These authors contributed equally to this work.
The Allogeneic but not Syngeneic Dendritic Cells Effectively Generated Regulatory T Cells from Total Cd4+ Population without Exogenous Cytokines
Version of Record online: 30 SEP 2009
© 2010 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Scandinavian Journal of Immunology
Volume 71, Issue 1, pages 12–19, January 2009
How to Cite
Liu, C., Wang, Q., Liu, F., Li, H., Zhu, F., Wang, X., Guo, C., Ma, C. and Zhang, L. (2010), The Allogeneic but not Syngeneic Dendritic Cells Effectively Generated Regulatory T Cells from Total Cd4+ Population without Exogenous Cytokines. Scandinavian Journal of Immunology, 71: 12–19. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3083.2009.02334.x
- Issue online: 10 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 30 SEP 2009
- Received 6 July 2009; Accepted in revised form 15 September 2009
- 1Immunologic self-tolerance maintained by activated T cells expressing IL-2 receptor alpha-chains (CD25). Breakdown of a single mechanism of self-tolerance causes various autoimmune diseases. J Immunol 1995;155:1151–64., , , , .
- 2Recipient-type specific CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells favor immune reconstitution and control graft-versus-host disease while maintaining graft-versus-leukemia. J Clin Invest 2003;112:1688–96., , et al.
- 3Regulatory T cells in transplantation tolerance. Nat Rev Immunol 2003;3:199–210., .
- 4Dendritic cells with TGF-beta1 differentiate naive CD4+CD25− T cells into islet-protective Foxp3+ regulatory T cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2007;104: 2821–6., , et al.
- 5Conversion of peripheral CD4+CD25− naive T cells to CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells by TGF-beta induction of transcription factor Foxp3. J Exp Med 2003;198:1875–86., , et al.
- 6Dendritic cells are specialized accessory cells along with TGF− for the differentiation of Foxp3+ CD4+ regulatory T cells from peripheral Foxp3 precursors. Blood 2007;110:4293–302., , , , , .
- 7Antigen presentation and T cell stimulation by dendritic cells. Annu Rev Immunol 2002;20:621–67., , , , .
- 8Dendritic cells in a mature age. Nat Rev Immunol 2006;6:476–83..
- 9Expansion of CD4(+) CD25(+) Foxp3(+) T cells by bone marrow-derived dendritic cells. Immunology 2008;127:50–61., , , , .
- 10Effective expansion of alloantigen-specific Foxp3+ CD25+ CD4+ regulatory T cells by dendritic cells during the mixed leukocyte reaction. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2006;103:2758–63., , et al.
- 11Generation of large numbers of dendritic cells from mouse bone marrow cultures supplemented with granulocyte/macrophage colony-stimulating factor. J Exp Med 1992;176:1693–702., , et al.
- 12An advanced culture method for generating large quantities of highly pure dendritic cells from mouse bone marrow. J Immunol Methods 1999;223:77–92., , et al.
- 13Dendritic cells expand antigen-specific Foxp3+ CD25+ CD4+ regulatory T cells including suppressors of alloreactivity. Immunol Rev 2006;212:314–29., , , .
- 14Direct expansion of functional CD25+ CD4+ regulatory T cells by antigen-processing dendritic cells. J Exp Med 2003;198:235–47., , et al.
- 15A critical function for TGF-beta signaling in the development of natural CD4+CD25+Foxp3+ regulatory T cells. Nat Immunol 2008;9:632–40., , , , , .
- 16Tolerance, not immunity, crucially depends on IL-2. Nat Rev Immunol 2004;4:665–74., .
- 17Cutting edge: IL-2 is critically required for the in vitro activation of CD4+CD25+ T cell suppressor function. J Immunol 2004;172:6519–23., , , .
- 18Activation of cloned human CD4+ Th1 and Th2 cells by blood dendritic cells. Scand J Immunol 1996;43:646–51., .
- 19Monoclonal antibodies to LFA-1 and to CD4 inhibit the mixed leukocyte reaction after the antigen-dependent clustering of dendritic cells and T lymphocytes. J Exp Med 1987;165:1403–17., .
- 20CD3-specific antibody-induced immune tolerance involves transforming growth factor-beta from phagocytes digesting apoptotic T cells. Nat Med 2008;14:528–35., , , , , .
- 21Macrophages that have ingested apoptotic cells in vitro inhibit proinflammatory cytokine production through autocrine/paracrine mechanisms involving TGF-beta, PGE2, and PAF. J Clin Invest 1998;101:890–8., , , , , .
- 22Apoptotic cells, through transforming growth factor-beta, coordinately induce anti-inflammatory and suppress pro-inflammatory eicosanoid and NO synthesis in murine macrophages. J Biol Chem 2006;281:38376–84., , , , , .
- 23Phosphatidylserine-dependent ingestion of apoptotic cells promotes TGF-beta1 secretion and the resolution of inflammation. J Clin Invest 2002;109:41–50., , .
- 24Transcriptional and translational regulation of inflammatory mediator production by endogenous TGF-beta in macrophages that have ingested apoptotic cells. J Immunol 1999;163:6164–72., , , .
- 25Clearance of apoptotic cells: TGF-beta in the balance between inflammation and fibrosis. J Leukoc Biol 2003;74:959–60., .
- 26Mechanisms of T regulatory cell function. Autoimmun Rev 2008;7:370–5., , .
- 27Mechanisms of suppression by suppressor T cells. Nat Immunol 2005;6:338–44..