High efficacy of two artemisinin-based combinations (artemether–lumefantrine and artesunate plus amodiaquine) for acute uncomplicated malaria in Ibadan, Nigeria
Article first published online: 12 MAR 2008
© 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 13, Issue 5, pages 635–643, May 2008
How to Cite
Falade, C. O., Ogundele, A. O., Yusuf, B. O., Ademowo, O. G. and Ladipo, S. M. (2008), High efficacy of two artemisinin-based combinations (artemether–lumefantrine and artesunate plus amodiaquine) for acute uncomplicated malaria in Ibadan, Nigeria. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 13: 635–643. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2008.02043.x
- Issue published online: 16 APR 2008
- Article first published online: 12 MAR 2008
- 2002) Amodiaquine-artesunate versus amodiaquine for uncomplicated plasmodium malaria in African children: a randomised multicentre trial. Lancet 359, 1365–1372. , , et al. (
- 1997) Comparative efficacy of halofantrine, chloroquine and sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine for the treatment of acute uncomplicated falciparum malaria in Nigerian children. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 91, 58–62. , , , & (
- 2005) Efficacy and safety of artemether-lumefantrine (Coartem®) tablets (six-dose regimen) in African infants and children with acute uncomplicated malaria. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 99, 459–467. , , , , & (
- FMOH (2004) National Malaria Treatment Policy. Federal Ministry of Health, National Malaria and Vector Control Division, Abuja, Nigeria.
- 2006) High efficacy of two artemisinin-based combinations (artesunate + amodiaquine and artemether + lumefantrine) in Caala, Central Angola. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 75, 143–145. , , et al. (
- 2003) Point mutations in the pfcrt and pfmdr-1 genes of Plasmodium falciparum and clinical response to chloroquine, among malaria patients from Nigeria. Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology 97, 439–451. , , et al. (
- 2004) Molecular analysis of Plasmodium falciparum recrudescent malaria infections in children treated with chloroquine in Nigeria. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 70, 20–26. , , et al. (
- 1985) Qinghaosu (artemisinin): an antimalarial drug from China. Science 228, 1049–1055. (
- 2001) A clinical pharmacokinetic trial of six doses of artemether-lumefantrine for multidrug-resistant Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Thailand. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 64, 247–256. , , et al. (
- 2006) Efficacy and safety of the six-dose regimen of artemether-lumefantrine in paediatrics with uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria: a pooled analysis of individual patient data. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 74, 991–998. , , et al. (
- 2006) Safety and efficacy of artemether-lumefantrine (Coartem®) for the treatment of uncomplicated malaria in Zambian adults. Malaria Journal 5, 72. doi: 10.1186/1475-2875-5-73. , , et al. (
- 2004) Developing artemisinin based drug combinations for the treatment of drug resistant falciparum malaria: a review. Journal of Postgraduate Medicine 50, 40–44. & (
- 2003) Monitoring antimalarial drug resistance: making the most of the tool at hand. The Journal of Experimental Biology 206, 3745–3752. (
- Novartis Co-Artemether International Development Team (1998) Positioning, labelling, and medical information control of co-artemether tablets (CPG 56697): a fixed novel combination of artemether and benflumetol. Medicine Tropicals 58(Suppl. 3), 77–81. , & the
- 2005) The global distribution of clinical episodes of Plasmodium falciparum malaria. Nature 434, 214–217. , , , & (
- 1992) Evaluation of the relative efficacy of various antimalarial drugs in Nigerian children under five years of age suffering from acute uncomplicated falciparum malaria. Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology 86, 1–8. & (
- 2005) Open randomized study of artesunate-amodiaquine vs. chloroquine-pyrimethamine-sulfadoxine for the treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Nigerian children. Tropical Medicine and International Health 10, 1161–1170. , , et al. (
- 2004) Antimalarial drug toxicity: a review. Drug Safety 27, 25–61. & (
- 1997) Assessment of the pharmacodynamic properties of antimalarial drugs in vivo. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 41, 1413–1422. (
- World Health Organization (2001) Antimalarial Drug Combination Therapy: Report of a WHO Technical Consultation. (WHO/CDS/RBM/2001.35) WHO, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2003) Assessment and Monitoring of Antimalarial Drug Efficacy for the Treatment of Uncomplicated Falciparum Malaria. (WHO/HTM/RBM/2003.50) WHO, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2006a) Facts on ACTS (Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies) January 2006 update. WHO, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2006b) WHO Briefing on Malaria Treatment Guidelines and Artemisinin Monotherapies. WHO, Geneva.
- 2005) Treatment of paediatric malaria during a period of drug transition to artemether-lumefantrine in Zambia: cross-sectional study. British Medical Journal 331, 734–738. , , , , & (