Evaluation of antiretroviral therapy results in a resource-poor setting in Blantyre, Malawi
Article first published online: 28 APR 2005
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 10, Issue 5, pages 464–470, May 2005
How to Cite
Van Oosterhout, J. J., Bodasing, N., Kumwenda, J. J., Nyirenda, C., Mallewa, J., Cleary, P. R., De Baar, M. P., Schuurman, R., Burger, D. M. and Zijlstra, E. E. (2005), Evaluation of antiretroviral therapy results in a resource-poor setting in Blantyre, Malawi. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 10: 464–470. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2005.01409.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2005
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2005
- 1997) Quantification of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 RNA from dried plasma spots collected on filter paper. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 35, 2795–2801. , , , , , et al. (
- Cipla Website (2004) Product information available at: http://www.cipla.com/ourproducts/Antiretrovirals/triomune1.htm. Accessed 13 September 2004.
- 2003) Monitoring of human immunodeficiency virus infection in resource-constrained countries. Clinical Infectious Diseases 37(Suppl. 1), 25–35. , , & (
- 2001) Single rapid real-time monitored isothermal RNA amplification assay for quantification of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 isolates from groups M, N, and O. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 39, 1378–1384. , , , , , et al. (
- 2003) Evaluation of the HIV-1 RNA RetinaTM rainbow assay on plasma and dried plasma spots: correlation with the Roche Amplicor HIV-1 v1.5 assay [abstract no. 1231]. Presented at: 2nd IAS Conference on HIV Pathogenesis and Treatment, Paris, France. , , et al. (
- Department of Health and Human Services (2004) Guidelines for the Use of Antiretroviral Agents in HIV-1-Infected Adults and Adolescents. Available at: http://AIDSinfo.nih.gov. Accessed 13 September 2004.
- 2003) Therapeutic drug monitoring of the HIV/AIDS drugs abacavir, zidovudine, efavirenz, nevirapine, indinavir, lopinavir, and nelfinavir. Pharmacology 69, 197–204. , , , & (
- 2000) Community-based approaches to HIV treatment in resource-poor settings. Lancet 358, 404–409. , , , , , et al. (
- 2001) Preventing antiretroviral anarchy in sub-Saharan Africa. Lancet 358, 410–414. , , , & (
- 2003) The safety, tolerability and effectiveness of generic antiretroviral drug regimens for HIV-infected patients in south India. AIDS 17, 2267–2269. , , et al. (
- HIVpharmacology Website (2004) http://www.HIVpharmacology.com. Accessed 13 September 2004.
- 2000) Determination of nevirapine, an HIV-1 non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor, in human plasma by reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography. Journal of Chromatography B 744, 65–71. , , , , , (
- 2004) Immunologic and virologic evolution during periods of intermittent and persistent low-level viremia. AIDS 18, 981–989. , , , , , et al. (
- Malawi Ministry of Health and Population Website (2004) Available at: http://www.malawi.gov.mw/health/health2edoc.htm. Accessed 13 September 2004.
- National Tuberculosis Control Programme, Ministry of Health HIV/AIDS Unit, Department of Clinical Services Ministry of Health, National AIDS Commission (2004) Report of a countrywide survey of HIV/AIDS services in Malawi (for the year 2003), Lilongwe, Malawi.
- 2003) Co-administration of rifampicine and nevirapine in HIV infected patients with tuberculosis. AIDS 17, 637–638. , , , , , et al. (
- 2003) Sex differences in nevirapine disposition in HIV-infected patients. AIDS 17, 2399–2400. , , , , , et al. (
- 2004) Relationships between efavirenz pharmacokinetics, side effects, drug discontinuation, virologic response, and race: results from ACTG A5095/A5097s [Abstract 132]. Presented at: 11th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections, San Francisco, CA. , , , , , et al. (
- 2003) Highly active antiretroviral therapy in resource-poor settings: the experience of Medecins Sans Frontieres. AIDS 17, 1995–1997. , , & (
- 2002) Adherence to antiretroviral therapy by human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients. Journal of Infectious Diseases 185(Suppl. 2), S143–S151. (
- 2001) High exposure to nevirapine in plasma is associated with an improved virological response in HIV-1-infected individuals. AIDS 15, 1089–1095. , , , , , et al. (
- 2002) Assessment of a pilot antiretroviral drug therapy programme in Uganda: patients’ response, survival, and drug resistance. Lancet 360, 34–40. , , , , , et al. (
- WHO (2004) Staging System for HIV Infection and Disease in Adults and Adolescents. Available at http://www.who.int/docstore/hiv/scaling/anex1.html. Accessed 13 September 2004.
- WHO Website (2004). Available at: http://www.who.int/3by5/about/en/. Accessed 13 September 2004.
- World Health Organisation (2004) Scaling up Antiretroviral Therapy in Resource Poor Settings: Guidelines for a Public Health Approach 2003 Revision. Available at: http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/prev_care/en/arvrevision2003en.pdf. Accessed 13 September 2004.
- 1999) Population pharmacokinetics of nevirapine, zidovudine, and didanosine in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients. The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases AIDS Clinical Trials Group Protocol 241 Investigators. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 43, 121–128. , , , , , et al. (