T.B.J.K. and C.-T.L. Contributed equally to this paper.
Unstable sleep and higher sympathetic activity during late-sleep periods of rats: implication for late-sleep-related higher cardiovascular events
Version of Record online: 10 SEP 2012
© 2012 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 108–118, February 2013
How to Cite
KUO, T. B. J., LAI, C.-T., CHEN, C.-Y., LEE, G.-S. and YANG, C. C. H. (2013), Unstable sleep and higher sympathetic activity during late-sleep periods of rats: implication for late-sleep-related higher cardiovascular events. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 108–118. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2012.01046.x
- Issue online: 16 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 10 SEP 2012
- Accepted in revised form 22 July 2012; received 9 January 2012
- Short light-dark cycles influence sleep stages and EEG power spectra in the rat. Behav. Brain Res., 1991, 43: 125–131. , , and
- Circadian variation in the frequency of ischemic stroke. Stroke, 1990, 21: 387–389. , , et al.
- Cerebrovascular response to arousal from NREM and REM sleep. Sleep, 2008, 31: 321–327. , , et al.
- Central and baroreflex control of heart period during the wake-sleep cycle in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Am. J. Physiol. Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol., 2007, 293: R293–R298. , , et al.
- EEG power densities (0.5-20 Hz) in different sleep-wake stages in rats. Physiol. Behav., 1998, 63: 413–417. , and
- Dissociation of delta EEG amplitude and incidence in rat NREM sleep. Brain Res. Bull., 1993, 30: 143–147. and
- Acute cardiovascular responses to arousal from non-REM sleep during normoxia and hypoxia. Sleep, 2001, 24: 895–902. , , et al.
- Noninvasive cardiovascular markers of acoustically induced arousal from non-rapid-eye-movement sleep. Sleep, 2002, 25: 797–804. , , , and
- Locomotion-induced hippocampal theta is independent of visual information in rats during movement through a pipe. Behav. Brain Res., 2011, 216: 699–704. , , and
- Differential effects of waking from non-rapid eye movement versus rapid eye movement sleep on cardiovascular activity. J. Sleep Res., 2010, 19: 201–206. , , , and
- Sinus arrest during REM sleep in young adults. N. Engl. J. Med., 1984, 311: 1006–1010. , , and
- Endogenous circadian rhythm in vasovagal response to head-up tilt. Circulation, 2011, 123: 961–970. , , , and
- Baroreflex buffering of sympathetic activation during sleep: evidence from autonomic assessment of sleep macroarchitecture and microarchitecture. Hypertension, 2004, 43: 814–819. , , et al.
- Morning blood pressure surge and hypertensive cerebrovascular disease: role of the alpha adrenergic sympathetic nervous system. Am. J. Hypertens, 2004, 17: 668–675. , , et al.
- Experimentally induced arousals during sleep: a cross-modality matching paradigm. J. Sleep Res., 2004, 13: 229–238. , and
- Diurnal blood pressure variation and related behavioral factors. Hypertens. Res., 2011, 34: 281–285.
- Effects of the selective alpha 1-adrenoceptor blocker prazosin on EEG sleep and waking stages in the rat. Neuropsychobiology, 1989, 21: 100–103.
- Sleep-related changes in cardiovascular neural regulation in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Circulation, 2005, 112: 849–854. and
- Effect of aging on gender differences in neural control of heart rate. Am. J. Physiol., 1999, 277: H2233–H2239. , , et al.
- Regression analysis between heart rate variability and baroreflex-related vagus nerve activity in rats. J. Cardiovasc. Electrophysiol., 2005, 16: 864–869. , , and
- Asymmetry in sympathetic and vagal activities during sleep-wake transitions. Sleep, 2008, 31: 311–320. , , and
- Sleep disturbance among spontaneously hypertensive rats is mediated by an α1-adrenergic mechanism. Am. J. Hypertension, 2012, in press. , , et al.
- Sleep-related changes in baroreflex sensitivity and cardiovascular autonomic modulation. J. Hypertens, 2003, 21: 1555–1561. , , et al.
- Prognostic value of the morning blood pressure surge in 5645 subjects from 8 populations. Hypertension, 2010, 55: 1040–1048. , , et al.
- Relationship between renal sympathetic nerve activity and arterial pressure during REM sleep in rats. Am. J. Physiol. Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol., 2003, 284: R467–R473. , and
- Circadian variation in the frequency of onset of acute myocardial infarction. N. Engl. J. Med., 1985, 313: 1315–1322. , , et al.
- The alpha2-adrenoceptor agonist dexmedetomidine converges on an endogenous sleep-promoting pathway to exert its sedative effects. Anesthesiology, 2003, 98: 428–436. , , et al.
- Effects of methoxamine and alpha-adrenoceptor antagonists, prazosin and yohimbine, on the sleep-wake cycle of the rat. Sleep, 1984, 7: 365–372. , , et al.
- Variations in slow wave activity during sleep in the rat. Physiol. Behav., 1976, 17: 931–938. , and
- Sleep state switching. Neuron, 2010, 68: 1023–1042. , , , and
- Adverse metabolic and cardiovascular consequences of circadian misalignment. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 2009, 106: 4453–4458. , , and
- Central and baroreflex control of heart period during the wake-sleep cycle in consomic rats with different genetic susceptibility to hypertension. Clin. Exp. Pharmacol. Physiol., 2010, 37: 322–327. , , et al.
- Role of sleep-wake cycle on blood pressure circadian rhythms and hypertension. Sleep Med., 2007, 8: 668–680. , , and
- Sympathetic-nerve activity during sleep in normal subjects. N. Engl. J. Med., 1993, 328: 303–307. , , and
- Task Force of the European Society of Cardiology and the North American Society of Pacing, ElectrophysiologyHeart rate variability: standards of measurement, physiological interpretation and clinical use. Circulation, 1996, 93: 1043–1065.
- Sigma (12–15 Hz) and delta (0.3–3 Hz) EEG oscillate reciprocally within NREM sleep. Brain Res. Bull., 1991, 27: 93–96. , , , and
- Sleep and cardiovascular disease. Curr. Probl. Cardiol., 2005, 30: 625–662. , , and
- Auto- and cross-spectral analysis of cardiovascular fluctuations during pentobarbital anesthesia in the rat. Am. J. Physiol., 1996, 270: H575–H582. , and
- Relationship between electroencephalogram slow-wave magnitude and heart rate variability during sleep in humans. Neurosci. Lett., 2002, 329: 213–216. , , and
- Functional role of diverse changes in sympathetic nerve activity in regulating arterial pressure during REM sleep. Sleep, 2011, 34: 1093–1101. , and
- Central and baroreflex control of heart rate during the wake-sleep cycle in rat. Sleep, 2001, 24: 753–758. , , et al.