Children and adolescents
Sleep patterns in children with ADHD: a population-based cohort study from birth to 11 years
Article first published online: 12 OCT 2012
© 2012 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 2, pages 121–128, April 2013
How to Cite
Scott, N., Blair, P. S., Emond, A. M., Fleming, P. J., Humphreys, J. S., Henderson, J. and Gringras, P. (2013), Sleep patterns in children with ADHD: a population-based cohort study from birth to 11 years. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 121–128. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2012.01054.x
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 12 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 11 APR 2012
- UK Medical Research Council. Grant Number: 74882
- Wellcome Trust. Grant Number: 076467
- Guy's and St Thomas' Charity. Grant Number: S091017
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th edn. American Psychiatric Association Publishing, Washington, DC, 2000.
- Childhood sleep duration and associated demographic characteristics in an English cohort. Sleep, 2012, 35: 353–360. , , , et al.
- Sleep disturbance in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry, 1998, 37: 637–646. , and
- Sleep problems in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: impact of subtype, comorbidity, and stimulant medication. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry, 1999, 38: 1285–1293. , , , and
- A framework for assessment and treatment of sleep problems in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Pediatr. Clin. North Am., 2011, 53: 667–683. , and
- Restless legs syndrome and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a review of the literature. Sleep, 2005, 28: 1007–1013. , , , et al.
- Sleep and alertness in children with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a systematic review of the literature. Sleep, 2006, 29: 504–511. , , , and
- Sleep in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: meta-analysis of subjective and objective studies. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry, 2009, 48: 894–908. , , and
- Sleep problems in children with neurological disorders. Dev. Neurorehabil., 2008, 11: 95–114. , , , and
- Psychiatric, neuropsychological, and psychosocial features of DSM-IV subtypes of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: results from a clinically referred sample. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry, 1998, 37: 185–193. , , and
- The British Child and Adolescent Mental Health Survey 1999: the Prevalence of DSM-IV Disorders. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry, 2003, 42: 10. , and
- The Development and Well-Being Assessment: description and initial validation of an integrated assessment of child and adolescent psychopathology. J. Child Psychol. Psychiatry, 2000, 41: 645–655. , , , and
- Are students with ADHD more stressful to teach? Patterns of teacher stress in an elementary school sample. J. Emot. Behav. Disord., 2002, 10: 79–89. , , , and
- ADHD and sleep disorders. In: E. A. Taylor (Ed.) People with Hyperactivity: Understanding and Managing Their Problems. MacKeith Press, London, 2007: 160–169. , and
- Associations between problems with crying, sleeping and/or feeding in infancy and long-term behavioural outcomes in childhood: a meta-analysis. Arch. Dis. Child., 2011, 96: 622–629. , and
- Long-term sleep disturbance in children: a cause of neuronal loss. Eur. J. Neurol., 2010, 14: 380–390. , , , , and
- Anxiety and depression disorders in attention deficit disorder with hyperactivity: new findings. Am. J. Psychiatry, 1993, 150: 1203–1209. , , and
- Restless legs syndrome and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Ann. Neurol., 2005, 58: 341–342. and
- High levels of nocturnal activity in children with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: a video analysis. Psychiatry Clin. Neurosci., 2001, 55: 97–103. , , and
- Sleep and ADHD. Sleep Med., 2010, 11: 652–658. , and
- ADHD subtypes and comorbid anxiety, depression, and oppositional-defiant disorder: differences in sleep problems. J. Pediatr. Psychol., 2009, 34: 328–337. , , , et al.
- Office of Population Censuses and Surveys. Classification of Occupations 1980. Her Majesty's Stationery Office, Crown Copyright, 1980.
- Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology. Treating problem behaviour in children. POST Tech. Rep., 1997, 92: 1–8.
- Sleep in children with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: a meta-analysis of polysomnographic studies. Sleep Med. Rev., 2006, 10: 381–398. , and
- Severe sleep problems in infancy associated with subsequent development of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder at 5.5 years of age. Acta Paediatr., 2002, 91: 584–592.
- Associations between sleep duration patterns and behavioural/cognitive functioning at school entry. Sleep, 2007, 30: 1213–1219. , , , , and
- Sleep hygiene and actigraphically evaluated sleep characteristics in children with ADHD and chronic sleep onset insomnia. J. Sleep Res., 2006, 15: 55–62. , and
- Psychiatric comorbidity and functioning in clinically referred preschool children and school-age youths with ADHD. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry, 2002, 41: 262–268. , , , et al.
- World Health Organisation. ICD-10 Classifications of Mental and Behavioural Disorder: Clinical Descriptions and Diagnostic Guidelines. World Health Organisation, Geneva, 1992.