 National Sleep Foundation survey. I. Sleep, 1999, 22(Suppl.2): S347–S353. and
- Arbetsmiljöverket. Arbetsorsakade besvär 2010/Work-related disorders 2010. (Work environment statistics Report 2010:4). Stockholm: Work Environment Authority.
- ASDAEEG arousals: scoring rules and examples. Sleep, 1992, 15: 173–184.
- The sleep of skydivers: a study of stress. Psychophysiology, 1978, 15: 209–213. , and
- Stress effects in laboratory and real situations in relation to REM sleep and psychophysiological activation. Z. Exp. Angew. Psychol., 1979, 26: 37–52. and
- Sleep and psychiatric disorders. A meta-analysis. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 1992, 49: 651–668. , , and
- Sleep and mood disorders. Sleep Med. Rev., 1997, 1: 45–56. , , , , , and
- Different levels of work-related stress and the effects on sleep, fatigue and cortisol. Scand. J. Work Environ. Health, 2005, 31: 277–285. , and
- Impact and correlates of poor sleep quality in Japanese white-collar employees. Sleep, 2003, 26: 467–471. , and
- Vulnerability to stress-related sleep disturbance and hyperarousal. Sleep, 2004, 27: 285–291. , , , and
- Insufficient sleep, cognitive anxiety and health transition in men with coronary artery disease: a self-report and polysomnographic study. J. Adv. Nurs., 2002, 37: 414–422.
- Microarousals during sleep are associated with increased levels of lipids, cortisol, and blood pressure. Psychosom. Med., 2004, 66: 925–931. , and
- Disturbed sleep and fatigue in occupational burnout. Scand. J. Work Environ. Health, 2006, 32: 121–131. , , , , and
- Symptoms of stress and depression as correlates of sleep in primary insomnia. Psychosom. Med., 2000, 62: 227–230. , , et al.
- A cognitive model of insomnia. Behav. Res. Ther., 2002, 40: 869–893.
- Student sleep patterns before, during and after an examination period. J. Psychol., 1974, 4: 16–24. and
- Estimation at the box correction for degrees of freedom for sample data in randomised block and split-plot designs. J. Educ. Stat., 1976, 1: 69–82. and
- Job stress and sleep disorders: findings from the Helsinki Heart Study. Stress Med., 2000, 16: 65–75. , , , and
- Apprehension of the subsequent working day is associated with a low amount of slow wave sleep. Biol. Psychol., 2004, 66: 169–176. and
- Morning work: effects of early rising on sleep and alertness. Sleep, 1997, 20: 215–223. , and
- Nocturnal EEG-GSR profiles: the influence of presleep states. Psychophysiology, 1967, 3: 238–248. , and
- Disturbed dreaming, posttraumatic stress disorder, and affect distress: a review and neurocognitive model. Psychol. Bull., 2007, 133: 482–528. and
- Measuring outcomes in randomized clinical trials of insomnia treatments. Sleep Med. Rev., 2003, 7: 263–279.
- Epidemiology of insomnia: a longitudinal study in a UK population. Sleep, 2007, 30: 274–280. , , , and
- A Manual of Standardized Terminology, Techniques and Scoring System for Sleep Stages of Human Subjects. US Department of Health, Education and Welfare, Public Health Service, Bethesda, 1968. and .
- Age, working conditions, and sleep disorders: a longitudinal analysis in the French cohort E.S.T.E.V. Sleep, 1999, 22: 491–504. and
- Sleep and sleepiness in young individuals with high burnout scores. Sleep, 2004, 17: 1369–1377. , , , and
- Disturbed sleep while being on call. An EEG study of apprehension in ships’ engineers. Sleep, 1988, 11: 35–38. and
- Self-evaluations of factors promoting and disturbing sleep: an epidemiological survey in Finland. Soc. Sci. Med., 1988, 26: 443–450. , , and