Bidirectional associations between insomnia symptoms and unhealthy behaviours
Article first published online: 14 SEP 2012
© 2012 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 89–95, February 2013
How to Cite
HAARIO, P., RAHKONEN, O., LAAKSONEN, M., LAHELMA, E. and LALLUKKA, T. (2013), Bidirectional associations between insomnia symptoms and unhealthy behaviours. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 89–95. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2012.01043.x
- Issue published online: 16 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 14 SEP 2012
- Accepted in revised from 11 July 2012; received 29 February 2012
- Drinking habits and prevalence of heavy drinking among primary health-care out-patients and the general population. Addiction, 1999, 94: 1371–1379. , , and
- Compendium of physical activities: an update of activity codes and MET intensities. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., 2000, 32: 498–504. , , et al.
- Association of sleep adequacy with more healthful food choices and positive workplace experiences among motor freight workers. Am. J. Public Health, 2009, 99: 636–643. , , et al.
- Association of sleep disturbance with chronicity and remission of alcohol dependence: data from a population-based prospective study. Alcohol. Clin. Exp. Res., 2004, 28: 1533–1540. , , and
- Validity and reproducibility of a food frequency questionnaire for pregnant Finnish women. Am. J. Epidemiol., 2001, 154: 466–476. , , , , and
- Correlates of insomnia symptoms among men: the Vietnam Era Twin Registry. J. Sleep Res., 1997, 6: 50–56. , and
- Sleep-related disturbances and physical inactivity are independently associated with obesity in adults. Int. J. Obes., 2007, 31: 1713–1721. , , , , and
- The importance of sleep for healthy alcohol consumers and alcohol dependent patients. Nervenatrz, 2004, 75: 431–441 [in German]. , , and
- The Detection of Psychiatric Illness by Questionnaire. Maudsley Monograph no. 21. Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1972.
- The joint association of sleep duration and insomnia symptoms with disability retirement – a longitudinal, register-linked study. Scand. J. Work Environ. Health, 2012, 38: 422–430. , , and
- Combined effects of shift work and life-style on the prevalence of insomnia, sleep deprivation and daytime sleepiness. Scand. J. Work Environ. Health, 1998, 24: 300–307. , , , and
- Changes in healthy food habits after transition to old age retirement. Eur. J. Public Health, 2011, 22: 582–586. , , and
- Insomnia in men – a 10-year prospective population based study. Sleep, 2001, 24: 425–430. , , , and
- A scale for the estimation of insomnia symptoms in clinical research. J. Clin. Epidemiol., 1988, 41: 313–321. , , and
- Associations of insomnia symptoms and recent life events with smoking behaviors among female staff nurses in Japanese hospitals. Ind. Health, 2005, 34: 133–141. , , , and
- Relationship of leisure-time physical activity and mortality. The Finnish twin cohort. JAMA, 1998, 279: 440–444. , , and
- Register-based study among employees showed small nonparticipation bias in health surveys and check-ups. J. Clin. Epidemiol., 2008, 61: 900–906. , , et al.
- Cohort profile: the Helsinki Health Study. Int. J. Epidemiol., 2012. March 31. [Epub ahead of print]. , , , et al.
- Exercise training improve sleep pattern and metabolic profile in elderly people in a time-dependent manner. Lipids Health Dis., 2011, 10: 1–6. , , et al.
- Risk factors for late-life insomnia in a representative general practice sample. Br. J. Gen. Pract., 1997, 47: 166–169. and
- Depressive symptoms and cigarette smoking predict development and persistence of insomnia symptoms in US adolescents. Pediatrics, 2000, 106: E23. , , and
- Cigarette smoking and sleep disturbances. Arch. Intern. Med., 1995, 155: 734–737. and
- Comorbid insomnia: current directions and future challenges. Am. J. Manag. Care, 2009, 15: 6–13.
- Insomnia: epidemiology, characteristics, and consequences. Clin. Cornerstone, 2003, 5: 5–15. and
- Alcohol consumption and body weight: a systematic review. Nutr. Rev., 2011, 69: 419–431. , and
- Changes in socio-economic differences in food habits over time. Public Health Nutr., 2011, 14: 1919–1926. , , and
- Association of physical activity and human sleep disorders. Arch. Intern. Med., 1998, 158: 1894–1898. , and
- Disturbed sleep and its relationship to alcohol use. Subst. Abuse, 2005, 26: 1–13. and
- Health-related quality of life and health risk behaviors among smokers. Am. J. Prev. Med., 2005, 28: 182–187. , , et al.
- A study of the impact of occupational and domestic factors on insomnia among industrial workers of a manufacturing company in Japan. Occup. Med., 1996, 46: 221–227. , , , , and
- The Finnish Current Care Guideline. Treatment of alcohol abuse. Working group appointed by the Finnish Society of Addiction Medicine, Duodecim, 2011. Available at: http://www.kaypahoito.fi/web/kh/suositukset/naytaartikkeli/tunnut/hoi50028 (accessed 15 April 2010).
- The National Nutrition Council.Finnish Nutrition Recommendations – Integrating Nutrition and Physical Activity. Edita Publishing Oy, Helsinki, Finland, 2005 [in Finnish and Swedish].
- Morbidity associated with sleep disorders in primary care: a longitudinal cohort study. Prim. Care Companion J. Clin. Psychiatry, 2007, 9: 338–345. , , , and
- World Health Organization (WHO). Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic. Report of a WHO consultation. World Health Organ. Tech. Rep. Ser., 2000, 894: 1–253.