Sleep stabilizes visuomotor adaptation memory: a functional magnetic resonance imaging study
Article first published online: 3 NOV 2012
© 2012 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 2, pages 144–154, April 2013
How to Cite
Albouy, G., Vandewalle, G., Sterpenich, V., Rauchs, G., Desseilles, M., Balteau, E., Degueldre, C., Phillips, C., Luxen, A. and Maquet, P. (2013), Sleep stabilizes visuomotor adaptation memory: a functional magnetic resonance imaging study. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 144–154. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2012.01059.x
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 3 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 27 APR 2012
- Both the hippocampus and striatum are involved in consolidation of motor sequence memory. Neuron, 2008, 58: 261–272. , , et al.
- Neural correlates of performance variability during motor sequence acquisition. Neuroimage, 2012, 60: 324–331. , , et al.
- Sleep deprivation. In: M. H. Kryger, T. Roth and W. C. Dement (Eds), Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine. W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia, 2000: 53–71.
- Consolidation in human motor memory. Nature, 1996, 382: 252–255. , and
- The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index: a new instrument for psychiatric practice and research. Psychiatry Res., 1989, 28: 193–213. , , , and
- Neuroimaging studies of practice-related change: fMRI and meta-analytic evidence of a domain-general control network for learning. Brain Res. Cogn. Brain Res., 2005, 25: 607–623. and
- Neural precursors of delayed insight. J. Cogn. Neurosci., 2011, 23: 1900–1910. , , et al.
- Brain plasticity related to the consolidation of motor sequence learning and motor adaptation. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 2010, 107: 17839–17844. , , et al.
- Mechanisms influencing acquisition and recall of motor memories. J. Neurophysiol., 2002, 88: 2114–2123. , , , and
- Reorganization and plasticity in the adult brain during learning of motor skills. Curr. Opin. Neurobiol., 2005, 15: 161–167. and
- Distinct contribution of the cortico–striatal and cortico–cerebellar systems to motor skill learning. Neuropsychologia, 2003, 41: 252–262. , and
- Contribution of night and day sleep vs. simple passage of time to the consolidation of motor sequence and visuomotor adaptation learning. Exp. Brain Res., 2009, 195: 15–16. , , et al.
- Motor memory consolidation in sleep shapes more effective neuronal representations. J. Neurosci., 2005, 25: 11248–11255. , , , and
- Functional magnetic resonance imagning of cerebellar activation during the learning of a visuomotor dissociation task. Hum. Brain Mapp., 1996, 4: 210–226. , , , and
- Changing brain networks for visuomotor control with increased movement automaticity. J. Neurophysiol., 2004, 92: 2405–2412. and
- Sex and modulatory menstrual cycle effects on sleep related memory consolidation. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 2012, 37: 987–998. , , et al.
- Learning-related fMRI activation associated with a rotational visuo-motor transformation. Brain Res. Cogn. Brain Res., 2005, 22: 373–383. , , , and
- Sleep improves the variability of motor performance. Brain Res. Bull., 2008, 76: 605–611. , and
- Rethinking motor learning and savings in adaptation paradigms: model-free memory for successful actions combines with internal models. Neuron, 2011, 70: 787–801. , , and
- Local sleep and learning. Nature, 2004, 430: 78–81. , , and
- Human cerebellar activity reflecting an acquired internal model of a new tool. Nature, 2000, 403: 192–195. , , et al.
- Multiple shifts in the representation of a motor sequence during the acquisition of skilled performance. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 2003, 100: 12492–12497. , , and
- Motor learning and consolidation: the case of visuomotor rotation. Adv. Exp. Med. Biol., 2009, 629: 405–421.
- Adaptation to visuomotor transformations: consolidation, interference, and forgetting. J. Neurosci., 2005, 25: 473–478. , and
- Long-term adaptation to dynamics of reaching movements: a PET study. Exp. Brain Res., 2001, 140: 66–76. , and
- The assessment and analysis of handedness: the Edinburgh inventory. Neuropsychologia, 1971, 9: 97–113.
- Bilateral basal ganglia activation associated with sensorimotor adaptation. Exp. Brain Res., 2006, 175: 544–555. , and
- Functional stages in the formation of human long-term motor memory. J. Neurosci., 1997, 17: 409–419. and
- Distinct consolidation outcomes in a visuomotor adaptation task: off-line leaning and persistent after-effect. Brain Cogn., 2010, 73: 135–145. and
- A refined model of sleep and the time course of memory formation. Behav. Brain Sci., 2005, 28: 51–64; discussion 64–104.