Measures of sleepiness
Objective and subjective measures of sleepiness, and their associations with on-road driving events in shift workers
Article first published online: 3 AUG 2012
© 2012 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 58–69, February 2013
How to Cite
FTOUNI, S., SLETTEN, T. L., HOWARD, M., ANDERSON, C., LENNÉ, M. G., LOCKLEY, S. W. and RAJARATNAM, S. M. W. (2013), Objective and subjective measures of sleepiness, and their associations with on-road driving events in shift workers. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 58–69. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2012.01038.x
- Issue published online: 16 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 3 AUG 2012
- Accepted in revised form 15 June 2012; received 1 March 2012
- Impaired alertness and performance driving home from the night shift: a driving simulator study. J. Sleep Res., 2005, 14: 17–20. , , and
- Sleep deprivation: impact on cognitive performance. Neuropsychiatr. Dis. Treat., 2007, 3: 553–567. and
- PVT lapses differ according to eyes open, closed, or looking away. Sleep, 2010, 33: 197–204. , and
- The effects of driving situation on sleepiness indicators after sleep loss: a driving simulator study. Ind. Health, 2009, 47: 393–401. , , , and
- Shift work: coping with the biological clock. Occup. Med. (Lond.), 2010, 60: 10–20.
- Austroads. RoadFacts 2005: An Overview of the Australian and New Zealand Road Systems. Austroads, Sydney, 2005.
- Extended work shifts and the risk of motor vehicle crashes among interns. N. Engl. J. Med., 2005, 352: 125–134. , , et al.
- Neurobehavioral, health, and safety consequences associated with shift work in safety-sensitive professions. Curr. Neurol. Neurosci. Rep., 2009, 9: 155–164. , , and
- Sleepiness combined with low alcohol intake in women drivers: greater impairment but better perception than men?Sleep, 2004, 27: 1057–1062. , and
- Attention and working memory in resident anaesthetists after night duty: group and individual effects. Occup. Environ. Med., 2004, 61: 167–170. , , and
- Real-time system for monitoring driver vigilance. IEEE Trans. Intell. Transp. Syst, 2006, 7: 63–77. , , , and
- Experimental evaluation of eye-blink parameters as a drowsiness measure. Eur. J. Appl. Physiol., 2003, 89: 319–325. , and
- Uncovering residual effects of chronic sleep loss on human performance. Sci. Transl. Med., 2010, 2: 14ra3. , , et al.
- Automatic sleep/wake identification from wrist activity. Sleep, 1992, 15: 461–469. , , , and
- Prevalence of sleepiness in surviving drivers of motor vehicle collisions. Intern. Med. J., 2008, 38: 769–775. , , , and
- Fatigue, alcohol and performance impairment. Nature, 1997, 388: 235. and
- Paradoxical timing of the circadian rhythm of sleep propensity serves to consolidate sleep and wakefulness in humans. Neurosci. Lett., 1994, 166: 63–68. and
- Cumulative sleepiness, mood disturbance, and psychomotor vigilance performance decrements during a week of sleep restricted to 4–5 hours per night. Sleep, 1997, 20: 267–277. , , et al.
- Fatigue-Related Crashes: An Analysis of Fatigue-related Crashes on Australian Roads Using an 5 Operational Definition of Fatigue. Australian Transport Safety Bureau, Canberra, ACT, 2002.
- Healthy older adults better tolerate sleep deprivation than younger adults. J. Am. Geriatr. Soc., 2009, 57: 1245–1251. , , and
- Relationships between affect, vigilance, and sleepiness following sleep deprivation. J. Sleep Res., 2008, 17: 34–41. , and
- Evaluation of fatigue monitoring technologies. Somnologie, 2010, 14: 187–199. , , , and
- Blink duration as an indicator of driver sleepiness in professional bus drivers. Sleep, 1999, 22: 798–802. , , , and
- Awareness of sleepiness when driving. Psychophysiology, 2004, 41: 161–165. and
- Sleep related vehicle accidents. BMJ, 1995, 310: 565–567. and
- Subjective sleepiness, simulated driving performance and blink duration: examining individual differences. J. Sleep Res., 2006, 15: 47–53. , , , and
- Monitoring eye and eyelid movements by infrared reflectance oculography to measure drowsiness in drivers. Somnologie, 2007, 11: 234–242. , , , and
- The Impact of Driver Inattention on Near-crash/Crash Risk: An Analysis Using the 100-Car Naturalistic Driving Study Data. Blacksburg, Virginia, 2006. , , , and
- Electroencephalography activity associated with driver fatigue: implications for a fatigue countermeasure device. J. Psychophysiol., 2001, 15: 183–189. and
- Driver fatigue: electroencephalography and psychological assessment. Psychophysiology, 2002, 39: 313–321. and
- Interactive effects of sleep deprivation, time of day, and driving experience on a driving task. Sleep, 1998, 21: 38–44. , and
- Sleepiness, driving, and motor vehicle crashes. JAMA, 1998, 279: 1908–1913. , , and
- The hazards and prevention of driving while sleepy. Sleep Med. Rev., 2003, 7: 507–521. , and
- A survey screen for prediction of apnea. Sleep, 1995, 18: 158–166. , , et al.
- Effects of rotating night shifts: literature review. J. Adv. Nurs., 2005, 50: 433–439.
- Using the Berlin Questionnaire to identify patients at risk for the sleep apnea syndrome. Ann. Intern. Med., 1999, 131: 485–491. , , , and
- Prevalence and consequences of sleep disorders in a shift worker population. J. Psychosom. Res., 2002, 53: 577–583. , , and
- Fatigue, sleep restriction, and performance in automobile drivers: a controlled study in a natural environment. Sleep, 2003, 26: 277–280. , , et al.
- Fatigue, sleep restriction and driving performance. Accid. Anal. Prev., 2005, 37: 473–478. , , et al.
- Daytime exposure to bright light, as compared to dim light, decreases sleepiness and improves psychomotor vigilance performance. Sleep, 2003, 26: 695–700. , , and
- Differential effects of permanent and rotating shifts on self-report sleep length: a meta-analytic review. Sleep, 2000, 23: 155–163. , and
- Health in a 24-h society. Lancet, 2001, 358: 999–1005. and
- Errors and violations on the roads: a real distinction?Ergonomics, 1990, 33: 1315–1332. , , , and
- Effectiveness of UK motorway services areas in reducing sleep-related and other collisions. Accid. Anal. Prev., 2010, 42: 1416–1418. , and
- Monitoring driver fatigue using facial analysis techniques. IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Proceedings. IEEE, Tokyo, 1999: 314–318. and
- The relationship between driving performance and the Johns Drowsiness Scale as measured by the Optalert system. Monash University Accident and Research Centre, Melbourne, 2006. , , , , and
- The endogenous eyeblink. Psychophysiology, 1984, 21: 22–33. , and
- Blink rate: a possible measure of fatigue. Hum. Factors, 1994, 36: 285–297. , and
- Asleep at the Wheel: the Prevalence and Impact of Drowsy Driving. AAA foundation for traffic safety, Washington, DC, 2010.
- The relationship between subjective and objective sleepiness and performance during a simulated night-shift with a nap countermeasure. Appl. Ergon., 2010, 42: 52–61. , , et al.
- The cumulative cost of additional wakefulness: dose-response effects on neurobehavioral functions and sleep physiology from chronic sleep restriction and total sleep deprivation. Sleep, 2003, 26: 117–126. , , and