Immune Responses in Patients with Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma Treated with Dendritic Cells Pulsed with Tumor Lysate
Article first published online: 10 SEP 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Scandinavian Journal of Immunology
Volume 70, Issue 5, pages 481–489, November 2009
How to Cite
Soleimani, A., Berntsen, A., Svane, I. M. and Pedersen, A. E. (2009), Immune Responses in Patients with Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma Treated with Dendritic Cells Pulsed with Tumor Lysate. Scandinavian Journal of Immunology, 70: 481–489. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3083.2009.02322.x
- Issue published online: 27 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 10 SEP 2009
- Received 4 August 2009; Accepted in revised form 27 August 2009
- 1Renal cell carcinoma: management of advanced disease. J Urol 1999;161:381–6..
- 2Regimens with or without interferon-alpha as treatment for metastatic melanoma and renal cell carcinoma: an overview of randomized trials. J Immunother 1999;22:145–54., , .
- 3Infiltration of activated dendritic cells and T cells in renal cell carcinoma following combined cytokine immunotherapy. Eur Urol 2005;48:527–33., , et al.
- 4Review of clinical studies on dendritic cell-based vaccination of patients with malignant melanoma: assessment of correlation between clinical response and vaccine parameters. Cancer Immunol Immunother 2009;58:1–14., , , , .
- 5Clinical and immunologic results of a randomized phase II trial of vaccination using four melanoma peptides either administered in granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor in adjuvant or pulsed on dendritic cells. J Clin Oncol 2003;21:4016–26., , et al.
- 6Cross-priming of naive CD8 T cells against melanoma antigens using dendritic cells loaded with killed allogeneic melanoma cells. J Exp Med 2000;192:1535–44., , et al.
- 7Cytokine-based therapy and biochemotherapy for advanced melanoma. Clin Cancer Res 2006;12(7 Pt 2):2353s–8s..
- 8Therapeutic dendritic cell vaccination of patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma: a clinical phase 1/2 trial. J Immunother 2008;31:771–80., , et al.
- 9Vaccination with p53 peptide-pulsed dendritic cells is associated with disease stabilization in patients with p53 expressing advanced breast cancer; application of serum YKL-40 and IL-6 as response biomarkers. Cancer Immunol Immunother 2007;56:148–599. (accepted for publication)., , et al.
- 10Vaccination with p53 peptide pulsed dendritic cells of patients with advanced breast cancer:report from a phase I study. Cancer Immunol Immunother 2004;53:633–41., , et al.
- 11Antigen presentation and T cell stimulation by dendritic cells. Annu Rev Immunol 2002;20:621–67., , , , .
- 12Delivery of whole tumor lysate into dendritic cells for cancer vaccination. Methods Mol Biol 2008;423:139–53., , , .
- 13Antigen loading of dendritic cells with whole tumor cell preparations. J Immunol Methods 2003;277:1–16., , et al.
- 14Induction of tumor-specific T-cell responses by vaccination with tumor lysate-loaded dendritic cells in colorectal cancer patients with carcinoembryonic-antigen positive tumors. Cancer Immunol Immunother 2007;56:2003–16., , et al.
- 15Vaccination of recurrent glioma patients with tumour lysate-pulsed dendritic cells elicits immune responses: results of a clinical phase I/II trial. Br J Cancer 2003;89:1172–9., , et al.
- 16Vaccination of melanoma patients using dendritic cells loaded with an allogeneic tumor cell lysate. Cancer Immunol Immunother 2006;55:819–29., , et al.
- 17Phase I/II study of immunotherapy using autologous tumor lysate-pulsed dendritic cells in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Clin Immunol 2007;125:257–67., , et al.
- 18Phase I/II study of vaccination with electrofused allogeneic dendritic cells/autologous tumor-derived cells in patients with stage IV renal cell carcinoma. J Immunother 2007;30:749–61., , et al.
- 19Results of a phase I clinical study using dendritic cell vaccinations for thyroid cancer. Thyroid 2007;17:53–8., , et al.
- 20Vaccination of B-CLL patients with autologous dendritic cells can change the frequency of leukemia antigen-specific CD8 + T cells as well as CD4 + CD25 + FoxP3 + regulatory T cells toward an antileukemia response. Leukemia 2008;22:1007–17., , et al.
- 21Postoperative adjuvant dendritic cell-based immunotherapy in patients with relapsed glioblastoma multiforme. Clin Cancer Res 2008;14:3098–104., , et al.
- 22Molecular mechanisms regulating Th1 immune responses. Annu Rev Immunol 2003;21:713–58., , , .
- 23Roles of idiotype-specific t cells in myeloma cell growth and survival: Th1 and CTL cells are tumoricidal while Th2 cells promote tumor growth. Cancer Res 2008;68:8456–64., , , , , .
- 24A Preclinical protocol exploring mRNA-transfected allogeneic monocytes as a potential cancer vaccine. Manuscript in preparation 2009 Jan 1., , et al.
- 25Interleukin-10-treated human dendritic cells induce a melanoma-antigen-specific anergy in CD8(+) T cells resulting in a failure to lyse tumor cells. Blood 1999;93:1634–42., , , , , .
- 26Constitutive IL-10 production accounts for the high NK sensitivity, low MHC class I expression, and poor transporter associated with antigen processing (TAP)-1/2 function in the prototype NK target YAC-1. J Immunol 1998;161:2099–105., , et al.
- 27Mechanisms of immune privilege for tumor cells by regulatory cytokines produced by innate and acquired immune cells. Semin Cancer Biol 2002;12:291–300., , .
- 28A synthetic peptide homologous to functional domain of human IL-10 down-regulates expression of MHC class I and transporter associated with antigen processing 1/2 in human melanoma cells. J Immunol 2004;173:1731–7., , et al.
- 29IFN-gamma and Fas/FasL are required for the antitumor and antiangiogenic effects of IL-12/pulse IL-2 therapy. J Clin Invest 2001;108:51–62., , et al.
- 30Interleukin 12 induces stable priming for interferon gamma (IFN-gamma) production during differentiation of human T helper (Th) cells and transient IFN-gamma production in established Th2 cell clones. J Exp Med 1994;179:1273–83., , et al.
- 31Natural killer cell stimulatory factor (interleukin 12 [IL-12]) induces T helper type 1 (Th1)-specific immune responses and inhibits the development of IL-4-producing Th cells. J Exp Med 1993;177:1199–204., , et al.
- 32Potent and selective stimulation of memory-phenotype CD8 + T cells in vivo by IL-15. Immunity 1998;8:591–9., , , , .
- 33IL-2-induced activation-induced cell death is inhibited in IL-15 transgenic mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2000;97:11445–50., , et al.
- 34Interleukin-18 binding protein reduces b16 melanoma hepatic metastasis by neutralizing adhesiveness and growth factors of sinusoidal endothelium. Cancer Res 2003;63:491–7., , et al.
- 35Clinical and experimental approaches to the pathophysiology of interleukin-18 in cancer progression. Cancer Metastasis Rev 2006;25:417–34., , et al.
- 36Defective NK cell activity and Th1 response in IL-18-deficient mice. Immunity 1998;8:383–90., , et al.
- 37Systemic administration of IL-23 induces potent antitumor immunity primarily mediated through Th1-type response in association with the endogenously expressed IL-12. J Immunol 2007;178:7571–80., , , , , .
- 38Interleukin-17 expression by breast cancer associated macrophages: IL-17 promotes invasiveness of breast cancer cell lines. Breast Cancer Res 2008;10:R95., , et al.