Routine Iron/Folate Supplementation during Pregnancy: Effect on Maternal Anaemia and Birth Outcomes
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology
Special Issue: Improving maternal, newborn, and child health outcomes through better designed policies and programs that enhance the nutrition of women
Volume 26, Issue Supplement s1, pages 168–177, July 2012
How to Cite
Imdad, A. and Bhutta, Z. A. (2012), Routine Iron/Folate Supplementation during Pregnancy: Effect on Maternal Anaemia and Birth Outcomes. Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology, 26: 168–177. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3016.2012.01312.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2012
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2012
- 5World Health Organization. Micronutrient deficiencies. http://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/ida/en/index.html[last accessed October 2011].
- 6de Benoist B, McLean E, Egli I, Cogswell M (eds). Worldwide Prevalence of Anaemia 1993–2005. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2008. WHO Global Database on Anaemia http://www.who.int/vmnis/publications/anaemia_prevalence/en/index.html[last accessed October 2011].
- 9Effects and safety of preventive oral iron or iron+folic acid supplementation for women during pregnancy. Cochrane Database of Systemic Reviews 2009; (4):CD004736., .
- 14Cochrane Group. RevMan: The Cochrane Collaboration. Review Manager (RevMan) 5 for Windows. John Wiley & Sons: Oxford, 2003.
- 19Comparison of weekly and daily iron supplementation to pregnant women in Guatemala (supervised and unsupervised). The Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology Journal 1996; 10:A4221., , .
- 27Effect of high-dose iron supplements on fractional zinc absorption and status in pregnant women. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2002; 76:1392–1400; 2007; 85:131–136., , , , , , et al.
- 29Effect of time of initiation and dose of prenatal iron and folic acid supplementation on iron and folate nutriture of Korean women during pregnancy. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2002; 76:1392–1400; 2005; 82:843–849., , .
- 31Efficacy and tolerability of low-dose iron supplements during pregnancy: a randomized controlled trial. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2002; 76:1392–1400; 2003; 78:145–153., , , , .
- 35Effect of iron supplementation on the iron status of pregnant women: consequences for newborns. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2002; 76:1392–1400; 1997; 66:1178–1182., , , , , .
- 40Using Traditional Birth Attendants to Improve Iron Tablet Utilization by Pregnant Women. Maluku Province, Indonesia. Draft paper. Mother Care Project. San Diego, CA: Project Concern International, 1999., , .
- 42The effect of weekly iron supplementation on iron and zinc nutritional status in pregnant women. Korean Journal of Nutrition 1998; 31:1270–1282., .
- 43A randomised placebo-controlled trial to determine the effect of iron supplementation on pregnancy outcome in pregnant women with haemoglobin > or =13.2 g/dl. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 2007; 114:684–688., , , .
- 44Prevention and control of anemia: Thailand experiences. Journal of Nutrition 2002; 132(Suppl. 4):862S–866S..