Retention and effectiveness of HIV/AIDS training of traditional healers in far western Nepal
Article first published online: 16 JUN 2005
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 10, Issue 7, pages 640–646, July 2005
How to Cite
Poudel, K. C., Jimba, M., Joshi, A. B., Poudel-Tandukar, K., Sharma, M. and Wakai, S. (2005), Retention and effectiveness of HIV/AIDS training of traditional healers in far western Nepal. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 10: 640–646. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2005.01443.x
- Issue published online: 16 JUN 2005
- Article first published online: 16 JUN 2005
- 1996) The history of discovery and response. In: AIDS in the World II (eds JMann & DTarantola) Oxford University Press, New York, pp. 429–440. (
- 2002) HIV/AIDS in Nepal: the making of a cultural model. Contribution to Nepalese Studies 29, 275–310. (
- 1994) AIDS and STDs in Africa: Bridging the Gap between Traditional Healing and Modern Medicine. Westview Press, San Francisco, CA. (
- 1995) The experience of an AIDS prevention program focused on South African traditional healers. Social Science and Medicine 40, 503–515. , & (
- 1997) AIDS in Nepal: Communities Confronting an Emerging Epidemic. Seven Stories Press, New York, pp. 85–104. (
- 2003) The need for linking healthcare-seeking behaviour and health policy in rural Nepal 2003. Southeast Asian Journal of Public Health and Tropical Medicine 34, 2–3. , & (
- 1997) Involving traditional healers in AIDS education and counselling in sub-Saharan Africa: a review. AIDS 11 (Suppl. A), S217–S225. & (
- Ministry of Health (2002) FCHV programme. In: Department of Health Services Annual Report 2058/2059 (2001/2002). MoH, Kathmandu, pp. 95–100.
- Ministry of Health [Nepal], New ERA & ORC Macro (2002) Nepal Demographic and Health Survey 2001. Family Health Division, Ministry of Health; New ERA; and ORC Macro, Calverton, MD.
- 1995) Acronyms and effacement: traditional medical practitioners (TMP) in international health development. Social Science and Medicine 41, 47–68. (
- 2001) Languages of sex and AIDS in Nepal: notes on the social production of commensurability. Cultural Anthropology 16, 481–541. (
- 2003) Mumbai disease in far western Nepal: HIV infection and syphilis among male migrant-returnees and non-migrants. Tropical Medicine and International Health 8, 933–939. , , , , & (
- 2004a) Migration in far western Nepal: a time bomb for a future HIV/AIDS epidemic? Tropical Doctor 34, 30–31. , , , , & (
- 2004b) Migrants’ risky sexual behaviours in India and at home in far western Nepal. Tropical Medicine and International Health 9, 897–903. , , , & (
- 2003) Factors influencing women's use of health services for sexually transmitted infections in eastern Nepal. Australian Health Review 26, 116–123. , & (
- 2000) AIDS in a new millennium. Science 289, 64–67. , , & (
- 1980) Faith Healers: a Force for Change. Educational Enterprises, Kathmandu, pp. 6–7. & (
- 1988) The case of one sample, two measures or paired replicates. In: Nonparametric Statistics for the Behavioural Sciences (ed. AnkerJD). McGraw-Hill, Boston, MA, pp. 73–101. & (
- 1998) Evaluation of an AIDS training program for traditional healers in the Central African Republic. AIDS Education and Prevention 10, 558–564. , , et al. (
- 1992) Cultural influences in community participation in health. Social Science and Medicine 35, 409–417. (
- UNAIDS (2000) Collaboration with Traditional Healers in HIV/AIDS Prevention and Care in Sub-Saharan Africa: a Literature Review. UNAIDS, Geneva.
- UNAIDS (2002) Ancient Remedies, New Disease: Involving Traditional Healers in Increasing Access to AIDS Care and Prevention in East Africa. UNAIDS, Geneva.
- 1997) A randomised controlled trial to reduce the risk of transmission of HIV by traditional healers. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 50 (Supl. 1), 20S (abstract). , , & (
- WHO (1990) Report on the Consultation on AIDS and Traditional Medicine: Prospects for Involving Traditional Health Practitioners. Francistown, Botswana.