Is early HIV testing of infants in poorly resourced prevention of mother to child transmission programmes unaffordable?
Article first published online: 18 OCT 2005
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 10, Issue 11, pages 1108–1113, November 2005
How to Cite
Sherman, G. G., Matsebula, T. C. and Jones, S. A. (2005), Is early HIV testing of infants in poorly resourced prevention of mother to child transmission programmes unaffordable?. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 10: 1108–1113. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2005.01495.x
- Issue published online: 26 OCT 2005
- Article first published online: 18 OCT 2005
- African Network for the care of children affected by HIV/AIDS (ANECCA) (2003) Early Diagnosis and Care of HIV Infected Children. Workshop report, Kampala, Uganda.
- 2001) Rational testing of the HIV-Exposed Infant. Pediatrics 108, e3. , , et al. (
- 2002) Integration of statistical theory and practical clinical expertise. Polymerase chain reaction testing of the HIV-exposed infant. Minerva Pediatrica 54, 105–111. (
- 1997) Blood collection on filter paper: a practical approach to sample collection for studies of perinatal HIV transmission. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 14, 368–373. , , et al. (
- 1991) Use of dried blood spot specimens in the detection of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 by the polymerase chain reaction. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 29, 667–671. , , , , & (
- Centers for Disease Control (1995) Revised guidelines for prophylaxis against pneumocystis carinii pneumonia for children infected with or perinatally exposed to human immunodeficiency virus. MMWR 44, 1–11.
- 1995) Seroreversion in human immunodeficiency virus-exposed but uninfected infants. The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 14, 382–387. , , , , & (
- 1994) Cost Analysis in Primary Health Care: A Training Manual for Programme Managers. World Health Organisation, Geneva. & (
- Department of Health (2004) Summary Report: National HIV and Syphilis Antenatal sero-Prevalence Survey in South Africa, 2003. Pretoria, South Africa.
- 2003) An evaluation of the prevention of mother-to-child transmission (PMTCT) of HIV initiative in South Africa. Lessons and key recommendations. Available at: http://www.hst.org.za/uploads/files/pmtct_national.pdf [Accessed 10 August 2004]. , , et al. (
- 1995) The sensitivity of polymerase chain reaction for the detection of HIV-1 infection in neonates. AIDS 9, 7–11. , , et al. (
- Gauteng Department of Health (2001) Management of HIV Infection in Children: Guidelines for Clinics and Hospitals. Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) – World Health Organisation (1997) Revised recommendations for the selection and use of HIV antibody tests. Weekly Epidemiological Record 72, 81–87.
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) (2004) 2004 Report on the Global HIV/AIDS Epidemic, 4th Global Report. UNAIDS, Geneva.
- [Updated 07/03/2002]. Interim findings on the national PMTCT pilot sites: lessons and recommendations. http://www.hst.org.za/pubs/pmtct/pmtctinterim.htm [accessed 17 March 2004].
- 1995) Predicting perinatal human immunodeficiency virus infection by antibody patterns. The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 14, 850–852. , , & (
- 2000) Diagnosis of human immunodeficiency virus infection in perinatally exposed orphaned infants in a resource poor setting. The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 19, 1014–1015. , , & (
- 2004) PMTCT from research to reality – results from a routine service. South African Medical Journal 94, 289–292. , , , & (
- 2005) Dried blood spots improve access to HIV diagnosis and care for infants in low resource settings. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 38, 615–617. , , , & (
- 2005) Oral fluid human immunodeficiency virus tests: improved access to diagnosis for infants in poorly resourced prevention of mother to child transmission programs. The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 24, 253–256. & (