Quantifying the effects of fungicides and disease resistance on greenhouse gas emissions associated with wheat production
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 BSPP
Volume 57, Issue 6, pages 1000–1008, December 2008
How to Cite
Berry, P. M., Kindred, D. R. and Paveley, N. D. (2008), Quantifying the effects of fungicides and disease resistance on greenhouse gas emissions associated with wheat production. Plant Pathology, 57: 1000–1008. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3059.2008.01899.x
- Issue published online: 18 NOV 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Published online 18 June 2008
- 1998. Life-Cycle Assessment (LCA) of Bread Produced on Different Scales: Case Study. Stockholm, Sweden: Swedish Waste Research Council, Swedish Environmental Protection Agency: AFR report 214. ,
- Anonymous 2007a. Environmental Assessment Tool for Biomaterials. York, UK: National Non-Food Crops Centre. Project NF0614.
- Anonymous, 2000. Fertiliser Recommendations for Agricultural and Horticultural Crops, 7th edn. London, UK: HMSO. MAFF (now DEFRA) Reference Book 209.
- Anonymous, 2006. British Survey of Fertiliser Practice. Fertiliser Use on Farm Crops for Crop Year 2005. Peterborough, UK: Agricultural Industries Confederation Ltd.
- Anonymous, 2007b. HGCA Recommended Lists 2007/08 for Cereals and Oilseeds. London, UK: Home-Grown Cereals Authority.
- 2007. UK Greenhouse Gas Inventory, 1990 to 2005. Annual Report for Submission Under the Framework Convention on Climate Change. London, UK: AEA Technology. http://www.naei.org.uk/reports.php , , et al
- 2007. Fungicide Resistance in Crop Pathogens: How Can it be Managed? 2nd Edition. Fungicide Resistance Action Committee, http://www.frac.info . , ,
- 1990. The effects of nitrogen and fungicide treatment on the yield and grain quality of Avalon winter wheat. Aspects of Applied Biology 25 (Cereal Quality II), 375–86. , , et al .,
- 1993. Interaction of winter wheat cultivars with fungicide programmes and effects on grain quality. Aspects of Applied Biology 36 (Cereal Quality III), 241–50. ,
- 2007. Opportunities and Implications of Using the Co-products from Biofuel Production as Feeds for Livestock. London, UK: Home-Grown Cereals Authority: HGC Research Report no. 66. , , et al .,
- 2007. N2O release from agro-biofuel production negates global warming reduction by replacing fossil fuels. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics Discussions 7, 11191–205. , , , ,
- 2006. N2O emissions from managed soils, and CO2 emissions from lime and urea application. In: 2006 IPCC Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories, Volume 4: Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use. Geneva, Switzerland: International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), chapter 11. , , et al .,
- 2002. The influence of foliar diseases, and their control by fungicides, on the protein concentration in wheat grain: a review. Journal of Agricultural Science (Cambridge) 138, 349–66. , ,
- 2006. Well-to-Wheels Analysis of Future Automotive Fuels and Powertrains in the European Context; Well-to-Tank Report, Version 2b. Ispra, Italy: CONCAWE, EUCAR and Joint Research Centre of the European Commission. , , , ,
- 2008. Range and severity of a plant disease increased by global warming. Journal of Royal Society Interface 5, 525–31. , , , , ,
- 2006. Major genetic changes in wheat with potential to affect disease tolerance. Phytopathology 96, 680–8. , , , , , ,
- 2006. Climate change effects on plant disease: genomes to ecosystems. Annual Review of Phytopathology 44, 489–509. , , , , ,
- 2005. Arable Crops in Great Britain 2004. London, UK: Department for the Environment Food and Rural Affairs: Pesticide Usage Survey Report 202. , , , ,
- 2001. Factors affecting disease of winter wheat in England and Wales, 1989–1998. Plant Pathology 50, 453–62. , , ,
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), 1997. Stabilization of Atmospheric Greenhouse Gases: Physical, Biological and Socio-Economic Implications. Geneva, Switzerland: IPCC.
- 1987. Defoliation, disease and growth: a reply. American Pathological Society 77, 1495–7. ,
- 2007. Effects of variety and fertiliser nitrogen on alcohol yield, grain yield, starch and protein content, and protein composition of winter wheat. Journal of Cereal Science Doi:10.1016/j.jcs.2007.07.010. , , et al.,
- 2004. Carbon sequestration and saving potential associated with changes to the management of agricultural soils in England. Soil Use and Management 20, 394–402. , , , ,
- 2004. Carbon emissions from farm operations. Environment International 30, 981–90. ,
- 1996. Genstat for Windows: an Introductory Course, 2nd Edn. Oxford, UK: Numerical Algorithms Group Limited. , ,
- 2003. Evaluation of the Comparative Energy, Global Warming and Socio-economic Benefits of Biodiesel. Sheffield, UK: Sheffield Hallam University: Final Report no. 20/1. , , , ,
- 2004. Energy and Greenhouse Gas Emissions for Bioethanol Production from Wheat Grain and Sugar Beet. Sheffield, UK: Sheffield Hallam University: Final Report no. 23/1. , , ,
- Sylvester-Bradley R, 2004. Nitrogen per unit leaf area affects the upper asymptote of Puccinia striiformis f.sp. tritici epidemics in winter wheat. Plant Pathology 53, 725–32. , ,
- 2007. Farm Management Pocketbook. Wye, UK: Imperial College London. ,
- 2004. Tolerance of septoria leaf blotch in winter wheat. Plant Pathology 53, 1–10. , , , , ,
- 2004. WTW evaluation for production of ethanol from wheat. In: London, UK: Low Carbon Vehicle Partnership: Report FWG-P-04-024. , , , et al .,
- 2006. Wheat as a Feedstock for Alcohol Production. London, UK: Home-Grown Cereals Authority (HGCA): Research Review no. 61 , , , , , ,
- Staniforth, 1979. Cereal Straw. Oxford, UK: Clarendon Press.
- 1997. The significance of crop canopies for N nutrition. Aspects of Applied Biology50 (Optimising Cereal Inputs: its Scientific Basis), 103–16. , , , ,
- 2006. Determining the Environmental Burdens and Resource Use in the Production of Agricultural and Horticultural Commodities. Bedford, UK: Cranfield University: Defra Research Project ISO205. , , ,