Evening ambient light exposure can reduce circadian phase advances to morning light independent of sleep deprivation
Version of Record online: 13 AUG 2012
© 2012 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 83–88, February 2013
How to Cite
BURGESS, H. J. (2013), Evening ambient light exposure can reduce circadian phase advances to morning light independent of sleep deprivation. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 83–88. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2012.01042.x
- Issue online: 16 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 13 AUG 2012
- Accepted in revised form 6 July 2012; received 6 April 2012
- Maximizing sensitivity of the psychomotor vigilance test (PVT) to sleep loss. Sleep, 2011, 34: 581–591. and
- An inventory for measuring depression. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 1961, 4: 53–63. , , , and
- Partial sleep deprivation reduces phase advances to light in humans. J. Biol. Rhythms, 2010, 25: 460–468.
- Early versus late bedtimes phase shift the human dim light melatonin rhythm despite a fixed morning lights on time. Neurosci. Lett., 2004, 356: 115–118. and
- Short nights attenuate light-induced circadian phase advances in humans. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab., 2005, 90: 4437–4440. and
- Human tau in an ultradian light-dark cycle. J. Biol. Rhythms, 2008, 23: 374–376. and
- MMPI-2 (Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory-2): Manual for Administration and Scoring. University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis, 1989. , , , and
- Daytime naps in darkness phase shift the human circadian rhythms of melatonin and thyrotropin secretion. Am. J. Physiol., 2000, 278: R373–R382. , , and
- The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index: a new instrument for psychiatric practice and research. Psychiatry Res., 1989, 28: 193–213. , , , and
- Sleep deprivation decreases phase-shift responses of circadian rhythms to light in the mouse: role of serotonergic and metabolic signals. Brain Res., 2001, 909: 81–91. , , and
- The human circadian system adapts to prior photic history. J. Physiol., 2011, 5: 1095–1102. , and
- Sex difference in the near-24-hour intrinsic period of the human circadian timing system. PNAS, 2011, 108: 15602–15608. , , et al.
- Daytime sleep propensity after moderate circadian phase shifts induced with bright light exposure. Sleep, 1997, 20: 11–17. and
- Exposure to room light before bedtime suppresses melatonin onset and shortens melatonin duration in humans. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab., 2011, 96: E463–E472. , , et al.
- Quantification of sleepiness: a new approach. Psychophysiology, 1973, 10: 431–436. , , , and
- A self-assessment questionnaire to determine morningness-eveningness in human circadian rhythms. Int. J. Chronobiol, 1976, 4: 97–110. and
- The AASM Manual for the Scoring of Sleep and Associated Events: Rules, Terminology, and Technical Specifications. American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Darien, 2007 (first edition). , , and
- Shifts to and from daylight saving time and incidence of myocardial infarction. N. Engl. J. Med., 2008, 359: 1966–1968. and
- The human circadian clock’s seasonal adjustment is disrupted by daylight saving time. Curr. Biol., 2007, 17: 1996–2000. , , and
- A phase response curve to single bright light pulses in human subjects. J. Physiol., 2003, 3: 945–952. , , and
- Trends in the prevalence of short sleepers in the USA: 1975–2006. Sleep, 2010, 33: 37–45. , , , and
- Depression scores associate with chronotype and social jetlag in a rural population. Chronobiol. Int., 2011, 28: 771–778. , , et al.
- The endogenous melatonin profile as a marker for circadian phase position. J. Biol. Rhythms, 1999, 14: 227–236. , and
- Social influences on mammalian circadian rhythms: animal and human studies. Biol. Rev. Camb. Philos. Soc., 2004, 79: 533–556. and
- Sleep deprivation can attenuate light-induced phase shifts of circadian rhythms in hamsters. Neurosci. Lett., 1997, 238: 5–8. , and
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs alter body temperature and suppress melatonin in humans. Physiol. Behav., 1996, 59: 133–139. , and
- National Sleep Foundation. Sleep in America Poll: Summary of Findings . National Sleep Foundation, 2010, Available at: http://www.sleepfoundation.org.
- The spectral composition of evening light and individual differences in the suppression of melatonin and delay of sleep in humans. J. Pineal Res., 2012, 53: 47–59. , , et al.
- Sleeping-in on the weekend delays circadian phase and increases sleepiness the following week. Sleep Biol. Rhythms, 2008, 6: 172–179. , and
- Salivary melatonin as a circadian phase marker: validation and comparison to plasma melatonin. J. Biol. Rhythms, 1997, 12: 457–466. , and
- The effect of a delayed weekend sleep pattern on sleep and morning functioning. Psychol. Health, 2001, 16: 715–725. and
- A single dose of melatonin prevents the phase delay associated with a delayed weekend sleep pattern. Sleep, 2001, 24: 272–281. , , , , and