Virulence analysis of Puccinia graminis f.sp. tritici populations in Ethiopia with special consideration of Ug99
Article first published online: 19 DEC 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 BSPP
Volume 58, Issue 2, pages 362–369, April 2009
How to Cite
Admassu, B., Lind, V., Friedt, W. and Ordon, F. (2009), Virulence analysis of Puccinia graminis f.sp. tritici populations in Ethiopia with special consideration of Ug99. Plant Pathology, 58: 362–369. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3059.2008.01976.x
- Issue published online: 11 MAR 2009
- Article first published online: 19 DEC 2008
- Published online 19 December 2008
- 2005. Taxonomy, phylogeny, and distribution of Puccinia graminis, the black stem rust: new insights based on rDNA sequence data. Mycoscience 46, 241–7. , , ,
- 2002. Breeding Bread Wheat with Multiple Disease Resistance and High Yield for the Ethiopian Highlands: Broadening the Genetic Basis of Yellow Rust and Tan Spot Resistance. Goettingen, Germany: Goettingen University, PhD thesis. ,
- 2005. Physiological races and virulence diversity of Puccinia graminis f. sp. tritici on wheat in Ethiopia. Phytopathologia Mediterranea 44, 313–8. , ,
- CIMMYT, 2005. Sounding the Alarm on Global Stem Rust: An Assessment of Race Ug99 in Kenya and Ethiopia and the Potential for Impact in Neighboring Countries and Beyond. Mexico City, Mexico: CIMMYT.
- CSA, 1998. Report on Area and Crop Production Forecast for Major Grain Crops. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: Central Statistical Agency.
- CSA, 2006. Report on Area and Crop Production Forecast for Major Grain Crops. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: Central Statistical Agency.
- 2003. Physiological specialization of Puccinia graminis on wheat, barley, and oat in Canada in 2000. Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology 25, 174–81. ,
- 2005. Races of Puccinia graminis on wheat, barley, and oat in Canada, in 2002 and 2003. Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology 27, 572–80. ,
- 2004. Physiological specialization of Puccinia graminis on wheat, barley, and oat in Canada in 2001. Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology 26, 148–55. , ,
- Global Rust Initiative (GRI). 2007. Dangerous Wheat Disease Jumps Red Sea. [http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-01/imaw-dwd011607.php].
- 1975. Virulence changes in Puccinia graminis f. sp. tritici in Canada. Canadian Journal of Botany 53, 1377–86. ,
- 1992. Analysis of Wheat Leaf and Stem Rust Virulence on a Worldwide Basis. St Paul, MN, USA: University of Minnesota, PhD thesis. ,
- 2005. Races of Puccinia graminis identified in the United States in 2003. Plant Disease 89, 1125–7. ,
- 2006. Genetic diversity in Australian populations of Puccinia graminis f. sp. avenae. Phytopathology 96, 96–104. , , , ,
- 1990. Near-isogenic lines of wheat carrying genes for stem rust resistance. Crop Science 30, 901–5. ,
- 1987. Pathotypes of Puccinia graminis f. sp. tritici with increased virulence for Sr24. Plant Disease 71, 1115–9. , ,
- 1995. Wheat Rusts: an Atlas of Resistance Genes. Canberra, Australia: CSIRO. , , ,
- 2008. Breeding cereals for rust resistance in Australia. Plant Pathology 57, 591–602. ,
- 1992. Pathogenic specialization of wheat rusts in Australia and New Zealand in 1988 and 1989. Australasian Plant Pathology 21, 61–9. , ,
- 2000. Detection of virulence to wheat stem rust resistance gene Sr31 in Puccinia graminis f. sp. tritici in Uganda. Phytopathology 84, 203. , , , ,
- 1988. An international system of nomenclature for Puccinia graminis f. sp. tritici. Phytopathology 78, 526–33. , ,
- 1992. Rust Diseases of Wheat: Concepts and Methods of Disease Management. Mexico City, Mexico: CIMMYT. , , ,
- 1982. Control of stem rust by low receptivity to infection conditioned by a single dominant gene. Phytopathology 72, 297–9. ,
- SeedQuest, 2008. Ug99 wheat killer detected in Iran – dangerous fungus on the move from East Africa to the Middle East. SeedQuest News [http://www.seedquest.com/News] releases/2008/march/21996.htm.
- 2006. Genetic and Phenotypic Analyses of the Wheat–Puccinia triticina Eriks. Pathosystem. Bonn, Germany: University of Bonn, PhD thesis. ,
- 1991. Pathogenicity variation of Puccinia recondita f. sp. tritici and P. graminis f. sp. tritici in wheat-growing areas of Mexico during 1988 and 1989. Plant Disease 75, 790–4. ,
- 2006. Current status, likely migration and strategies to mitigate the threat to wheat production from race Ug99 (TTKS) of stem rust pathogen. Perspectives in Agriculture, Veterinary Science, Nutrition and Natural Resources 1, 1–13. , , et al .,
- 1962. Identification of Physiologic Races of Puccinia graminis var. tritici. Washington, USA: United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service E-617 (revised). , , ,
- 1989. Stripe, stem and leaf rust races in major wheat producing areas in Ethiopia. IAR Newsletter of Agricultural Research 3, 6–8. , , ,