Obstructive sleep apnea
The joint contribution of insomnia and obstructive sleep apnoea on sickness absence
Version of Record online: 9 OCT 2012
© 2012 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 2, pages 223–230, April 2013
How to Cite
Sivertsen, B., Björnsdóttir, E., Øverland, S., Bjorvatn, B. and Salo, P. (2013), The joint contribution of insomnia and obstructive sleep apnoea on sickness absence. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 223–230. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2012.01055.x
- Issue online: 18 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 9 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 30 MAY 2012
- Calculating measures of biological interaction. Eur. J. Epidemiol., 2005, 20: 575–579. , , , and
- Comorbidity between sleep apnea and insomnia. Sleep Med. Rev., 2009, 13: 287–293. , and
- Insomnia in untreated sleep apnea patients compared to controls. J. Sleep Res., 2012, 21: 131–138. , , et al.
- Relative validity of self-reported snoring as a symptom of sleep apnea in a sleep clinic population. Chest, 1991, 99: 600–608. , and
- Epidemiology of obstructive sleep apnea. Epidemiol. Rev., 1994, 16: 210–227. , and
- Derivation of research diagnostic criteria for insomnia: report of an American Academy of Sleep Medicine Work Group. Sleep, 2004, 27: 1567–1596. , , et al.
- Work factors as predictors of sickness absence: a three month prospective study of nurses' aides. Occup. Environ. Med., 2003, 60: 271–278. , and
- Impact of self-reported sleep-breathing disturbances on psychosocial performance in the Swedish Obese Subjects (SOS) Study. Sleep, 1995, 18: 635–643. , , and
- The economic cost of sleep disorders. Sleep, 2006, 29: 299–305. , , and
- Husk Research Center [Analyses of non-responder in the HUSK study], 2004. Available at: http://www.uib.no/isf/husk/Vedlegg_dokumenter/FrafallsanalyseHUSK9799.pdf (accessed 20 May, 2012).
- Identifying sleep apnea from self-reports. Sleep, 1988, 11: 430–436. , , and
- The psychometric properties of the Karolinska Sleep Questionnaire. J. Sleep Res., 1992, 1: 113. and
- Prevalence of insomnia symptoms in patients with sleep-disordered breathing. Chest, 2001, 120: 1923–1929. , , et al.
- Prevalence of sleep-disordered breathing in ages 40–64 years: a population-based survey. Sleep, 1997, 20: 65–76. , , , , and
- Sleep problems and disability retirement: a register-based follow-up study. Am. J. Epidemiol., 2011, 173: 871–881. , , and
- Impact of sleep apnea on economics. Sleep Med. Rev., 2012, 16: 455–462. , , and
- Comorbid insomnia and obstructive sleep apnea: challenges for clinical practice and research. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2010, 6: 196–204. , and
- Prevalence of DSM-IV diagnostic criteria of insomnia: distinguishing insomnia related to mental disorders from sleep disorders. J. Psychiatr. Res., 1997, 31: 333–346.
- Snoring and breathing pauses during sleep: telephone interview survey of a United Kingdom population sample. BMJ, 1997, 314: 860–863. , , and
- A comparison of insomnia and depression as predictors of disability pension: the HUNT Study. Sleep, 2008, 31: 875–880. , , et al.
- Epidemiology of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Curr. Opin. Pulm. Med., 1995, 1: 482–487.
- Sleep disturbances as a predictor of cause-specific work disability and delayed return to work. Sleep, 2010, 33: 1323–1331. , , et al.
- Effects of sleep deprivation and sleep fragmentation on upper airway collapsibility in normal subjects. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 1994, 150: 481–485. , and
- The long-term effect of insomnia on work disability: the HUNT-2 historical cohort study. Am. J. Epidemiol., 2006, 163: 1018–1024. , , et al.
- The effect of OSAS on sick leave and work disability. Eur. Respir. J., 2008, 32: 1497–1503. , , , , and
- Does insomnia predict sick leave? The Hordaland Health Study J. Psychosom. Res., 2009a, 66: 67–74. , , , and
- Insomnia and long sleep duration are risk factors for later work disability. The Hordaland Health Study. J. Sleep Res., 2009b, 18: 122–128. , , et al.
- Obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome as a predictor of work disability. Respir. Med., 2009, 103: 1047–1055. , , et al.
- Frequency of insomnia report in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea hypopnea syndrome (OSAHS). Sleep Med., 2004, 5: 449–456. , , and
- The occurrence of sleep-disordered breathing among middle-aged adults. N. Engl. J. Med., 1993, 328: 1230–1235. , , , , and
- The hospital anxiety and depression scale. Acta Psychiatr. Scand., 1983, 67: 361–370. and