Social accountability and accreditation: a new frontier for educational institutions
Article first published online: 20 AUG 2009
© Blackwell Publishing Ltd 2009
Volume 43, Issue 9, pages 887–894, September 2009
How to Cite
Boelen, C. and Woollard, B. (2009), Social accountability and accreditation: a new frontier for educational institutions. Medical Education, 43: 887–894. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2923.2009.03413.x
- Issue published online: 20 AUG 2009
- Article first published online: 20 AUG 2009
- Received 1 January 2009; accepted for publication 16 April 2009
- 2Joint Learning Initiative. Human Resources for Health: Overcoming the Crisis. Cambridge, MA: President and Fellows of Harvard College 2004.
- 3Defining and measuring the social accountability of medical schools. Geneva: World Health Organization 1995. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/1995/WHO_HRH_95.7_fre.pdf. [Accessed 15 November 2008.], .
- 4Towards unity for health: challenges and opportunities for partnership in health development. Geneva: World Health Organization 2000. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2000/WHO_EIP_OSD_2000.9.pdf. [Accessed 15 November 2008.].
- 5Complexity: the Emerging Science at the Edge of Order and Chaos. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster 1992..
- 6Small-group problem-based learning as a complex adaptive system. Teach Teacher Educ 2007;23:303–13..
- 7Complicated and complex systems: what would successful reform of Medicare look like? Commission on the Future of Health Care in Canada Discussion Paper No. 8, Government of Canada, July 2002., .
- 8World Health Organization. Doctors for Health. Doctors for Health. A WHO global strategy for reorienting medical education and medical practice for Health for All. Geneva: WHO 1996 (WHO/HRH/96.1).
- 9General Medical Council. Tomorrow’s Doctors: Recommendations on Undergraduate Medical Education. London: GMC 2003. http://www.gmc-uk.org/education/undergraduate/tomdoc.pdf. [Accessed 15 November 2008.]
- 10FrankJR, ed. The CanMEDS 2005 Physician Competency Framework. Better Physicians. Better Care. Ottawa, ON: Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada 2005. http://crmcc.medical.org/canmeds/canMEDS2005/index.php. [Accessed 15 November 2008.]
- 11American Board of Internal Medicine Foundation, American College of Physicians Foundation, European Federation of Internal Medicine. Medical Professionalism in the New Millennium. A Physician Charter. Ann Intern Med 2002;163:243–6.
- 12Medical education in the United States and Canada. A report to the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. New York, NY: Carnegie Foundation (Bulletin No. 4) 1910..
- 14Liaison Committee on Medical Education. Functions and structure of a medical school. Standards for accreditation of medical education programmes leading to the MD degree. 2008. http://www.lcme.org/functions2008jun.pdf. [Accessed 15 November 2008.]
- 17Towards the assessment of quality in medical education. Geneva: World Health Organization 1992 (WHO/HRH/92.7)., , , , .
- 18GastelB, WilsonMP, BoelenC, eds. Toward a global consensus on the quality of medical education: serving the needs of populations and individuals. Proceedings of the 1994 WHO/Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates Invitational Conference, Geneva, 3–4 October 1994. Acad Med 1995;70 (Suppl 7):1–90.
- 19World Health Organization Network towards Unity for Health. The Network towards Unity for Health. http://www.the-networktufh.org. [Accessed 15 November 2008.]
- 20Conférence Internationale des Doyens de Facultés de Médecine d’Expression Française. Politique et méthodologie d’évaluation des facultés de médecine et des programmes d’études médicales. Bordeaux: CIDMEF 2006. http://www.cidmef.u-bordeaux2.fr. [Accessed 15 November 2008.]
- 21Société Internationale Francophone d’Education Médicale. Facultés de médecine et besoins de santé. Vers de nouvelles normes d’évaluation/accréditation. Grenoble, France: SIFEM 2007. http://www.sifem.net/SanteSociete.php. [Accessed 15 November 2008.]
- 22Foundation for the Advancement of International Medical Education and Research. Improving world health through education. Philadelphia, USA: FAIMER. http://www.faimer.org. [Accessed 15 November 2008.]
- 23World Health Organization. Global Health Workforce Alliance. Strategic Plan. Geneva: WHO 2006. http://www.who.int/workforcealliance. [Accessed 15 November 2008.]
- 24United Nations. Millennium Development Goals. http://www.un.org/milleniumgoals/index.shtml. [Accessed 15 November 2008.]