This paper presents the summary findings and conclusions from the Hepatitis B and C Summit Conference, held in Brussels in October 2010.
The state of hepatitis B and C in Europe: report from the hepatitis B and C summit conference*
Article first published online: 9 AUG 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Journal of Viral Hepatitis
Special Issue: The State of Hepatitis B and C in Europe: Report from the Hepatitis B and C Summit Conference. The writing of this supplement was kindly supported by Bristol Myers Squibb, Gilead Sciences, GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals, Merck and Janssen
Volume 18, Issue Supplement s1, pages 1–16, September 2011
How to Cite
Hatzakis, A., Wait, S., Bruix, J., Buti, M., Carballo, M., Cavaleri, M., Colombo, M., Delarocque-Astagneau, E., Dusheiko, G., Esmat, G., Esteban, R., Goldberg, D., Gore, C., Lok, A. S. F., Manns, M., Marcellin, P., Papatheodoridis, G., Peterle, A., Prati, D., Piorkowsky, N., Rizzetto, M., Roudot-Thoraval, F., Soriano, V., Thomas, H. C., Thursz, M., Valla, D., van Damme, P., Veldhuijzen, I. K., Wedemeyer, H., Wiessing, L., Zanetti, A. R. and Janssen, H. L. A. (2011), The state of hepatitis B and C in Europe: report from the hepatitis B and C summit conference. Journal of Viral Hepatitis, 18: 1–16. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2893.2011.01499.x
- Issue published online: 9 AUG 2011
- Article first published online: 9 AUG 2011
- 1The global burden of disease of viral hepatitis. Viral Hepat 2011; 19: 9–10..
- 3WHO. Hepatitis B fact sheet no. 204, 2009. Available at: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs204/en/. (Accessed on 12 July 2011).
- 4European Liver Patients Association (ELPA). Report on hepatitis patient self-help in Europe. Available at: http://www.hepsummit2010.org (Accessed on 11 July 2011).
- 5Institute of Medicine. Hepatitis and Liver Cancer: A National Strategy for Prevention and Control of Hepatitis B and C. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, 2010.
- 6European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC). Surveillance and prevention of hepatitis B and C in Europe. ECDC technical report, Stockholm, October 2010.
- 7European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC). Hepatitis B and C in the EU neighbourhood: prevalence, burden of disease and screening policies. ECDC technical report, Stockholm, September 2010.
- 24World Health Organization global advisory committee on vaccine safety: Response to the paper by MA Hernan and others in Neurology 14th September 2004 issue entitled “Recombinant hepatitis B vaccine and the risk of multiple sclerosis”. Available at: http://www.who.int/vaccine_safety/topics/hepatitisb/multiple_sclerosis/sep_04/en/ (Accessed 11 July 2011).
- 33Viral hepatitis prevention Board. Identification and management of persons with chronic viral hepatitis in Europe, Budapest, March 2010. Viral Hepat 2011; 1(19): 1–40. Available at: http://www.vhpb.org.
- 39European Association for the Study of the Liver. EASL clinical practice guidelines: management of hepatitis C virus infection. J Hepatol 2011; 55: 245–64.
- 46International centre for migration, health and development. Migration, hepatitis B and C, September 2010. Available at: http://www.hepsummit2010.org., , .
- 49The process of social insertion of migrants, refugees and asylum seekers in the context of access to and use of health and social services. Synthesis and recommendations. ICMH/Synthese Geneva report 2004..
- 50European monitoring of notifications of hepatitis C virus infection in the general population and among injecting drug users (IDUs) – the need to improve quality and comparability. Eurosurveillance 2008; 13(21): 1–5., , , , , .
- 52EMCDDA publishes guidelines on testing for HIV, viral hepatitis and other infections in injecting drug users. Euro Surveill 2010;15(48): pii=19735. Available at: http://www.eurosurveillance.org/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleId=19735 (Accessed 11 July 2011), .
- 57EMA. Guideline: clinical evaluation of medicinal products intended for treatment of hepatitis B, 2006. adopted February 2006.
- 58EMA. Guideline: clinical evaluation of direct acting antiviral agents intended for treatment of chronic hepatitis C, 2009. adopted May 2009.
- 59Hepatitis C Surveillance System Committee; Scientific Committee for the National Prevalence Survey of Hepatitis B and C Markers. Hepatitis C Surveillance System Committee; Scientific Committee for the National Prevalence Survey of Hepatitis B and C Markers. The impact of the prevention programme of hepatitis C over more than a decade: the French experience. J Viral Hepat 2010; 17(6): 435–443., , et al. ,