‘Guidance and Recommendations’ as per the BCSH website (date for guideline review July 2014).
Guidelines for pre-transfusion compatibility procedures in blood transfusion laboratories†
Version of Record online: 6 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Transfusion Medicine © 2012 British Blood Transfusion Society
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 3–35, February 2013
How to Cite
British Committee for Standards in Haematology, Milkins, C., Berryman, J., Cantwell, C., Elliott, C., Haggas, R., Jones, J., Rowley, M., Williams, M. and Win, N. (2013), Guidelines for pre-transfusion compatibility procedures in blood transfusion laboratories. Transfusion Medicine, 23: 3–35. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3148.2012.01199.x
Writing group members: C. Milkins, J. Berryman, C. Cantwell, C. Elliott, R. Haggas, J. Jones, M. Rowley, M. Williams and N. Win.
- Issue online: 22 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 6 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 21 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 18 JUL 2012
- AABB (2011) Technical Manual (17th edn). ISBN: 978-1-56395-315-6. American Association of Blood Banks, Bethesda.
- 2003) RBC alloimmunization and autoimmunization among transfusion-dependent Arab thalassemia patients. Transfusion, 43, 1604–1610. , , , , & (
- BCSH (2004) Transfusion guidelines for neonates and older children, including 2005 and 2007 amendments. URL http://www.bcshguidelines.com (Accessed 26/10/12).
- BCSH (2006a) Guidelines for blood grouping and antibody testing in pregnancy. URL http://www.bcshguidelines.com (Accessed 26/10/12).
- BCSH (2006b) The specification and use of information technology systems in blood transfusion practice. URL http://www.bcshguidelines.com (Accessed 26/10/12).
- BCSH (2009) Guidelines on the administration of blood components. URL http://www.bcshguidelines.com (Accessed 26/10/12).
- BCSH (2010a) Guidelines for validation and qualification, including change control, for hospital transfusion laboratories. URL http://www.bcshguidelines.com (Accessed 26/10/12).
- BCSH (2010b) Guidelines on the use of irradiated components. URL http://www.bcshguidelines.com (Accessed 26/10/12).
- 1982) A new reagent (ZZAP) having multiple applications in immunohematology. American Journal of Clinical Pathology, 78, 161–167. & (
- BSQR (2005) Blood Safety and Quality Regulations (No. 2). S.I 2005/50 as amended by S.I 2005/1098.
- 2009) UK Transfusion Laboratory Collaborative: recommended minimum standards for hospital transfusion laboratories. Transfusion Medicine, 19, 156–158. , , , , , , & (
- 2004) Guidelines for compatibility procedures in blood transfusion laboratories. Transfusion Medicine, 14, 59–73. , , , & (
- CPA (2010) Standards for the Medical Laboratory CPA (UK) Ltd. URL http://www.cpa-uk.co.uk (Accessed 26/10/12).
- 2007) Partial D and weak D: can they be distinguished? Transfusion Medicine, 17, 145–146. , & (
- 2002) The clinical significance of blood group antibodies. Transfusion Medicine, 12, 287–295. , , , , & (
- DH (2011) The ‘never events’ list for 2011/12. URL http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_124552 (Accessed 26/10/12).
- 2003) An international study of the performance of sample collection from patients. Vox Sanguinis, 85, 40–47. , , et al. (
- EUDRALEX (2011) Eudralex—Volume 4 Good manufacturing practice (GMP) Guidelines. Annex 11 Computerised Systems. URL http://www.ec.europa.eu/health.
- ISPE (2008) GAMP®5: a risk-based approach to compliant GxP computerized systems. URL http://www.ispe.org/gamp-5 (Accessed 26/10/12).
- UK Blood Transfusion Services (2012) Guidelines for the Blood Transfusion Services in the UK. URL http://www.transfusionguidelines.org.uk (Accessed 26/10/12).
- ISBT (2010) Validation Task Force of ISBT Blood Transfusion Working Party – Guidelines for validation of autoamted systems in blood establishments. Vox Sanguinis, 98 (Suppl. 1), 1–19.
- 1988) Discrepancies in reverse ABO typing due to prozone. How safe is the immediate-spin crossmatch? Transfusion, 28, 334–338. , , & (
- 2002) The United Kingdom National External Quality Assessment Scheme (blood transfusion laboratory practice): trends in proficiency and practice between 1985 and 2000. Transfusion Medicine, 12, 11–23. , , & (
- 2005) Autoimmune hemolytic anemia and a further example of autoanti-Kpb. Immunohematology, 21, 119–121. , & (
- 2004) Unlike anti-c, anti-K in pregnancy is more likely to have been induced by previous transfusion; this can be prevented. Transfusion, 44, 104A. & (
- 2005) The incidence of red cell alloantibodies underlying panreactive warm autoantibodies. Immunohematology, 21, 122–125. , , , & (
- MHRA (2010) Guidance on electronic issue of blood components. URL http://www.mhra. gov.uk/howweregulate/blood/index.htm (Accessed 26/10/12).
- 2010) Timing of sample collection in relation to previous transfusions – a proposal for changing the recommendations. Transfusion Medicine, 20, 39. , , , & (
- 2005a) Mollison's Blood Transfusion in Clinical Medicine, 11th Edition Page 74, Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, UK. , (
- 2005b) Mollison's Blood Transfusion in Clinical Medicine, 11th Edition Page 477, Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, UK. , (
- 2004) Current performance of patient sample collection in the UK. Transfusion Medicine, 14, 113–121. , & (
- NBTC (2009) The Chief Medical Officer's National Blood Transfusion Committee—The appropriate use of group O RhD negative red cells. URL http://www.transfusionguidelines.org.uk >national blood transfusion committee>NBTC recommendations (Accessed 26/10/12).
- NHSBT (2011) Provision of red cell transfusion support for transfusion dependent patients INF150/1.1. URL http://hospital.blood.co.uk>library> clinical guidelines and policies from NHSBT (Accessed 26/10/12).
- NPSA (2006) Safer Practice Notice: right patient, right blood. URL http://www.nrls.npsa.nhs.uk/resources/type/alerts (Accessed 26/10/12).
- NPSA (2010) The transfusion of blood and blood components in an emergency: NPSA/2010/RRR017. URL http://www.nrls.npsa.nhs.uk.
- 1999) Direct agglutination crossmatch at room temperature (DRT): the results of a NEQAS (BTLP) questionnaire. Transfusion Medicine, 9, (Suppl. 1) 42. , , & (
- RCPATH (2009) The retention and storage of pathological records and specimens (4th edn). URL http://www.rcpath.org >publications (Accessed 26/10/12).
- 1987) Alloantibody responses in multiply transfused sickle cell patients. Tissue Antigens, 30, 161–166. (
- 1990) Reports of 355 transfusion-associated deaths: 1976 through 1985. Transfusion, 30, 583–590. (
- 2006) Red blood cell alloantibodies after transfusion: factors influencing incidence and specificity. Transfusion, 46, 250–256. , , & (
- SCS (2008) Standards for the clinical care of adults with sickle cell disease in the UK. URL http://www.sct.screening.nhs.uk/publications%3estandards%20and%20guidelines (Accessed 26/10/12).
- SHOT (1996–2010) Serious Hazards of Transfusion annual reports. URL http://shotuk.org (Accessed 26/10/12).
- 2002) Posttransplant immune-mediated hemolysis. Transfusion, 42, 198–204. , , , , , & (
- 1990) Red cell alloantibodies in patients with thalassemia. Vox Sanguinis, 58, 50–55. , , , , & (
- 2006) Serious hazards of transfusion: a decade of hemovigilance in the UK. Transfusion Medicine Reviews, 20, 273–282. , , et al. (
- UK thalassaemia society (2008) Standards for the clinical care of children and adults with thalassaemia in the UK. URL sct.screening.nhs.uk/publications>standards and guidelines(Accessed 26/10/12)
- UKNEQAS Annual Reports 2005 to 2011. Blood Transfusion Laboratory Practice. URL http://www.ukneqasbtlp.org.
- 1988) Replicate tests for the detection and correction of errors in antihuman globulin (AHG) tests: optimum conditions and quality control. Haematologia, 21, 3–16. , , , , & (