Induction of slow oscillations
Induction of slow oscillations by rhythmic acoustic stimulation
Version of Record online: 23 AUG 2012
© 2012 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 22–31, February 2013
How to Cite
NGO, H.-V. V., CLAUSSEN, J. C., BORN, J. and MÖLLE, M. (2013), Induction of slow oscillations by rhythmic acoustic stimulation. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 22–31. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2012.01039.x
- Issue online: 16 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 23 AUG 2012
- Accepted in revised form 24 June 2012; received 6 March 2012
- Low-frequency (<1 Hz) oscillations in the human sleep electroencephalogram. Neuroscience, 1997, 81: 213–222. and
- Comment on ‘The human K-complex represents an isolated cortical down-state’. Science, 2010, 330: 35.
- Cellular substrates and laminar profile of sleep K-complex. Neuroscience, 1998, 82: 671–686. and
- Effects of rate of tone-pip stimulation on the evoked K-complex. J. Sleep Res., 1994, 3: 65–72. and
- Semantic analysis of auditory input during sleep: studies with event related potentials. Int. J. Psychophysiol., 2002, 46: 243–255. , and
- Monotonous stimulation, sleep onset and habituation of the orienting reaction. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1971, 31: 593–601.
- Event-related potential measures of the inhibition of information processing: II. The sleep onset period. Int. J. Psychophysiol., 2002, 46: 197–214. and
- The human K-complex represents an isolated cortical down-state. Science, 2009, 324: 1084–1087. , , et al.
- The use of evoked potentials in sleep research. Sleep Med. Rev., 2007, 11: 277–293. and
- Cellular basis of EEG slow rhythms: a study of dynamic corticothalamic relationships. J. Neurosci., 1995, 15: 604–622. and
- Probing awareness during sleep with the auditory odd-ball paradigm. Int. J. Psychophysiol., 2002, 46: 227–241.
- Interplay between spontaneous and induced brain activity during human non-rapid eye movement sleep. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 2011, 108: 15438–15443. , , et al.
- The spontaneous K-complex during stage 2 sleep: is it the ‘forerunner’ of delta waves?Neurosci. Lett., 2000, 291: 41–43. , and
- The memory function of sleep. Nat. Rev. Neurosci., 2010, 11: 114–126. and
- Stimuli for auditory evoked potential assessment. In: R. F. Burkhard, M. Don and J. J. Eggermont (Eds) Auditory Evoked Potentials: Basic Principles and Clinical Application. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, 2006: 42–72. and
- Entrainment of slow oscillations of auditory thalamic neurons by repetitive sound stimuli. J. Neurosci., 2009, 29: 6013–6021. , , et al.
- Instrumental conditioning of human sensorimotor rhythm (12–15 Hz) and its impact on sleep as well as declarative learning. Sleep, 2008, 31: 1401–1408. , , et al.
- Slow oscillation electrical brain stimulation during waking promotes EEG theta activity and memory encoding. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 2009, 106: 15460–15465. , , , and
- Sleep-dependent improvement in visuomotor learning: a causal role for slow waves. Sleep, 2009, 32: 1273–1284. , , et al.
- Boosting slow oscillations during sleep potentiates memory. Nature, 2006, 444: 610–613. , , and
- Triggering sleep slow waves by transcranial magnetic stimulation. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 2007, 104: 8496–8501. , , et al.
- Slow oscillations orchestrating fast oscillations and memory consolidation. Prog. Brain Res., 2011, 193: 93–110. and
- Grouping of spindle activity during slow oscillations in human non-rapid eye movement sleep. J. Neurosci., 2002, 22: 10941–10947. , , and
- Fast and slow spindles during the sleep slow oscillation: disparate coalescence and engagement in memory processing. Sleep, 2011, 34: 1411–1421. , , and
- Sensory processing during early and late nocturnal sleep. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1996, 99: 247–256. , , , and
- Hippocampal memory consolidation during sleep: a comparison of mammals and birds. Biol. Rev. Camb. Philos. Soc., 2011, 86: 658–691. , , and
- A Manual of Standardized Terminology, Techniques and Scoring System for Sleep Stages of Human Subjects . Gov. Printing Office, Washington DC, 1968. and
- Temporal dynamics of cortical sources underlying spontaneous and peripherally evoked slow waves. Prog. Brain Res., 2011, 193: 201–218. , , , and
- Cellular and network mechanisms of rhythmic recurrent activity in neocortex. Nat. Neurosci., 2000, 3: 1027–1034. and
- Grouping of brain rhythms in corticothalamic systems. Neuroscience, 2006, 137: 1087–1106.
- A novel slow (<1 Hz) oscillation of neocortical neurons in vivo: depolarizing and hyperpolarizing components. J. Neurosci., 1993, 13: 3252–3265. , and
- Sleep function and synaptic homeostasis. Sleep Med. Rev., 2006, 10: 49–62. and
- Sleep benefits subsequent hippocampal functioning. Nat. Neurosci., 2009, 12: 122–123. , , et al.
- Triggering slow waves during NREM sleep in the rat by intracortical electrical stimulation: effects of sleep/wake history and background activity. J. Neurophysiol., 2009, 101: 1921–1931. , , and