THE ANGLE OF REPOSE FOR A SINGLE GRAIN ON A FIXED ROUGH BED
Article first published online: 14 JUN 2006
Volume 6, Issue 4, pages 303–314, July 1966
How to Cite
MILLER, R. L. and BYRNE, R. J. (1966), THE ANGLE OF REPOSE FOR A SINGLE GRAIN ON A FIXED ROUGH BED. Sedimentology, 6: 303–314. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3091.1966.tb01897.x
- Issue published online: 14 JUN 2006
- Article first published online: 14 JUN 2006
- (Received July 14, 1965)
The angle of repose under water is experimentally determined for a single particle on a fixed rough bed.
The effect of grain shape, size and sorting of the bed and ratio of particle diameter to average bed grain diameter are taken into account. An empirical equation is given for predicting angle of repose as a function of the above factors. The accuracy of fit of this equation is quite good. Several other conclusions drawn for the case of a single grain on a fixed rough bed are:
- 1Angle of repose increases with decrease in size, departure from sphericity and increased angularity.
- 2Angle of repose increase with decrease in sorting.
- 3A single angle of repose for sand size grains is not valid. Variation ranges from nearly 90° to less than 20°, depending on the values of the factors given above.