Rapid achievement of the child survival millennium development goal: evidence from the Navrongo experiment in Northern Ghana
Version of Record online: 4 APR 2007
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 12, Issue 5, pages 578–593, May 2007
How to Cite
Binka, F. N., Bawah, A. A., Phillips, J. F., Hodgson, A., Adjuik, M. and MacLeod, B. (2007), Rapid achievement of the child survival millennium development goal: evidence from the Navrongo experiment in Northern Ghana. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 12: 578–593. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2007.01826.x
- Issue online: 4 APR 2007
- Version of Record online: 4 APR 2007
- 1997). Cultural factors constraining the introduction of family planning among the Kassena-Nankana of northern Ghana. Social Science and Medicine 45(12), 1789–1804. , , , , & (
- 1992). Is there a place for community health worker programmes in primary healthcare delivery in Ghana? A report of the evaluation of the Dangbe West District Community Health Workers Programme by the District Health Management Team. Accra, Ghana: Ministry of Health (Ghana) and The United Nations Children Fund. & (
- 2004). The impact of the community-based health planning and services (CHPS) program on maternal health in the Abura-Asebu Kwamankese District in Ghana. Paper presented at Population Association of America Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, 1–3 April 2004. , , , & (
- 2004). The impact of a replication project on safe motherhood and family planning behavior in Nkwanta District of Ghana. Studies in Family Planning 35, 161–177. , , , , & (
- 2005) Socioeconomic status and child mortality in Southern Africa. GENUS LXI, 1–2. & (
- 1995) The Navrongo Community Health and Family Planning Project. Studies in Family Planning 26, 121–139. , & (
- 1996) Impact of permethrin impregnated bed nets on child mortality in the Kassena-Nankana district, Ghana: a randomized controlled trial. Tropical Medicine and International Health 1 (Suppl. 2), 147–154. , , et al. (
- 1999) Assessing population dynamics in a rural African society: The Navrongo Demographic Surveillance System. Journal of Biosocial Science 1999 31, 373–391. , , , & (
- 1997) The impact of the African AIDS epidemic. Health and Transition Review 7 (Suppl. 2), 169–188. (
- Ghana Statistical Services (GSS), Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research (NMIMR) & ORC Macro (2004) Ghana Demographic and Health Survey 2003. GSS, NMIMR and RC Macro, Calverton, Maryland.
- Ghana Vitamin A Supplementation Trials (VAST) Study Team (1993) Vitamin A supplementation in northern Ghana: effects on clinical attendance, hospital admissions, and child mortality. Lancet 342 (Suppl. 8862), 7–12.
- 2002) Who would gain most from efforts to reach the Millennium Development Goals for health? An inquiry into the possibility of progress that fails to reach the poor. HNP Discussion Paper 2002 The World Bank. (
- 1999) Evaluation designs for adequacy, plausibility, and probability of public health programme performance and impact. International Journal of Epidemiology 28, 10–18. , & (
- 1993) Trends in childhood mortality. In: Demographic Change in Sub-Saharan Africa (ed. ) National Research Council, National Academic Pressf, Washington, DC, pp. 153–217. (
- 1990) The Bamako Initiative: primary health care. UNICEF, New York. , , , , & (
- 1993) Community financing of health care in Africa: an evaluation of the Bamako Initiative. Social Science in Medicine 1993 36 (Suppl. 11), 1383–1395. , & (
- 1994) The impact of HIV-1 infection on mortality in children under 5 years of age in sub-Saharan Africa: a demographic and epidemiologic analysis. AIDS 8, 995–1005. , , , & (
- 2005) The Ghana community-based health planning and services initiative: fostering evidence-based organizational change and development in a resource-constrained setting. Health Policy and Planning 20 (Suppl. 1), 25–34. , , , & (
- 2006) Scaling up experimental project success with the Community-based Health Planning and Services Initiative in Ghana. In: Scaling Up Health Service Delivery: From pilot innovations to policies and programmes (forthcoming) (eds RSimmons, PFajans & LGhiron) World Health Organization, Geneva. , , , & (
- 2006) Accelerating reproductive and child health programme impact with community-based services: the Navrongo experiment in Ghana. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 84, 949–955. , & (
- 2005) The Millennium Project: a plan for meeting the Millennium Development Goals. 12 January 2005. http://image.thelance. com.extras/04artweb.pdf. & (
- 1997) Age pattern of mortality in sub-Saharan Africa: an initial study of the impact of AIDS. A paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Population Association of America, Washington, DC. (
- 1999) Adult mortality in Africa in the era of AIDS. In: The African Population in the 21st Century. Proceedings of the Third African Population Conference, UAPS-NPU. Vol. II. (
- UNICEF (1995) The Bamako Initiative: Rebuilding health systems. UNICEF: The Bamako Initiative Management Unit, New York.
- United Nations (2006) The Millennium Development Goals Report 2006. United Nations, New York.