Polysomnographic study of nocturnal sleep in idiopathic hypersomnia without long sleep time
Article first published online: 15 OCT 2012
© 2012 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 2, pages 185–196, April 2013
How to Cite
Pizza, F., Ferri, R., Poli, F., Vandi, S., Cosentino, F. I. I. and Plazzi, G. (2013), Polysomnographic study of nocturnal sleep in idiopathic hypersomnia without long sleep time. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 185–196. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2012.01061.x
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 15 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 4 AUG 2011
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine. ICSD - International classification of sleep disorders, revised: Diagnostic and coding manual. American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, 2001.
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine, eds. International Classification of Sleep Disorders, 2nd edn. Diagnostic and Coding Manual. American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Westchester, Illinois, 2005.
- Idiopathic hypersomnia: a study of 77 cases. Sleep, 2007, 30: 1274–1281. , , , and
- Comparative polysomnographic study of narcolepsy and idiopathic central nervous system hypersomnia. Sleep, 1986, 9: 232–242. , , and
- Idiopathic hypersomnia. A series of 42 patients. Brain, 1997, 120: 1423–1435. and
- Clinico-polygraphic considerations on essential ‘slow sleep’ narcolepsy. Sist. Nerv., 1967, 19: 81–89. , , and
- Diagnosis of narcolepsy and idiopathic hypersomnia. An update based on the International classification of sleep disorders, 2nd edition. Sleep Med. Rev., 2007, 11: 377–388.
- Idiopathic hypersomnia. Psychiatry Clin. Neurosci., 1998, 52: 125–129. , , , , and
- A two process model of sleep regulation. Hum. Neurobiol., 1982, 1: 195–204.
- All-night EEG power spectral analysis of the cyclic alternating pattern at different ages. Clin. Neurophysiol., 2009, 120: 248–256. , , et al.
- The nature of the narcoleptic sleep attack. Neurology, 1966, 16: 18–33. , and
- All-night EEG power spectral analysis of the cyclic alternating pattern components in young adult subjects. Clin. Neurophysiol., 2005a, 116: 2429–2440. , , , and
- Topographic mapping of the spectral components of the cyclic alternating pattern (CAP). Sleep Med., 2005b, 6: 29–36. , , and
- NREM sleep alterations in narcolepsy/cataplexy. Clin. Neurophysiol., 2005c, 116: 2675–2684. , , et al.
- New approaches to the study of periodic leg movements during sleep in restless legs syndrome. Sleep, 2006a, 29: 759–769. , , , , and
- Different periodicity and time structure of leg movements during sleep in narcolepsy/cataplexy and restless legs syndrome. Sleep, 2006b, 29: 1587–1594. , , et al.
- Searching for a marker of REM sleep behavior disorder: submentalis muscle EMG amplitude analysis during sleep in patients with narcolepsy/cataplexy. Sleep, 2008a, 31: 1409–1417. , , et al.
- The slow-wave components of the cyclic alternating pattern (CAP) have a role in sleep-related learning processes. Neurosci. Lett., 2008b, 432: 228–231. , , et al.
- Improved computation of the atonia index in normal controls and patients with REM sleep behavior disorder. Sleep Med., 2010, 11: 947–949. , , et al.
- Insufficient non-REM sleep intensity in narcolepsy-cataplexy. Sleep, 2007, 30: 980–989. , , , , , and
- Benefit and risk of modafinil in idiopathic hypersomnia versus narcolepsy with cataplexy. Sleep Med., 2011, 12: 550–556. , , et al.
- Practice parameters for clinical use of the multiple sleep latency test and the maintenance of wakefulness test. Sleep, 2005, 28: 113–121. , , et al.
- Dynamics of slow wave activity in narcoleptic patients under bed rest conditions. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1995, 95: 414–425. , , , , and
- Cyclic alternating pattern (CAP): the marker of sleep instability. Sleep Med. Rev., 2012, 16: 27–45. , , and
- Cyclic alternating pattern in narcolepsy patients and healthy controls after partial and total sleep deprivation. Clin. Neurophysiol., 2011, 122: 1788–1793. , , , and
- Numerical recipes. The art of scientific computing. Press Syndicate of the University of Cambridge, Cambridge, 1989. , , and
- A Manual of Standardized Terminology, Techniques, and Scoring System for Sleep Stages of Human Subjects. Washington Public Health service, US Government Printing Office, Washington, 1968. and , eds.
- Idiopathic hypersomnia: a study of 187 personally observed cases. Int. J. Neurol., 1981, 15: 108–118.
- Hypersomnia with ‘sleep drunkenness’. Arch. Gen. Psychiarty., 1972, 26: 456–462. , and
- Homeostatic sleep regulation in patients with idiopathic hypersomnia. Clin. Neurophysiol., 2000, 111: 277–282. , , and
- Differences in findings of nocturnal polysomnography and multiple sleep latency test between narcolepsy and idiopathic hypersomnia. Clin. Neurophysiol., 2012, 123: 137–141. , , et al.
- Evaluation of EEG cyclic alternating pattern during sleep in insomniacs and controls under placebo and acute treatment with zolpidem. Sleep, 1992, 15: 64–70. and
- Atlas, rules, and recording techniques for the scoring of cyclic alternating pattern (CAP) in human sleep. Sleep Med., 2001, 2: 537–553. , , et al.
- Cyclic alternating pattern (CAP) alterations in narcolepsy. Sleep Med., 2006, 7: 619–626. , , , , and
- Increased REM density in narcolepsy-cataplexy and the polysymptomatic form of idiopathic hypersomnia. Sleep, 2001, 24: 707–711. , , , and
- Idiopathic hypersomnia with and without long sleep time: a controlled series of 75 patients. Sleep, 2009, 32: 753–759. and
- Italian version of the Epworth sleepiness scale: external validity. Neurol. Sci., 2003, 23: 295–300. , and