Global Policy and Programme Guidance on Maternal Nutrition: What Exists, the Mechanisms for Providing It, and How to Improve Them?
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology
Special Issue: Improving maternal, newborn, and child health outcomes through better designed policies and programs that enhance the nutrition of women
Volume 26, Issue Supplement s1, pages 315–325, July 2012
How to Cite
Shrimpton, R. (2012), Global Policy and Programme Guidance on Maternal Nutrition: What Exists, the Mechanisms for Providing It, and How to Improve Them?. Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology, 26: 315–325. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3016.2012.01279.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2012
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2012
- 1UNSCN. 6th Report on the World Nutrition Situation. Geneva: UNSCN, 2010.
- 7Maternal, infant, and young child nutrition: combining efforts to maximize impacts on child growth and micronutrient status. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 2009; 30 (2 Suppl):S187–S189., .
- 9Intrauterine growth retardation, body size, body composition and physical performance in adolescence. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1998; 52 (Suppl 1):S43–S52., , , , .
- 14US Approaches to Food and Nutrition Rights, 1976–2008. World Hunger Notes: Why are people Hungry. Washington, DC: World Hunger Education Service, 2009., .
- 15United Nations. United Nations Millennium Declaration. Resolution 55/2, adopted by the General Assembly 8th plenary meeting. New York: United Nations, 2000.
- 16United Nations. The Millennium Development Goals Report 2010. New York: United Nations, 2010.
- 17United Nations. A World Fit for Children: Resolution Adopted by the General Assembly at the Twenty-Seventh Special Session. New York: United Nations, 2002.
- 18Codex Alimentarius Commission. FAO/WHO Food Standards: About CODEX. Rome: FAO, 2009.
- 19WHO/UNICEF. The Global Strategy for Infant and Young-Child Feeding. WHA 55.25. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2002.
- 20WHO. Global Strategy for the Prevention and Control of Non-Communicable Disease. WHA 53.14. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2000.
- 21WHO. Global Strategy on Diet, Physical Activity and Health. WHA57.17. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2004.
- 22UNICEF Nutrition Portfolio Review (1980–1999). Programme Division Policy Discussion Paper. New York: UNICEF, 2002., , , .
- 23WHO. WHO Reproductive Health Strategy to Accelerate Progress Towards the Attainment of International Development Goals and Targets. Global strategy adopted by the 57th World Health Assembly. Geneva: World Health Organization, Department of Reproductive Health and Research, 2006.
- 24WHO. Promoting Optimal Fetal Development: Report of a Technical Consultation. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2006.
- 25WHO. The WHO Reproductive Health Library 2011. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2011. http://apps.who.int/rhl/en/[last accessed June 2011].
- 26Energy and Protein Intake in Pregnancy: RHL Commentary (Last Revised: 31 October 2003). The WHO Reproductive Health Library. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2003..
- 27Effects and Safety of Preventive Oral Iron Or Iron+Folic Acid Supplementation for Women during Pregnancy: RHL Commentary (Last Revised: 1 December 2010). The WHO Reproductive Health Library. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2010., .
- 28Nutrition Essentials: A Guide for Health Managers. WHO/BASICS/UNICEF. Washington, DC: BASICS, 2004., , .
- 29WHO. Recommended Interventions for Improving Maternal and Newborn Health: Integrated Management of Pregnancy and Childbirth. Geneva: World Health Organization, Dept. of Making Pregnancy Safer, 2007. http://www.who.int/making_pregnancy_safer/documents/who_mps_0705/en/index.html[last accessed June 2011].
- 30WHO. WHO Handbook for Guideline Development. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2008.
- 32WHO. Nutritional Anaemias. Technical Report Series No 503. Geneva: World Health Organization, 1972.
- 33Preventing and Controlling Iron Deficiency Anaemia Though Primary Health Care; A Guide for Health Administrators and Programme Managers. Geneva: World Health Organization, 1989., , , , , .
- 34Iron deficiency anaemia. In: Comparative Quantification of Health Risks: Global and Regional Burden of Disease Attributable to Selected Major Risk Factors. Editors: Ezzati M, Lopez A, Rodgers A, Murray CJL. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2004; pp. 163–210., , .
- 36Maternal nutrition during breastfeeding. New Beginnings 2004; 21:44–49..
- 37Maternal malnutrition: what relevance for child survival and development? In: Prenatal and Perinatal Biology and Medicine, Vol. I, Physiology and Growth. Chapter 3. Editors: Kretchmer N, Quilligan EJ, Johnson JD. Chur: Harwood Academic Publishers, 1987; pp. 93–160., .
- 42WHO. Infant and Young Child Nutrition. WHA Resolution 63.23. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2010.
- 43WHO. Maternal, Infant and Young Child Nutrition: Implementation Plan. Report by the Secretariat. 64th WHA A64/22 provisional agenda item 13.13, 24 March 2011. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2011.
- 44Introducing the Policy Brief. ‘Scaling up Nutrition: A Framework for Action’. New York: United Nations, 2010..
- 45Scaling up Nutrition: What Will It Cost? Washington, DC: The World Bank, 2009., , , , .
- 46Institute of Medicine. Nutrition during Pregnancy and Lactation: An Implementation Guide. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 1992.
- 47Maternal iron-folic acid supplementation programs: evidence of impact and implementation. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 2010; 31 (2 Suppl):S100–S107., , .
- 51Controlling Iron Deficiency. State of the Art Paper 9. Geneva: ACC/SCN, 1991., , .
- 52WHO/UNICEF. Focusing on Anaemia: Towards an Integrated Approach for Effective Anaemia Control. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2004.
- 54Linking community-based programs and service delivery for improving maternal and child nutrition. Asian Development Review 1999; 17:33–65., .
- 56WHO/UNICEF. Countdown to 2015 Decade Report (2000–2010): Taking Stock of Maternal, Newborn and Child Survival. Geneva: WHO, 2010.
- 59CESCR. General Comment 12: The Right to Adequate Food. Geneva: UNHCHR, 1999.
- 60FAO. Voluntary Guidelines to Support the Progressive Realization of the Right to Adequate Food in the Context of National Food Security. Rome: FAO, 2004.
- 61FAO. Right to Food Methodological Toolbox. Rome: FAO, 2010.
- 62Women and the Right to Food: International Law and State Practice. Right to Food Studies. Rome: FAO Right to Food Unit, 2008..