Malaria deaths as sentinel events to monitor healthcare delivery and antimalarial drug safety
Version of Record online: 15 APR 2007
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 12, Issue 5, pages 617–628, May 2007
How to Cite
Mehta, U., Durrheim, D. N., Blumberg, L., Donohue, S., Hansford, F., Mabuza, A., Kruger, P., Gumede, J. K., Immelman, E., Sánchez Canal, A., Hugo, J. J., Swart, G. and Barnes, K. I. (2007), Malaria deaths as sentinel events to monitor healthcare delivery and antimalarial drug safety. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 12: 617–628. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2007.01823.x
- Issue online: 15 APR 2007
- Version of Record online: 15 APR 2007
- 2004) Malaria misdiagnosis: effects on the poor and vulnerable. Lancet 364, 1896–1898. , , , (
- Anonymous (2004a) UNAIDS/WHO. Epidemiological fact sheets on HIV/AIDS and sexually transmitted infections: South Africa. http://www.who.int/globalatlas/predefinedReports/EFS2004/index.asp?strSelectedCountry=ZA (accessed on 28 March 2007).
- Anonymous (2000) Management of severe malaria: a practical handbook. World Health Organization, 2nd edn, 2000. WHO, Geneva, http://www.who.int/malaria/docs/hbsm_toc.htm (accessed on 16 January 2006).
- Anonymous (2002) Guidelines for the treatment of malaria in South Africa, August 2002. South African Department of Health, http://www.doh.gov.za/docs/factsheets/guidelines/malaria/treatment/ (accessed on 16 January 2006).
- Anonymous (2004b) Malaria and HIV/AIDS interactions and implications. Conclusions of a technical consultation convened by WHO, 23–25 June, 2004. http://www.who.int/malaria/malaria_HIV/malaria_hiv_flyer.pdf (accessed on 28 March 2007).
- 2005) Effect of artemether-lumefantrine policy and improved vector control on malaria burden in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. PLoS Medicine 2, 1123–1134. , , et al. (
- 2004) Conquering the intolerable burden of malaria: what's new, what's needed: a summary. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 71 (Suppl. 2), 1–15. , , (
- 1989) The role of confidential enquiries in the reduction of maternal mortality and alternatives to this approach. International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics 30, 41–45. (
- 2004) A positive outcome. Lancet 364, 663–664. , (
- 1999) Confidential enquiry into malaria deaths. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 77, 263–266. , , , , (
- 2002) Research that influences policy and practice-characteristics of operational research to improve malaria control in Mpumalanga Province, South Africa. Malaria Journal 1, 9. , , (
- 1994) Harmonization in pharmacovigilance. Drug Safety 10, 93–102. , (
- 2004) Assessment of inpatient paediatric care in first referral level hospitals in 13 districts in Kenya. Lancet 363, 1948–1953. , , et al. (
- 2006) Potential and limits of verbal autopsies. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 84, 164. , (
- 2000) Community knowledge and perceptions about malaria and practices influencing malaria control in Mpumalanga Province, South Africa. South African Medical Journal 90, 611–616. , , , , (
- 2005) Malaria. Lancet 365, 1487–1498. , , , (
- 2004) Integration of operational research into National Tuberculosis Control Programmes. Tuberculosis 83, 143–147. (
- 2006) Malaria deaths are the hardest to count. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 84, 165–166. (
- 2001) Malaria deaths in visitors to Canada and in Canadian travellers: a case series. Canadian Medical Association Journal 164, 654–659. , , , , , (
- 1997) The epidemiology of severe malaria in an area of low transmission in Thailand. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 91, 256–262. , , , , , (
- Malaria Research Programme. Medical Research Council (2005a) Malaria Risk in Southern Africa 2004/2005. Risk Map. http://www.http://www.malaria.org.za/Malaria_Risk/Risk_Maps/risk_maps.htm.
- Malaria Research Programme. Medical Research Council (2005b) Malaria Risk in Southern Africa 2004/2005.General malaria information. http://www.malaria.org.za/Malaria_Risk/General_Information/general_information.html (accessed on 28 March 2007).
- 2003) Admission diagnosis of cerebral malaria in adults in an endemic area of Tanzania: implications and clinical description. The Quarterly Journal of Medicine 96, 355–362. , , , , , (
- 2004) Malaria-related deaths in US travellers, 1963–2001. Annals of Internal Medicine 141, 547–555. , , , (
- 2003) Randomized comparison of artesunate and quinine in the treatment of severe falciparum malaria. Clinical Infectious Diseases 37, 7–16. , , et al. (
- 2005) The role of healthcare delivery in the outcome of meningococcal disease in children: case control study of fatal and non-fatal cases. BMJ 330, 1475. , , et al. (
- 2005) Learning from adverse events-the role of confidential enquiries. Seminars in Neonatal and Fetal Medicine 10, 39–43. , (
- 2003) Malaria deaths in a rural hospital. South African Family Practice Journal 45, 23–28. (
- 1998) Artesunate and mefloquine in the treatment of uncomplicated multidrug-resistant hyperparasitaemic falciparum malaria. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 92, 207–211. , , et al. (
- South East Asian Quinine Artesunate Malaria Trial (SEAQUAMAT) group (2005) Artesunate versus quinine for treatment of severe falciparum malaria: a randomised trial. Lancet 366, 717–725.
- Sub-Directorate: Vector-borne diseases. National Department of Health Issues: Malaria, National Department of Health, South Africa. http://www.doh.gov.za/issues/index.html (accessed on 28 March 2007).
- 2004) Antimalarial drug toxicity: a review. Drug Safety 27, 25–61. , (
- 1994) The limitations of verbal autopsy in a malaria-endemic region. Annals of Tropical Paediatrics 14, 31–36. , , , (
- 1998) Impact of chloroquine resistance on malaria mortality. Comptes Rendus de l'Académie des-Sciences de la vie/Life sciences 321, 689–697. , , et al. (
- 2003) Effectiveness of feedback for improving case management of malaria, diarrhoea and pneumonia – a randomized controlled trial at provincial hospitals in Lao PDR. Tropical Medicine and International Health 8, 901–909. , , et al. (
- 1993) A district confidential enquiry into deaths due to asthma. Thorax 48, 1117–1120. , , , , (
- World Health Organization (2000) Severe falciparum malaria. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 94 (Suppl. 1), 62.