These authors contributed equally to this work.
Helminth infection inhibits airway allergic reaction and dendritic cells are involved in the modulation process
Article first published online: 20 AUG 2009
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 32, Issue 1, pages 57–66, January 2010
How to Cite
LIU, P., LI, J., YANG, X., SHEN, Y., ZHU, Y., WANG, S., WU, Z., LIU, X., AN, G., JI, W., GAO, W. and YANG, X. (2010), Helminth infection inhibits airway allergic reaction and dendritic cells are involved in the modulation process. Parasite Immunology, 32: 57–66. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3024.2009.01161.x
- Issue published online: 9 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 20 AUG 2009
- Received: 29 April 2009 Accepted for publication: 28 July 2009
- 1Epidemiology of the allergic diseases: are they really on the increases? Int Arch Allergy Immunol 1989; 90 (Suppl. 1): 3–10..
- 2The rising trends in asthma and allergic disease. Clin Exp Allergy 1998; 28 (Suppl. 5): 45–49..
- 3Hay fever, hygiene and household size. Br Med J 1989; 299: 1259..
- 4Asthma: an epidemic in the absence of infection? Science 1997; 275: 41–42.& .
- 5Wheezing, allergy, and parasite infection in children in urban and rural Ethiopia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2003; 167: 1369–1373., , , et al.
- 6Allergic symptoms, atopy, and geohelminth infections in a rural area of Ecuador. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2003; 168: 313–317., , , & .
- 7Chlamydia trachomatis infection inhibits airway eosinophilic inflammation induced by ragweed. Clin Immunol 2002; 102: 28–36., , , , & .
- 8Mycobacterial infection inhibits established allergic inflammatory responses via alteration of cytokine production and vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 expression. Immunology 2002; 105: 336–343., , , et al.
- 9Systemic mycobacterial infection inhibits antigen-specific immunoglobulin E production, bronchial mucus production and eosinophilic inflammation induced by allergen. Immunology 1999; 98: 329–337., , & .
- 10Decreased atopy in children infected with Schistosoma haematobium: a role for parasite-induced interleukin-10. Lancet 2000; 356: 1723–1727., , , et al.
- 11Low frequency of positive skin tests in asthmatic patients infected with Schistosoma mansoni exposed to high levels of mite. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2004; 15: 142–147., & .
- 12Impaired T helper 2 response to aeroallergen in helminth-infected patients with asthma. J Infect Dis 2004; 190: 1797–1803., , , et al.
- 13The link between helminththic infection and atopy. Parasitol today 2000; 16: 186–188., , , et al.
- 14Infections and allergy-helminths, Hygiene and host immune regulation. Curr Opin Immunol 2005; 17: 656–661..
- 15Parasitesand asthma/allergy: what’s the relationship? J Allergy Clin Immunol 2000; 105: 205–210..
- 16Helminth infection protects mice from anaphylaxis via IL-10-producing B Cells. J Immunol 2004; 173: 6346–6356., , , , & .
- 17Helminth-modified pulmonary immune response protects mice from allergen-induced airway hyperresponsiveness. J Immunol 2006; 176: 138–147., , & .
- 18Helminth infection modulates the development of allergen-induced airway inflammation. Int Immunol 2004; 16: 585–596., , , et al.
- 19Intestinal helminthes protect in a murine model of asthma. J Immunol 2006; 177: 1628–1635., , , , & .
- 20Schistosoma mansoni infection is associated with a reduced course of asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2003; 111: 947–951., , , et al.
- 21Schistosomiasis decreases immune responses to allergens and clinical manifestations of asthma. Chem Immunol Allergy 2006; 90: 29–44.& .
- 22Infection of mice with the helminth Strongyloides stercoralis suppresses pulmonary allergic responses to ovalbumin. Clin Exp Allergy 2001; 31: 495–503., , & .
- 23Inverse association between skin response to aeroallergens and Schistosoma mansoni infection. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2000; 123: 145–148., , , et al.
- 24An enteric helminth infection protects against an allergic response to dietary antigen. J Immunol 2002; 169: 3284–3292., , , & .
- 25Effect of anti-helminthic treatment on the allergic reactivity of children in a tropical slum. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1993; 92: 404., , , , & .
- 26Suppression of allergic airway inflammation by helminth-induced regulatory T cells. JEM 2005; 202: 1199–1212., , , , & .
- 27Schistosoma japonicum egg antigens stimulate CD4+ CD25+ T cells and modulat airway inflammation in a murine model of asthma. Immunology 2007; 120: 8–18., , , et al.
- 28Eosinophilic inflammation and airway hyper-responsiveness are profoundly inhibited by a helminth (Ascaris suum) extract in a murine model of asthma. Clin Exp Allergy 2002; 32: 1659–1666., , , , & .
- 29Down-regulation of specific antigen-driven cytokine production in a population with endemic Schistosoma japonicum infection. Clin Exp Immunol 2002; 129: 339–345., , , et al.
- 30Duplex Doppler ultrasound of hepatic Schistosomiasis japonica: A study of 47 patients. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2003; 68: 18–23., , , et al.
- 31Estimating the intensity of infection with Schistosoma japonicum in villagers of Leyte, Philippines. Part I: a bayesian cumulative logit model. The schistosomiasis transmission & ecology project (step). Am J Trop Med Hyg 2005; 72: 745–753., , , , & .
- 32Estimating and modeling the dynamics of the intensity of infection with Schistosoma japonicum in villagers of Leyte, Philippines. Part: intensity-specific transmission of SJ. The schistosomiasis transmission & ecology project. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2005; 72: 754–761., , , , & .
- 33Helminth infection and cognitive impairment among Filipino children. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2005; 72: 540–548., , , et al.
- 34Human parasitology, 3rd edn. USA, Elsevier Academic Press, 2005: 227–237., & .
- 35Human Parasitology, 1st edn. China, People’s Medical Publishing House, 1983: 270–281..
- 36Dendritic cells from Chlamydia-infected mice show altered Toll-like receptor expression and play a crucial role in inhibition of allergic responses to ovalbumin. Eur J Immunol 2004; 34: 981–989., , , et al.
- 37Chlamydia infection induces ICOS ligand-expressing and IL-10-producing dendritic cells that can inhibit airway inflammation and mucus overproduction elicited by allergen challenge in BALB/c mice. J Immunol 2006; 176: 5232–5239., , , et al.
- 38Imprinted DC mediate the immune-educating effect of early-life microbial exposure. Eur J Immunol 2009; 39: 469–480., , , et al.
- 39Schistosoma japonicum infection modulates the development of allergen-induced airway inflammation in mice. Parasitol Res 2008; 103: 1183–1189., , , et al.
- 40Protective effect of Schistosoma mansoni infection on allergic airway inflammation depends on the intensity and chronicity of infection. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2007; 120: 932–940., , , et al.
- 41Helminth infection with Litomosoides sigmodontis induces regulatory T cells and inhibits allergic sensitization, airway inflammation, and hyperreactivity in a murine asthma model. J Immunol 2008; 180: 1792–1799., , , et al.