Ability of governments to take actions to confront incursions of diseases – a case study: citrus canker in Florida
Version of Record online: 16 DEC 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Plant Pathology © 2011 BSPP
Volume 61, Issue 5, pages 821–828, October 2012
How to Cite
Centner, T. J. and Ferreira, S. (2012), Ability of governments to take actions to confront incursions of diseases – a case study: citrus canker in Florida. Plant Pathology, 61: 821–828. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3059.2011.02575.x
- Issue online: 4 SEP 2012
- Version of Record online: 16 DEC 2011
- Published online 16 December 2011
- 2007. The legal basis for regulatory control of invasive citrus pests in Florida: a review of the citrus canker and spreading decline cases. Drake Journal of Agricultural Law 12, 409–22. , , , ,
- Ag-Innovations Inc vs US Department of Agriculture, 2006 US Dist LEXIS 9552 (Dist Ct, Vt).
- 2007. Farm economics of bird flu. Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics 55, 471–83. , , ,
- 2010. Effect of frequence of copper applications on control of citrus canker and the yield of young bearing sweet orange trees. Crop Protection 29, 300–5. , , , ,
- 2006. Successful and currently ongoing parasite eradication programs. Veterinary Parasitology 139, 293–307. ,
- 2008. Biosecurity in agriculture: an economic analysis of coexistence of professional and hobby production. Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 52, 453–70. , , ,
- 2009. Managing invasive alien species with professional and hobby farmers: insights from ecological-economic modelling. Ecological Economics 68, 1366–74. , , ,
- 2012. Controlling diseases and nuisances: time-based rights and agricultural production. Land Use Policy. doi.org/10.1016/j.landusepol.2011.09.006. , ,
- 2003. Takings, regulations, and natural property rights. Cornell Law Review 88, 1549–671. ,
- Customer Company vs City of Sacramento, 1995. 895 P2d 900 (Cal Sup Ct).
- 2011. An evaluation of ultraviolet light (UV254) as a means to inactivate porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus on common farm surfaces and materials. Veterinary Microbiology 150, 96–9. , , ,
- Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services vs Bogorff, 2010. 35 So3d 84 (Fla Ct App).
- 2010. Florida Citrus Pest Management Guide: Citrus Canker. Gainesville, FL, USA: Florida Cooperative Extension Service, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida. , ,
- FAO, 1995. Requirements for the Establishment of Pest Free Areas. Rome, Italy: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, International Standards for Phytosanitary Measures (ISPM) No. 4.
- FAO, 1998. Guidelines for Pest Eradication Programmes. Rome, Italy: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, International Standards for Phytosanitary Measures (ISPM) No. 9.
- FAO, 2004. Pest Risk Analysis for Quarantine Pests Including Analysis of Environmental Risks and Living Modified Organisms. Rome, Italy: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, International Standards for Phytosanitary Measures (ISPM) No. 11.
- FAO, 2007. Framework for Pest Risk Analysis. Rome, Italy: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, International Standards for Phytosanitary Measures (ISPM) No. 2.
- Farmers Insurance Exchange vs California, 1985. 221 Cal Rptr 225 (Cal Ct App).
- Florida Constitution, 2010. Art X, section 6(a).
- Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, 2007. Comprehensive Report on Citrus Canker in Florida. Tallahassee, FL, USA: Division of Plant Industry.
- Florida Laws, 2000. Ch 308.
- Florida Laws, 2002. Ch 11.
- Florida Statutes, 2003. Section 581.184.
- Florida Statutes, 2010. Sections 581.031, 581.101, 581.184, 581.1845.
- 2009. Spatiotemporal modelling of Asian citrus canker risks: implications for insurance and indemnification fund models. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 91, 1038–55. Direct Link:, ,
- 2000. Research reports – what is known. In: International Citrus Canker Research Workshop, Fort Pierce, FL, 20–22 June, vol. 1. 1–203. , , ,
- 2001. The citrus canker epidemic in Florida: the scientific basis of regulatory eradication policy for an invasive species. Phytopathology 91, 30–4. , , , , ,
- 2002. Citrus canker: the pathogen and its impact. Plant Health Progress. doi: 10.1094/PHP-2002-0812-01-RV. , , ,
- 2004. Xanthomonas axonopodis pv. citri: factors affecting successful eradication of citrus canker. Molecular Plant Pathology 5, 1–15. , , , ,
- 2009. Livestock disease indemnity design when moral hazard is followed by adverse selection. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 91, 627–41. Direct Link:, , ,
- 2007. Expansion of the national fruit fly control programme in Argentina. In: Vreysen MJB, Robinson AS, Hendrichs J, eds. Area-Wide Control of Insect Pests. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Springer, 653–60. , ,
- 2010. Managing invasive populations of Asian longhorned beetle and citrus longhorned beetle: a worldwide perspective. Annual Review of Entomology 55, 521–46. , , , ,
- 2007. Behavioral incentives, equilibrium endemic disease, and health management policy for farmed animals. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 89, 698–711. Direct Link:,
- Initial Brief of Florida Department of Agriculture, 2008. In re: Citrus Canker Litigation, Case No. 00-18394 (08), Circuit Court, Seventeenth Judicial Circuit, Broward County, FL, 20 Apr.
- 2006. Post-hurricane analysis of citrus canker spread and progress towards the development of a predictive model to estimate disease spread due to catastrophic weather events. Plant Health Progress. doi: 10.1094/PHP-2006-822-01-RS. , , , , ,
- Kansas Statutes Annotated, 2011. Section 47-124.
- 2000. Animal disease incidence and indemnity eradication programs. Agricultural Economics 22, 299–308. , ,
- Lucas vs South Carolina Coastal Council, 1992. 505 US 1003 (Sup Ct).
- Malbrain vs Washington State Department of Agriculture, 2004. 86 P3d 322 (Wash Ct App).
- Miller vs Schoene, 1928. 276 US 272 (Sup Ct).
- 2009. Options for control of foot-and-mouth disease: knowledge, capability and policy. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 364, 2657–67. , , ,
- Pennsylvania Coal Company vs Mahon, 1922. 260 US 393 (Sup Ct).
- 2002. The Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) brucellosis eradication program in the United States. Veterinary Microbiology 90, 11–8. ,
- 2005. A model of producer incentives for livestock disease management. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment 19, 315–25. , ,
- 2008. State loses another canker lawsuit. Palm Beach Post, 22 February, 1D. ,
- 2003. Bacterial Citrus Canker. Tallahasse, FL, USA: Florida Department of Agriculture and Conservation Services, Plant Pathology Circular no. 377 (5th revision). , ,
- 2001. Meeting the challenge of eradicating citrus canker in Florida – again. Plant Disease 85, 340–56. , , , , , ,
- 2009. Techniques for the treatment, removal and disposal of host material during programmes for plant pathogen eradication. Plant Pathology 58, 621–35. , , , , ,
- Stop the Beach Renourishment, Inc vs Florida Department of Environmental Protection, 2010. 130 Sup Ct 2592 (Sup Ct).
- 2011. High-voltage conflict on Blackacre: reorienting utility easement rights for electric reliability. Columbia Journal of Environmental Law 36, 1–57. ,
- US Code, 2006. Title 7, sections 7701 and 8301.
- USDA, 1984. Citrus canker; declaration of extraordinary emergency because of citrus canker. Federal Register 49, 41268.
- USDA, 1988. Movement of citrus fruit from Florida. Federal Register 53, 3999.
- USDA, 1999a. Declaration of emergency because of citrus canker. Federal Register 64, 13540.
- USDA, 1999b. Citrus canker eradication program. Environmental Assessment. http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/ea/downloads/ccea.pdf. Accessed 5 September 2011.
- USDA, 2000. Citrus canker payments for commercial citrus tree replacement. Federal Register 65, 61077–80.
- USDA, 2006. Letter of Chuck Conner to Charles H. Bronson, Florida Commissioner of Agriculture. http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/pdf/Canker%20-%20Bronson.pdf. Accessed 5 September 2011.
- 2009. EPPO workshop on eradication, containment and contingency planning. OEPP/EPPO Bulletin 39, 143–5. , ,
- Wallace vs Dohner, 1929. 165 NE 552 (Ind Sup Ct).
- Wisconsin Statutes, 2011. Section 95.17.