Finding patients eligible for antiretroviral therapy using TB services as entry point for HIV treatment
Article first published online: 11 SEP 2006
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 11, Issue 10, pages 1567–1575, October 2006
How to Cite
Bwire, R., Nagelkerke, N. J. D. and Borgdorff, M. W. (2006), Finding patients eligible for antiretroviral therapy using TB services as entry point for HIV treatment. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 11: 1567–1575. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2006.01712.x
- Issue published online: 11 SEP 2006
- Article first published online: 11 SEP 2006
- 2004) Implementing antiretroviral therapy in resource-constrained settings: opportunities and challenges in integrating HIV and tuberculosis care. AIDS 18, 975–979. , , , & (
- 1992) Two-year incidence of tuberculosis in cohorts of HIV-infected and uninfected urban Rwandan women. The American Review of Respiratory Disease 146, 1439–1444. , , et al. (
- 1995) Risk factors for tuberculosis in HIV-infected persons. A prospective cohort study. Journal of the American Medical Association 274, 143–148. , , & (
- 1991) A retrospective cohort study of the risk of tuberculosis among women of childbearing age with HIV infection in Zaire. The American Review of Respiratory Disease 143, 501–504. , , et al. (
- 1996) Progression of HIV: follow-up of Edinburgh injecting drug users with narrow seroconversion intervals in 1983–1985. AIDS 10, 419–430. , , et al. (
- 2003) The growing burden of tuberculosis: global trends and interaction with the HIV epidemic. Archives of Internal Medicine 163, 1009–1021. , , , , , et al. (
- 2002) Evaluation of initial CD4+ T cell counts in individuals with newly diagnosed human immunodeficiency virus infection, by sex and race, in urban settings. Journal of Infectious Diseases 185, 1818–1821. , , , , , et al. (
- 2001) Community-based treatment of advanced HIV disease: introducing DOT-HAART (directly observed therapy with highly active antiretroviral therapy). Bulletin of the World Health Organization 79, 1145–1151. , , , , & (
- 1997) The impact of HIV on morbidity and mortality from tuberculosis in sub-Sahara Africa: a study in rural Malawi and review of the literature. Health Transition Review 7 (Suppl. 2), 75–87. , , , , & (
- 2000) CD4 cell counts in adults with newly diagnosed HIV infection: results of surveillance in England and Wales, 1990–1998. CD4 Surveillance Scheme Advisory Group. AIDS 14, 853–861. , , , & (
- 2001) Preventing antiretroviral anarchy in sub-Sahara Africa. Lancet 358, 410–414. , , , & (
- 2002) Highly active antiretroviral therapy and tuberculosis control in Africa: synergies and potential. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 80, 464–469. , , & (
- 2004) TB/HIV: a clinical manual. 2nd Edn. WHO, Geneva. , & (
- 1997) Incidence of tuberculosis in the United States among HIV-infected persons. Annals of Internal Medicine 126, 123–132. , , et al. (
- 2002) HIV-1 infection in rural Africa: is there a difference in median time to AIDS and survival compared with that in industrialized countries? AIDS 16, 597–603. , , , , & (
- 1997) Tuberculosis and HIV: current status in Africa. AIDS 11 (Suppl. B), S115–S123. , , , & (
- The President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (2004) U.S. Five-year global HIV/AIDS strategy. Available at: http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/29831.pdf. (accessed on 2 July 2004).
- UNAIDS (2004) 2004 report on the global HIV/AIDS epidemic: 4th global report. June 2004. UNAIDS, Geneva.
- 2003) Epidemiological estimates of infectious diseases in KwaZulu–Natal. KwaZulu-Natal Epidemiology Bulletin 2, 2–33. (
- 2003) Antiretroviral drugs for tuberculosis control in the era of HIV/AIDS. Science 301, 1535–1537. & (
- World Health Organization (2004) UNAIDS/WHO Global HIV/AIDS Online database. Available at: http://www.who.int/globalatlas
- World Health Organization (2003a) The WHO and UNAIDS Global Initiative to Provide Antiretroviral Therapy to 3 Million People with HIV/AIDS in Developing Countries by the End of 2005. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2003b) Scaling Up Antiretroviral Therapy in Resource-limited Settings: Treatment Guidelines for a Public Health Approach, 2003 Revision. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.
- World Health Organization (2003c) Treatment of Tuberculosis: Guidelines for National Programmes, 3rd edn. WHO, Geneva, WHO/CDS/TB/2003.313.
- World Health Organization (2005a) Progress on Global Access to HIV Antiretroviral Therapy: An Update on ‘3 by 5’. WHO, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2005b) Global tuberculosis control: surveillance, planning, financing. WHO Report 2005. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland (WHO/HTM/TB/2005.349).